• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM vs XP

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
It's simple really. The XP is a giant POS that 90% of people won't even ride and figure sitting at home is a better option. The XM on the other hand is like winning the lotto. But different. It's awesome.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
It's simple really. The XP is a giant POS that 90% of people won't even ride and figure sitting at home is a better option. The XM on the other hand is like winning the lotto. But different. It's awesome.

Yeah... that's about the best explanation I've seen... Matches up with my experiences!:face-icon-small-hap

I'd take up XC skiing rather than ride an xp.:face-icon-small-ton

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
my gramma spanks xm's on her old 50 pound lighter xp

Last edited:
M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
ok,

thanks again for the discussion , not trying to argue but really trying to get beyond the hype.

just going by what people are saying
the big diffs are

rear skid
running boards
track
plastics
rider forward steering post

just breaking that down some

would the one key attribute be rider forward post?

the skid ... not sure i buy that.. same geometry as past models of any make. 4* bng

track .. same as skid .. but together could have a complementary effect with skid ,, but to what effect really

plastics .. does the plastics change where your foot goes from the xp?..

running boards.. ridability .. i buy this

rider forward post
this is the thing that gets my attention more than any of the mentioned "big changes"

would the rider forward attribute be the most significant improvement from the xp to the xm in terms of rider / machine interaction ?

and if that is true .. do the rider forward post solutions available to the xp currently enable the xp to rival the xm .?

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
The big diff is my gramma can tip xm over with one hand in the showroom.wide open in deep pow.not much diff.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
So yes.feet 3 inches forward over the driveshaft with a spongy front end is the biggest diff.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
ok,

thanks again for the discussion , not trying to argue but really trying to get beyond the hype.

just going by what people are saying
the big diffs are

rear skid
running boards
track
plastics
rider forward steering post

just breaking that down some

would the one key attribute be rider forward post?

the skid ... not sure i buy that.. same geometry as past models of any make. 4* bng

track .. same as skid .. but together could have a complementary effect with skid ,, but to what effect really

plastics .. does the plastics change where your foot goes from the xp?..

running boards.. ridability .. i buy this

rider forward post
this is the thing that gets my attention more than any of the mentioned "big changes"

would the rider forward attribute be the most significant improvement from the xp to the xm in terms of rider / machine interaction ?

and if that is true .. do the rider forward post solutions available to the xp currently enable the xp to rival the xm .?

Skid & track work together to allow the sled to flow into a sidehill much smoother(neither seems "big" but together they really are very different), disconnect the swaybar and it's even smoother (I've ridden them connected, and because of that I've never connected mine once)

I think the track/skid is what makes it feel different and NOT feel "skidooish) right off the bat to most folks, and the post forward, running boards, and plastics together allow you to push it even further.

I couldn't ride in the position I'm at with my rise how it is on an XP though... So I feel the ability to run the post inline with the riser without sitting on the tunnel is a pretty big factor as well. You can still make an XM handle like poop by running the riser vertical though, so if you really hate riding effectively, you CAN set them up the wrong way with a bit of work :D

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Poeple don't understand (or want to) for the most part. They are NOT the same chassis. When the XM came out I was the first to say that they bandaided the XP with some funky suspension and track. NOT the case. My dealer has a piece of paper with the Pro, XP, and XM on it, with lines drawn through all the critical control and suspension points, the XM and XP do not share the same geometry. It kills me when guys spend a ton of money on Flextrack, T-Motions, and S-36 for the XP and think that they built an XM. NOT the case. My only experience on an XP was my bud's 2010 with an S36 that I put on it. While he was riding my XM, I tried it. Three turns and I sat on it until he came back with my sled, it was more fun to sit in the sun and watch him ride an XM than actually ride his XP.
Now take a 2013 Freeride, in an "XP" chassis: Yes, XP chassis, no, not a Summit XP chassis, that is in the RS XP race chassis, which is also completely different. Forward bars, it feels much more like an XM than an XP, but it isn't either.
In my opinion, the "X" SUmmit has turned into more of what the early 2000's Adrenaline package Summits were. Nothing really super special, just slightly better parts. The Freeride is now the new "Summit X" in my opinion, now that it is in the XM chassis. Much better shocks, stronger chassis, etc., just like the old X models used to be. My bud rode a 2014 Freeride, he has an XM, the only difference from a Summit XM being the better parts mentioned, is that it had a 40 inch front end instead of 36. He said it did everything just as well as a Summit on the mountain, it even paneled less because of the width, but it was 100% better on the trail in and out. I always have had two sleds, one for me, one for wife, and to make sure that I always have a runner in case of a problem with one, as winter is short. This year it is a 154 Summit X for deep days and a 146 Freeride for most days and spring riding. Honestly, I would love an RS for trail/bumps/rivers also, as no sled does everything perfect. But I think in the next couple of years, you are going to see a lot less Summits and a lot more Freerides. More expensive, yes, but you get a lot more in the shocks and other stuff. An older couple here checked a couple of Freerides even, for the adjustablility of the shocks and the fact that they are now a higher end XM instead of the older XP based chassis/suspensions.
Chris

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Skid & track work together to allow the sled to flow into a sidehill much smoother(neither seems "big" but together they really are very different), disconnect the swaybar and it's even smoother (I've ridden them connected, and because of that I've never connected mine once)

I think the track/skid is what makes it feel different and NOT feel "skidooish) right off the bat to most folks, and the post forward, running boards, and plastics together allow you to push it even further.

I couldn't ride in the position I'm at with my rise how it is on an XP though... So I feel the ability to run the post inline with the riser without sitting on the tunnel is a pretty big factor as well. You can still make an XM handle like poop by running the riser vertical though, so if you really hate riding effectively, you CAN set them up the wrong way with a bit of work :D

LOL. You can set them up the wrong way with a bit of work. :)
I took mine out of the crate, and rode it, I never touched one setting on it all winter.
Freeride I messed with a little, swaybar disconnect, it didn't make as positive of a difference on the hill as it did negative on the trail. Stiffer secondary spring, I destroyed a belt in 50 miles. Tried a can also, didn't care for the sound, it is all stock now.
Years of being a wrench, then building silly fast Mod King Cat/M1000, I finally realized that I want to ride and not wrench, so I am VERY happy that Doo (everyone really) is putting out sleds that need nothing to go and run/rip on!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I will say one negative thing though, those engines take forever to break in. Lol. Realistically though, after only 50 miles or so they are ripping pretty well, very similar to when I broke in my Pro last year, right off the bat I was likje "OMG this thing is a turd", but within a good ride it was feeling pretty good. You never really know when it comes off break-in, as it is so gradual, it is just a mental thing that you want it done, lol.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
Same bulk head. Same a arms. Same shock mount location. Same tunnel.. Same skid mount location?. If yes then that's rt he same geometry

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Fine, then go buy an XP and turn it into an XM. Like I said, people don't want to believe. Look up some part numbers.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I have a 12 xp with the tmo, my buddie has a xm. side by side they are almost the same. ride almost the same also. in fact I think I have more time on his sled than he does. get the bars out of your gut and vertical on the xp with the tmo and its a sled you can actually carve with!!!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Sandman, I will admit, the bars were one of the bigest issues for me. Harder than hard to carve when your nuts are sitting on the bars. The one I rode didn't have the T-motion or track, but it had the S36, it was still impossible to ride. Easy to flip up, yes, impossible to keep it there.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I totally agree, tried the "inline" bars and hated it. also did not like the sled at all until I put the tmo in, now I love it:)

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Really. Maybe I will upgrade bud's sled some more, as he only rides a few times a year and kinda kikes it. (He is more into snowbikes now.) What was the steering upgrade? T-Motion is easy and cheap. Did you do the track?

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
just put the bars vertical, don't get where people say it steers weird like this, seem fine to me. although i'm usually up on one ski;) no track just tmo, makes it a TOTALLY different sled!!!

Premium Features