• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How long is too long for repairs???

C
Oct 18, 2010
Parker, Colorado
I just want to see what everyone's opinion is to see if I'm just being difficult.

I live in Parker Co. and ride a m1000 turbo. I don't work on it myself but found a mechanic that is very skilled with the m series sleds that's close to the area. I met this mechanic two seasons ago and up until now has done great.

So Now the opinions...

I dropped my sled off to this mechanic this last March. Going on 4 months ago. He started off with the task of going through the machine and checking it over. It then went to new pistons... which ok, that's cool. Then he said since we're already in the motor, why not balance and check the crank. I said sure why not. So it's basically a rebuild on the motor. No problem, he called me first and I agreed to it.

My question is this, How long is this supposed to take? We're at the four month mark and I'm still getting the "in a couple weeks" responses to my inquiring as to when I get my sled back.

Am I being anal retentive about getting my sled back into one piece again especially since it's summer and I can't use it anyway???

My patience is getting very very thin now. But I would love some input on how much tolerance for this situation I should continue to have. I kind of trust the guy but since he runs his shop out of his house garage and he's sitting on over 12 grand worth of my machinery, I'm getting very concerned. The "in a couple of weeks" answers to my project completion questions have been going on for months and that alone has begun to damage the trust I have/had with this person.

anybody???

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
That's a job we would have for a week or 2 or so depending on parts. Its a tricky situation sometimes with parts and finding new problems. If the guy made you a deal in order to save you a few bucks I can also see him taking care of the paying work first. If the guys does it on the side you also have to take his family and other jobs into play. If the guys does good work, you trust him and the price is right whats the difference if it sits in your garage or his?

Once the snow flies all bets are off:usa2:

bparks

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Evergreen, Co
i would agree with you its been a long time but what boston said is all good stuff you need to factor in sucks its been 4 months but at least when you get it for this year itwill be all new and ready to go

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
4 weeks max even if the crank needs to be shipped to be re-balanced. I work on sleds/audi's in my garage all year long. If all the parts are there then it's in/out within a week, if not 1-2 days. I don't like other people's stuff in my garage. 4 months is too long IMO. I have a friend that's like that who has 2 transmissions of mine apart. It annoys the hell out of me.

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
I'm on the fence I guess. If it was my boy like Bill or someone else that I trusted, knew where they lived, knew some of his other friends and what not, I would chalk it up to he is taking his time to do it right but not rushing since we can't ride. On the other hand if I wasn't to sure about the guy it might get a little frustrating, like a contractor stretching out a job or something, it annoys me. I guess it's all perspective, you don't wanna ruin a relationship, especially if he's good at what he does, but I too like having my sled nestled in my own garage even in the summer...
P

P.s. I know my response probably did you know good what so ever but I hope it works out and I'm sure it will all be worth it when the snow flies bro ;)

snow_god

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2011
southwest wisconsin
Instead of calling to see when its gonna b done next time. Maybe just go visit him in person. If its not done atleast have him show the progress hes making. Tends to have a little bigger impact if you show up in person than over the phone.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Send it off to a different crank shop if the one he uses can't get it done within a reasonable amount of time.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Instead of calling to see when its gonna b done next time. Maybe just go visit him in person. If its not done atleast have him show the progress hes making. Tends to have a little bigger impact if you show up in person than over the phone.

Yeah... that's why I stop by Bparks's house... to intimidate him into working on my sled first... works like a charm:face-icon-small-ton:crutch:

Good point though, it's always better to see someone in person so you can show them what's done, and they can see in person why something took longer, etc.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I am with everyone else. I would tell the guy that you are going to be in the area in a few days and would like to stop by to see his progress. If you still get the run around like he is not going to be around or is extremely busy or anything like that I would definitely drive by unannounced to see the progress. I read too many of these stories about good mechanics falling on hard times and praying on their faithful customers that are willing to let things slide over and over again.
For sure I am not saying that this is what is happening in your situation. Yes their are good mechanics out there that take their time and do things right, let you know if they discover anything things else that needed to be addressed. Often times mechanics get the same run around from their parts houses and can only relay the same thing back to there customers.
If you are starting to get a bad feeling about, it trust the feeling, and stop by announced/unannounced for a visit if for nothing else your own peace of mind. good luck

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I always like having the sled in my possession. What happens if his place burns down (a legit question in Colorado these days)? There was a story going last winter about a guy who was working on sleds and had to move. It was a huge court battle because he had stuff all over and a bunch of projects started and not finished. Guys were trying to show up to drag all their parts home and it was a fight.

Chances are he is wrapped up in other things in his life like the rest of us. What would worry me about that is that he could have your sled tore down. If he comes back in three months, will he have everything together? I'd give another vote for visiting him first hand.

C
Oct 18, 2010
Parker, Colorado
I always like having the sled in my possession. What happens if his place burns down (a legit question in Colorado these days)? There was a story going last winter about a guy who was working on sleds and had to move. It was a huge court battle because he had stuff all over and a bunch of projects started and not finished. Guys were trying to show up to drag all their parts home and it was a fight.

Chances are he is wrapped up in other things in his life like the rest of us. What would worry me about that is that he could have your sled tore down. If he comes back in three months, will he have everything together? I'd give another vote for visiting him first hand.

I actually visited him about 1 1/2 months ago showing up un-anounced. Before I showed up he told me that the project was mostly together and he was just waiting on an o-ring for the turbo. When I showed up, my sled was still tore down with the new parts sitting on the seat. I didn't really speak up then, I just figured he was getting ready to put it together and lied to keep me happy for just a couple of days. BUT STILL A HUGE TRUST BUSTER!

I took the 1 1/2 hr drive up there again two weeks ago but he wasn't home so I couldn't see my sled because I'm assuming it's still in his garage.

He called me that day and told me work has been slow so he took a part time job 3 days a week but that he was still waiting on the machine shop to balance the crank. I actually met with him in Denver and gave him some more $ to cover the crank figuring he might not have had money to get my crank paid. Hoping that would speed **** up. This next Tues it will have been two weeks since then. I will say that he seemed a bit un-caring when we spoke and didn't really seem to give a **** that I was wanting my sled back.

Last edited:
C
Oct 18, 2010
Parker, Colorado
You know, the thing that really bothers me is that I have been WAY f-ing cool to this dude and have always agreed to any upgrades or additional service work he said the sled should have. Partly because I want my sled to be sweet! But equally because I figured I would do everything I can to support a local guy trying to make it with his own business. I've also put so many good words out there for him and try to drum up business for him. My sled is bad a$$ so I always have dudes coming up and talking to me about it and every single time I give out his name and phone number.

I realize this is just a business situation but as F-ing cool as I have been to this dude, there is ABSOLUTELY no way I should be getting jerked around like this. Alright, I'm signing off to go visit my punching bag in the basement. It's kept me out of jail quite a few times so far... :boxing:

Last edited:
Premium Features