• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Iowa group headed for Togwotee.

T

Toddstud2003

Nov 27, 2007
Denver,Colorado
I hope it isn't your first time out west. I'm sure you know how deep the snow is out here. I hope you have long track machine.
Have Fun.
I envy you guys. I never been but I have seen the pics and heard that it is great! Just be careful. Be prepared! I hear getting a guide is the best way to go.
later

T
Dec 29, 2007
Iowa
Hey man have a blast way out west...don't know much about it out there never made it that far...i personally can't make it past the snowies...in my opinion the best snow you can find anywhere on a consistant basis...if it were me and i know its not add a day to your trip if you can and ride the snowies it is worth the effort and you will fall in love with the snow and terrain...thats if you don't already know that about the snowies...gettin ready for another trip out next week...have a blast out at tog...post some pics when you get back...tell us all about it...:beer;:beer;:beer;

M

mtncat800

Nov 26, 2007
Central Iowa
Have fun. It's a neat place but has lots of hidden dangers. I would suggest a guid. I would be interested in you stay at the Sawmill. Was in there after a ride last year and the help was not so friendly.
I am heading out tomorrow and I am sure we will ride Union Pass at least on day. I will try to let you know what conditions are like.

This is probably my 10th or 12th trip to wy. - so I'm not new to the deep powder. Have been to the Big Horns alot-love those mtn's, been to the snowies 2 times and there ok, just not wide open enough for me-I climbed widowmaker and that was a rush- especially the ride back down! Been to Tog. 2 or 3 yrs ago and found the best snow and play areas there, hope to find the same areas untouched.Will probably get "Skinner" to take us out 1 day if we decide to get anywhere that we maybe should'nt be-is he still there? Hopefully our sleds all make it through the powder i'm hopeing to find.1-900 cat (not mine),5-800 summits,1-600 summit and a 600 renagade with 1 3/4 track for a back up..Oh yeh, and a rope to pull that cat back... AGAIN! Almost forgot , we stayed at saw mill last time and every thing was great -hope it's the same this time.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Chagrin Falls, OH
We returned from Tog this past Sunday. We were out there for about a week. Plenty of untracked areas as the lack of visibility was keeping many of these areas untouched.

Of any year, I would think this would be one of those in which you do not need a guide to find powder as it is everywhere.
J

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Avalanche class in Ames, Iowa

Four Hour Avalanche Classes
Specifically for snowmobilers

Avalanche class coming to Ames, Iowa February 11th, Monday evening

Classes are effective, proven to save lives and affordable.

Learn: How to avoid the most common mistakes, what equipment works best, how to rescue effectively, evaluate terrain, avoid terrain traps, analyze stability and increase your skills in the mountains.

Cost $45 Must sign up in advance

Take the class with those you ride with.

Date: February 11th, 2008 Monday night
Location: Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center 2609 University Blvd. Ames, Iowa 50010
Time: 6pm-10pm
To sign up: Email Mike Duffy: duffyww1@aol.com or call 970-390-9433

Four hour avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue class.

Instructor: Mike Duffy. Level I & II Avalanche instructor Colorado Mountain College, rescue/avalanche team leader Vail Mountain Rescue Group, instructor Walter Kirch Avalanche Seminars, graduate of National Avalanche School, National Academy of Winter Guiding. Mountain Snowmobiler for 20 years.
Course content:
-Introduction to Avalanches, statistics, contributing factors.
-Avalanche reports
-Signs of instability.
-Equipment
-What to carry and what works best.
-Avalanche beacons.
-Fast and effective single and multiple burial searches.
-Rescue
-Avalanche survival methods
-Hasty search
-mistakes in rescue
-Group Dynamics
-Terrain Evaluation/terrain traps
-Preparing for your trip
-Stability Analysis
-Scenarios

W
Feb 6, 2008
I live in riverton,wy so i ride union pass often the snow is awesome this year. There are plenty of meadows still left especially since its been snowing about everyday on top. are you planning on riding from the sawmill or are you planning on heading for the top on the CD trail. Ditch the guys advice about riding the snowies, there are too many people. Hope your equipped for deep powder and watch out for avalanches, we have had several so far this year, stay away from brooks lake the snow hasn't set up very well. hope this helps.

thanks wtosledhead, the first day probably trailer the sleds up to tog. just beause thier already on the trailer and ride wherever the snow takes us from there. The other 4 days we will ride from saw mill up cd twords tog. Has anyone been down cd trail by p trail? Last time we were out there we rode down there and it was awsome! Is it worth going that far this year? Might try that 1 day unless its not worth the trip. THANKS for any info.

M
Dec 10, 2007
Hampton, Iowa
Have Fun

Awsome area to ride! Have fun and be safe! I have a group of ten going out the 23rd so I would be interested to see how your trip was. We are staying at Lava Mtn. Lodge. Can't wait to get there!:beer;

B

benp

Dec 22, 2007
Awsome area to ride! Have fun and be safe! I have a group of ten going out the 23rd so I would be interested to see how your trip was. We are staying at Lava Mtn. Lodge. Can't wait to get there!:beer;

My neighbors got back from out there last week and also stayed at Lava Mountain lodge.

Snow was deep. They had a lot of fun.

I curious if your impression of Lava Mountain Lodge will be the same as theirs.

Have fun .

Dec 8, 2007
hey benp what was your neighbors impression of lava mt. lodge ?

i am going to be ariving the 20th and staying till 23rd their will be a group of 4 it would be awsome if some peeps could show us around we are going to be all riding 136" hope we dont get stuck tu much

M
Dec 10, 2007
Hampton, Iowa
Lava Mountain

My neighbors got back from out there last week and also stayed at Lava Mountain lodge.

Snow was deep. They had a lot of fun.

I curious if your impression of Lava Mountain Lodge will be the same as theirs.

Have fun .

I'll let you know when we get back. The last time we stayed there it was just taken over by the new owner. We rented the big house and they were in construction phase of the new restaurant and bar. Sounds like the PB trail behind the lodge is shut down so I'm curious how going up the hwy for a bit is going to work.

Premium Features