• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'01 sxr 500 rattle under hood??

S
Feb 8, 2009
I have a rattle on the exhaust side of my '01 sxr 500 when I give it the gas - it's driving me crazy. Not loose disc on brake, not clutch cover pin and not exhaust springs although it sounds like a vibrating spring.

Has anyone else had this problem? Please help

Thanks

S
Feb 8, 2009
Yes it has screens - I'll check that and where the can meets the pipe as well as silicone all springs.

What is the best way to silicone springs? Disconnect and fill through open in end or rub into side while in place?

Thank for the help

M
Nov 26, 2007
Just run a bead of silicone on the outside of the spring.
No need to take them off, or fill the center part of the spring.

dont know how many miles on your sled, but around 3500 on one i had, crap started coming loose in the silencer. a little heat and a few bumps and the screen material inside would come out. take it off and shake it, see if the guts are rattling. i already mentioned the stator bolts elsewhere. had that happen also.

you dont. basically the inside of the silencer is rusting out. my daughters 600 twin has been loosing internal pieces for the last few years. i just shake out what comes out and run it. have seen no adverse effects and it doesnt seem to be getting any louder. personally, i wouldnt spend the money for a replacement.

Premium Features