• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where is the challenge?

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
Last Saturday a group of us were playing on the south side of mt. Jefferson in Island Park Idaho/Montana. Another group pulled up next to us and one of the guys in that group was on a 2010 nytro. Behind the seat you could see the turbo intake sticking up so I knew he was boosted. In Utah you don’t see too many turbo nytro's running around so I was curious. I went over and talked to the guy for a while about his sled. Then he asked if I wanted to take it for a ride. My answer was a huge yes please. We were sitting at the bottom of this mountain that I had been playing on with my M1000. On my sled I could go up and over the top with the throttle pinned to the bars. I pointed his sled up a chute next to the one I was pulling and got on it. I was only at about 3/4 throttle. All the way up I was thinking HOLY FREEEEEEEKING CRAP, HANG ON. My question is this. There is NOTHING these things can’t climb. You point it where you want to go and hit the throttle and it WILL go up it. Where is the challenge for you guys that own these sleds? I would love to own one (if I had an extra $28,000 for his) but do you guys get bored of being able to easily climb anything and everything you point you sled at?

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
It puts a whole new perspective on climbing. Its not about can I anymore, its more like should I and how fast am i going to hit the top.

I Love boost

G

GRINreeper

Jan 5, 2010
Kelowna B.C.
With the few rides that I've had on mine, and the lack of "tomatoes" I have to actually attempt some BIG climbs I find myself playin in trees and meadows etc... since boosting my sled the fun factor has shot through the roof !! I have no problems bashin through (or up) trees. I can wheelie on demand, I feel way more G's when carving, and that sweet sound of the turbo I doubt will ever get old. now just need to master the donut.

My suspension is 100% stock 2010. the front end is defiantly a wild animal, even on small inclines its coming way up. knowing full well my machine is not set up for climbing I wouldn't change anything. with that said I find myself doing things in the trees that I wasnt before, and having a blast doing it.

IMO climbing goes like this:

#1 courage

#2 commitment

#3 rider

#4 Power

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
There are so many guys missing out on where sledding has gone the past 6 years.

Don't be fooled, these sleds will not climb everything. They will probably climb everything that the Island Park area has to offer. Mt Jefferson which use to be the pinnacle of hill climbs is now considered a bunny hill......... If you ride one of these sleds you will be forced to ride in steeper and deeper areas. There are countless chutes in Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, and Montana that have never been attempted let alone climbed. One of the great things about these sleds is they can get you into new country where you can boon dock in trackless snow. They are also taking boon docking to a new level.

T

triple Black

Dec 11, 2008
Revelstoke BC
www.farwestfilms.com
Totaly agree with spur that so many guys are missing out on where this sport has gone to. M1000 is a very fun sled to ride but its a whole new sport on a properly setup 4 stroke.

There is no shortage of challenge out there but to find challenge with these sleds you have to put the sled into area's where the consequinces are large! Snowmobile hillclimbing is the only sport where if you dont make the course your attempting it spits you back out and recks your ride!! Can you say adrenaline!!!

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
for me when riding boosted sleds or even n/a i know that most of time the sled is capable of making the climb. the challenge for me is how far can i go without a wreck. cause if i roll it down the hill and trash it season or 2 is done for me. all my extra coin is spent into my sled and travelling. thats my thrill i go as hard as i can but at the same failure is not an option or else season is over.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
oh trust me.. they dont climb anything.. they climb lots compared to the m1000... BUT.. then you step into a new relm of hillclimbing. where I used to play with my RT1000 we would sit and hammer a hill until we could get over the low shallow part of the hill. yeah, i can jump over that part now. but it allows me to take much more intesnse lines now... the power still runs out on me when I wish I had more.... but it allows me to take much different lines, i can slow down and change directions in the woods where normally I would have to keep it pinned and hope for the best.

it doesnt make everythign possible, it just changes what your sled can and cant do.. rider is still in question now! having power and making use of it versus just blasting over the top of the big open hills is the transition!

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Boosted 4 strokes can be difficult in the trees, speed is great when climbing, but climbing where there are trees and your doing 70MPH is also very difficult.A properly set up M1000 will out do most riders on 4 strokes in the trees or short quick climbs. I have owned both.

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
EDGE is that the 1st turbo sled you have rode

Ya, it was. After getting off his Nytro and then getting back on my M1000 it was kind of dissapointing. I shouldnt have rode it. My wife is going to kill me when I ask to get a 25,000+ dollar loan.

Last edited:
E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Look for a cheap hold over or used sled... no reason you should pay 20,000+ for a turbo. There is a guy in our group that bought a used turbo for under 1500, installed it on a used Apex and he runs the crap out of it... and it runs strong. I've seen some stupid cheap sleds for sale so look around.

I too owed at M1000 and I really liked it but once I got my Apex turbo'd I sold the cat. I like the big climbs but running through tight trees on short climbs is a lot of fun... you don't have to go fast but when you need the power and you want to change direction, nothing beats a turbo.

Also owned a TNytro for a while and I liked the TApex a lot better... just what works for me. My wife loves her TApex too... two turbo's in the family and looking for another one...:face-icon-small-sho Looks like early retirement is going to have to wait.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Utah Edge, i have to say alot that you say is true at times.. I have a apex and we have a 800 cat. Yesterday was the first time i rode that cat for the whole day and left the apex at home. And i have to say i had a blast! Alot of the hills we played on for some time before any one could get over the top and i do miss that.Almost can say i forgot what that was all about. The apex would have straight lined them like a scud missile. Dont get me wrong i do like the apex alot but i will be riding the hcr alot more. Oh... And tell you wife the turbo will be the last sled you will ever need. Worked for me!

Last edited:
E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
YA Spur ya should have seen the look on her face when she seen the CR 174 rails for the m10. She said,"those are 174 and you have a 162" ya... "So you need a track? I guess "and tunnel?" ahhhuh This is just as we are walking out the door for her B-day dinner F#$ckn turbos she said.lol

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
YA Spur ya should have seen the look on her face when she seen the CR 174 rails for the m10. She said,"those are 174 and you have a 162" ya... "So you need a track? I guess "and tunnel?" ahhhuh This is just as we are walking out the door for her B-day dinner F#$ckn turbos she said.lol

So your sayin I should wait until oct 4th to break the news of the 174:face-icon-small-dis

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
Boosted Yamaha's are the way to go. They won't climb everything but darn close. Seems to me it just depends how big your cojones feel that day and weighing in the decision whether or not you feel like riding your backup sled while your turbo is in the shop getting major medical repair after you've watched it roll all the way down the hill. Boondocking...piece of cake. With only a few pounds of boost pulling you through the trees you can grin while your buddies have their sleds pinned to do the same line. Reliability of Yamaha sleds is what has made them the 'Apex' observers:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features