• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 ETEC cold start issues

G
Aug 28, 2016
TL;DR
Sled idles high after sitting out in negative temps and goes into limp mode where the throttle only produces a hum. A few hours later everything runs perfectly.

Having some problems with my 2013 Summit X ETEC with almost 1900 miles. The last 2 times I've been out it has been pretty cold (-10 to -20 f). The sled has sat outside all night and understandably is difficult to start. So difficult that if I grab the pull cord with both hands and all my strength there is so much resistance that I can barely extend the cord for the first many pulls. My buddy with a 2015 ETEC and a few less miles can still start his up first or second pull after sitting out in this kind of weather.

Once I finally get it started it idles very high (3500-4K). It actually engages the clutch and lurches forward when trying to sit still. It still does this when the engine is at operating temp. Because the idle is so high, I shut it down every time I come to a stop. On several occasions after I start it back up, the throttle will not do anything. I press the throttle in all the way and nothing happens but a loud hum. It doesn't rev up at all. No check engine light, no check key warning beep, nothing.

I was stuck with a totally unresponsive sled for at least 45 minutes yesterday. I visually verified the throttle cable was connected and opening the throttle body. I don't know what I did differently to get it working again, but eventually I got it moving. I left the sled for almost an hour and rode my buddies. Came back over and hour later, started the sled up, and it ran perfectly the rest of the day. This exact situation has happened twice now. I have no idea what is causing this. Thinking some sensor is just frozen or too cold making it run like crap until it thaws out.

Last edited:

kfaz123

Premium Member
Oct 3, 2012
B.C.
Check you tps. Closed throttle needs to be reset with a scan tool or your tps is bad and needs to be replaced. Sled thinks throttle is open that's why it won't allow you to rev up the sled. Also check your throttle cable is not pinched which might stop your throttle bodys from closing all the way.

Last edited:
Premium Features