• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 IQ Front Bumper Upgrade!

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
Just out of curiosity... are there not enough 07 and 08 IQ/Dragon/ RMK owners out there to warrant a bumper to fit those years as well?

No that's not it, they just went with the 09 first. I've already discussed a bumper for the 08 and earlier models. It may happen, just have to hold tight.

I will keep everyone posted on what happens.

Paul

P
Dec 10, 2007
Just out of curiosity... are there not enough 07 and 08 IQ/Dragon/ RMK owners out there to warrant a bumper to fit those years as well?

I agree. The 09 bumpers are a significant improvement over the 07-08. You would think they would have a better response offering to this market share than the newer sled.

jus my .02

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
The reason they did the 09 is because it is a direct bolt on. If you don't want to do a bunch of cutting on the 07 and 08 (possibly 05 06)models you need to buy the new belly pan, swaybar mounts, hood mounts and a few other misc. pieces from polaris.
Polaris made it very difficult to mount an aluminum bumper with any strength on the earlier models. This is why the the TCP bumper required a bunch of cutting.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Montana
Forget 07/08

By the time you figure out a way to make one for the 07/08 you will have as much if not more into a bumper as TCP did. Plus it doesn't look the best. (no insult to TCP look at what they had to work with) The 09 design makes it easy to modify and strengthen without any further modifications to the sled. The 09 parts are better and cheaper. I have $425.00 into my 09 front end on my 07 Dragon. It looks alot better, it seals better and if this bumper goes out I can do a Skinz bolt in for $6.00 more than what Polaris wants for a replacement.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
By the time you figure out a way to make one for the 07/08 you will have as much if not more into a bumper as TCP did. Plus it doesn't look the best. (no insult to TCP look at what they had to work with) The 09 design makes it easy to modify and strengthen without any further modifications to the sled. The 09 parts are better and cheaper. I have $425.00 into my 09 front end on my 07 Dragon. It looks alot better, it seals better and if this bumper goes out I can do a Skinz bolt in for $6.00 more than what Polaris wants for a replacement.

That was my point in posting that anyone can covert the front end over to the 09 for the same price or cheaper then other options.

C
Feb 28, 2008
Just got my 2009 Dennis Kirk catalog in the mail today. They're selling this new Skinz front bumper. (page 95) Interestingly enough, they have a big application chart indicating that the same part number fits pretty much all 05 to 09 IQ chassis sleds. There is absolutely zero mention of necessary modifications or anything for the models with old plastic. In fact the ad says "easy installation."

Of course based on posts like this I know better.

I wonder how many returns Dennis Kirk is going to get on these bumpers given the way they're presenting it as a universal 05 to 09 fit in their catalog...and Mr. Sled Solutions, I applaud your honesty that you don't know how it will work. While the D.K. catalogue just basically says "it'll fit them all just fine!"

Another observation...TCP has an aluminum front bumper for this sled that costs $380 or something like that, and requires a whole bunch of custom cutting and fitting of plastic to fit 07s and 08s. Now Skinz has an aluminum front bumper for this sled that only costs $140-ish, and requires a whole bunch of custom cutting and fitting of plastic to fit 07s and 08s.

So now that we have this Skinz alternative for $240 less jing, why the heck would anyone bother with the TCP? Am I missing something here? Anyone think maybe TCP will bring their bumper price down out of the stratosphere in the face of their new competition?

I agree with others here...I'm looking forward to seeing somebody else's first attempt at fitting this Skinz bumper to the 07/08 plastic. I am genuinely interested in how it will turn out in comparison to what others did with the TCP setup last year...

Last edited:
C
Feb 28, 2008
Question about this Skinz bumper to anyone who's seen it in person:

Does the aluminum Skinz bumper double as a receiver for the pins of the hood hinge? It's kinda hard for me to tell from the pictures.

The reason I ask, is if the 07/08 plastic bumper is removed, I see absolutely no place to install the hood hinge...

I'm having a hard time getting my head around how to fabricate half a hood hinge...but maybe that's part of the bumper.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
Just got my 2009 Dennis Kirk catalog in the mail today. They're selling this new Skinz front bumper. (page 95) Interestingly enough, they have a big application chart indicating that the same part number fits pretty much all 05 to 09 IQ chassis sleds. There is absolutely zero mention of necessary modifications or anything for the models with old plastic. In fact the ad says "easy installation."

Of course based on posts like this I know better.

I wonder how many returns Dennis Kirk is going to get on these bumpers given the way they're presenting it as a universal 05 to 09 fit in their catalog...and Mr. Sled Solutions, I applaud your honesty that you don't know how it will work. While the D.K. catalogue just basically says "it'll fit them all just fine!"

Another observation...TCP has an aluminum front bumper for this sled that costs $380 or something like that, and requires a whole bunch of custom cutting and fitting of plastic to fit 07s and 08s. Now Skinz has an aluminum front bumper for this sled that only costs $140-ish, and requires a whole bunch of custom cutting and fitting of plastic to fit 07s and 08s.

So now that we have this Skinz alternative for $240 less jing, why the heck would anyone bother with the TCP? Am I missing something here? Anyone think maybe TCP will bring their bumper price down out of the stratosphere in the face of their new competition?

I agree with others here...I'm looking forward to seeing somebody else's first attempt at fitting this Skinz bumper to the 07/08 plastic. I am genuinely interested in how it will turn out in comparison to what others did with the TCP setup last year...

We will NEVER lead anybody on....the big difference between big chains like DK and a company like ours is that I can call Skinz right now to have a question answered if I need to. They can't....or won't.

Question about this Skinz bumper to anyone who's seen it in person:

Does the aluminum Skinz bumper double as a receiver for the pins of the hood hinge? It's kinda hard for me to tell from the pictures.

The reason I ask, is if the 07/08 plastic bumper is removed, I see absolutely no place to install the hood hinge...

I'm having a hard time getting my head around how to fabricate half a hood hinge...but maybe that's part of the bumper.

Send me your email address and I'll send you the High Res pics that may answer your question.

Paul

Premium Features