• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'99 Mountain Max 600. $1,400 of work needs to be done. What to do?

Y
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonds, WA
Just got this sled for my girlfriend. Was my brothers sled, sold it for $1200. Had top end rebuilt 2,000 miles ago along with new bearings and bushings in chaincase/rear suspension, 141" track, updated axle, extroverts and updated steering column. Pretty much a new sled. Needless to say after the first ride of the season the clutch side piston ring caught a port and busted the piston and there are now pieces in the crank case. I'm not comfortable doing engine work so I brought it to my shop. He quoted me $1400 for new top end and crank bearings/seals replacement. I can't see putting that into the sled at this point. Should I part it out? Find a good motor (maybe swap it with a 700?). Looking for second opinions... Let me know what you guys think!

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
Personally stuff like this I like to see in person to buy so I personally would not buy off internet. But that is me.

I would look at you options depending on your area.
A: Another motor. Are there a used 600's motor around for less then $1200?
In your area? Can you get a whole sled with a good motor for less then $1200?
B: A donor sled. Are there any wrecked 600's around that you can use as a donor sled? Combine the best of each sled and sale the rest.
C: Part it out. and get another sled. Even if you sold as is for $1000 and bought another one for $1500 it only cost you $500.

Y
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonds, WA
The sled was my brothers and sat in the garage right next to mine. Him and I did all of the suspension work ourselves. Sled ran great at the end of last year.

Anyway, I'm looking for a wrecked sled or a motor right now. Also kicking around the idea of just selling as is.

MM800

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
What To Do???

Lots of options. Its just not that easy to drop a 700 triple in unless you can find a wrecked 700 sled. You need more than just the motor. Part it out will get ya some and then youll have to deal with the rest. Sell it whole is proably your best bet. Ive seen several sleds in my area for around 1200.00 to 1400.00. These are all triples. I know of a really nice mod for 1800.00. If it was a 700 it would be better to part it out.. 600...not so desireable. Sell it whole and move on. Just my 2 cents

K

kingofthemountain

Dec 21, 2008
Golden, Colorado
From personal experience, the 600 twins are hard to find. Not nearly as common as the 700 or even the 600 triple. If you can find a motor or parts then by all means fix it, but most likely your best option will be to part it out or sell as is.

Premium Features