• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

00' mm 700 primary clutch question

B
Dec 8, 2010
I am being re-introduced to snowmobiling and have been given a 00' mm 700 with a grenaded primary clutch. My question is what is the best option for replacement. I have read that the p-85 will work. is there and specific year or sled that it would come off of that would be best? What about a comet clutch? same question what do I have to look for to make sure that it will work. I understand about the weights and the springs having to be set up for my sled I am much more concerned with fitting on the sled without modifications to the sled? Thanks for your help.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
With out a doubt.....Get another yamaha clutch to put back on it. They use the same clutch from about 1996-2011 on almost ever modle. Just pick up a used one off e-bay or on here and put the correct spring and weights in it for your area.

These clutches hold up just fine on 200-300hp turbo 4-strokes. The only time they fail is when they have the wrong set-up in them, are overheated from belt slipping and cause stress cracks.

The primary on my Apex has 6800 miles on it and is in great condition. Eric

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I would agree get a stock clutch if you can salvage the weights or at least see what you had in it that would make it easy to set up the clutch.

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
With out a doubt.....Get another yamaha clutch to put back on it. They use the same clutch from about 1996-2011 on almost ever modle. Just pick up a used one off e-bay or on here and put the correct spring and weights in it for your area.

These clutches hold up just fine on 200-300hp turbo 4-strokes. The only time they fail is when they have the wrong set-up in them, are overheated from belt slipping and cause stress cracks.

The primary on my Apex has 6800 miles on it and is in great condition. Eric

What are the models??? I'm just wondering is all.... Thanks for the help

B
Dec 8, 2010
Unfortunately the only thing salvagable is the main spring the rollers and weights are broken or just missing. I have to start from scratch. I have been looking at the other clutches because the seem to be less expensive than the yamaha clutch.

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
Stay with the Yamaha clutch. I've got over 9000 miles on my original clutch without rebuilding it. Just blow it out with compressed air after every ride.

Ken...

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
I just went through my Yammi clutch. I weighed them out (fly weights) and they are 45g a piece. And it has a Black spring with a white dot (might be Bender but I'm not sure) Works great. My MM has Bender pipes on it. Stock gearing, 141" track.

Hope that helps ya for a starting point!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I just looked on e-bay, there are dozens of them on there between 250-350. Eric

B
Dec 8, 2010
pay the extra cash for a yamaha clutch. check with wreckers. where are you located?

I'm in Cle Elum Wa. I'm on a fairly limited budget and most of the clutches that I found on Ebay don't come with the spring or weights.

I'm not against a Yamaha clutch just trying to get the most bang for my buck.

Last edited:
S

sledmaniak

Mar 17, 2009
primary clutch

That clutch is off a phazer. It will work but it has only three reinforcement rings on the back side of the inner sheave. The back side of the 8CR clutch that came with the mtn max had a ton of reinforcement web and is alot stronger. You may also run into pin dia problems trying to get the proper weights and rollers in the phazer clutch. IMO buy a stock clutch that came off a 700 mtn max. Even that phazer clutch will prob bring 230.00

Premium Features