• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 new release.....

R
Aug 1, 2010
MN
what do you ride right now?

Riding a 15 XM 154 X and I love this sled.

With all the hype about the 2016's, even though I like to hold out a year or two before buying any new design, I was expecting to see a major change and was wondering if I made a mistake with a new 15. The only thing that caught my eye is the new all black color with gray stickers. I am planning to hang on to the 15 for at least another 2 years.

F
Oct 13, 2013
We aren't getting anything until 2018, maybe 880 next year if they can get the emissions dialled in a little better. Doo is starting to lose touch with the mountain segment. I don't care what their sponsored riders have to say. They are more worried about snowboarders than innovation. Wow 3" track and they fixed the front end finally.

D

drunkbilly

Nov 17, 2010
doo is arrogant they think there the bomb cause they sold lots of xm's and they don't think they need to do anything else look how lazy they have been! the etech is selling the sleds not the sled. xm is fine for older guys that wanna tour around and have good reliability. start jumping it and there goes your reliability tmotion brackets rip apart tunnel mounts crack and break. e an s mods fold and the new fancy t3 spindles too. Doo can't add anymore gimmicks the t motion was to get the 16" track to feel like a 15" the 35"-37" stance was to make up for the extremely low centre of gravity and its overly planted feel. the t3 finally raised the centre of gravity so maybe there starting to see the xp dna sucks its a stretched trail sled. doo took some weight out of the front of the sled making it even weaker, what they should have done was take the weight out of the back of the sled. that way there less weight behind the front end and it will suffer less damage on an impact foo did this backwards and thats also why they have such and extreme ridder forward position in an attempt to make the chassi handle ok the skid is a boat anchor and its weak the rails bend the tmotion rips off. if you want to jump it get ready to spend 3k on suspension and spare rails. all the loyal doo guys that bleed yellow are like " its fine its not broken don't fix it" sorry but for 15k i don't want fine i want amazing. doo better hope polaris hasn't figured out how to build an engine yet because if they have they are going to dominate all over again. too be honest id buy the new cat before a new doo. the cat is heavy but its also tough and reliable not just heavy reliable and weak. wake up doo or your gonna get owned.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
funny all of the people that cant throw around a 400# xp must have pencil arms or never stand up.LOL

D

drunkbilly

Nov 17, 2010
hey moon shine is good! yes snowmobiler i can throw around an xp just fine i can even ride a yamaha but i don't because its easier and more fun to ride and xp. and all the guys like yourself that keep saying real men ride sleds that take more effort keep buying these new easy to ride sleds like the xm's and all of the sudden all the tough guy talk disappears. its not that I'm not tough enough to ride a snowmobile i don't think anyone has that much trouble ridding a snow mobile. people are not getting there new xm and saying " gee i liked the heavier feel of my old xp it made me feel more like a man with big arms" noone is gonna complain if the 2017 xm weighs 415 lbs.

I think if they dropped the weight than the current s and e moduals would be fine. its all about kinetic energy, if you reduce the mass then you reduce the force. reduce force and then the components that take the brunt of the impact have less energy to dissipate. hence my thoughts that doo pulled the weight out of the wrong parts. they have super light spindle, a arm, s and e mods taking the hit and then they have super heavy skid coming in behind with all the inertia crushing those lighter components.

lets do a quick comparison for a typical impact on an average hit comparing the doo to the poo

lets say boondocking at 15 mph you hit at a tree with your ski and for easy math will use weights of 460 lbs for the doo and 410 lbs for the poo and will assume at this point they have same fuel of say 40 lbs convert lbs to kg as all formulas are in kg's

500lbs = 227kg
450lbs = 205kg
15mph = 6.7 m/s
kinetic energy = 1/2 (mass kg) x(velocity m/s squared)

227 x (6.7x6.7)/.5 = 5095 joules
205 x (6.7x6.7)/.5 = 4601 joules

difference of 494 joules

the doo carries nearly 11% more kinetic energy into an impact than the poo meaning that the doo needs to be 12.3 % stronger in order to fair the same impact as the poo.

basically doo designed the bulkhead to light for the xp then they added weight and made the issue worse. the sled has design flaws theres no getting around that. gimmicks won't fix it.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The only real fact is that it will be released I. 2016 at this time! Just wondering what the sled right now is not doing for you? Innovation comes in waves not timelines, look at dirt bikes, a 2015 Honda is miles different over a 2014 but they look exactly the same, the better sleds get the smaller the changes but those smaller changes make huge differences. And u currently have several options with turbos, big bores, belt drives, and the possibility to shave a lot of weight. 90% don't need or want it and the other 10% are not willing to pay for it. So how will that work? Go back and ride a 2004,2008 or 2012 and tell me that we are not living in the most spoiled times. Great products and endless possibility,the crazy thing is it has created more complainers, not happier people, I just can't understand that, I am out most days and I just can't shake the smile off my face!

I doubt you won't disagree that more power in the T3 would increase the size of the smile on Your face. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
db...

That's great logic and math........but in the end of the day, both those hits are going to exceed any bumper/bulkhead's crumple zone....and if we had good bumpers to withstand the impacts.....doubtful anyone would buy them...as they'd be pretty long in the nose....LOL!

OTM

S
Nov 5, 2014
Denver, CO
I have a 2015 T3 163, only mods is a slp can and a skid plate. I was at Rabbit Ears Pass 3 weeks ago and hit a hidden tree stump (5 inches wide) going 35 mph through deep snow. stopped my sled in its tracks, went straight over the handle bars about 15 feet. i weigh about 250 lbs. when i turned back to look at my sled i thought it was totaled. stump hit right under front left side on skid plate, ended up being zero damage to the sled, nothing bent. I've been riding sleds for about 25 years and still can't believe there was zero damage. I can't speak for other sleds but that doo held up pretty damn good.

just my $.02

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
would you buy a new chassis from doo the first year out? look how long it took them to get the xp "dialed in"
and when it still didnt feel right they put bandaids on it (xm)
theyve always had the motor tho...

GolfPineAcres

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
doo is arrogant they think there the bomb cause they sold lots of xm's and they don't think they need to do anything else look how lazy they have been! the etech is selling the sleds not the sled. xm is fine for older guys that wanna tour around and have good reliability. start jumping it and there goes your reliability tmotion brackets rip apart tunnel mounts crack and break. e an s mods fold and the new fancy t3 spindles too. Doo can't add anymore gimmicks the t motion was to get the 16" track to feel like a 15" the 35"-37" stance was to make up for the extremely low centre of gravity and its overly planted feel. the t3 finally raised the centre of gravity so maybe there starting to see the xp dna sucks its a stretched trail sled. doo took some weight out of the front of the sled making it even weaker, what they should have done was take the weight out of the back of the sled. that way there less weight behind the front end and it will suffer less damage on an impact foo did this backwards and thats also why they have such and extreme ridder forward position in an attempt to make the chassi handle ok the skid is a boat anchor and its weak the rails bend the tmotion rips off. if you want to jump it get ready to spend 3k on suspension and spare rails. all the loyal doo guys that bleed yellow are like " its fine its not broken don't fix it" sorry but for 15k i don't want fine i want amazing. doo better hope polaris hasn't figured out how to build an engine yet because if they have they are going to dominate all over again. too be honest id buy the new cat before a new doo. the cat is heavy but its also tough and reliable not just heavy reliable and weak. wake up doo or your gonna get owned.

Haha, thats hilarious. Sales don't lie, but I guess all the guys buying them are old.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Its not that big of a deal or difference but the wet weight difference between the xm and the poo is only like 30 lbs.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
lets do a quick comparison for a typical impact on an average hit comparing the doo to the poo

lets say boondocking at 15 mph you hit at a tree with your ski and for easy math will use weights of 460 lbs for the doo and 410 lbs for the poo and will assume at this point they have same fuel of say 40 lbs convert lbs to kg as all formulas are in kg's

500lbs = 227kg
450lbs = 205kg
15mph = 6.7 m/s
kinetic energy = 1/2 (mass kg) x(velocity m/s squared)

227 x (6.7x6.7)/.5 = 5095 joules
205 x (6.7x6.7)/.5 = 4601 joules

difference of 494 joules

the doo carries nearly 11% more kinetic energy into an impact than the poo meaning that the doo needs to be 12.3 % stronger in order to fair the same impact as the poo.

I cannot dispute any of your numbers, hell I admit I don't fully understand all of it.
But I do understand that these numbers are misleading because it assumes zero rider weight.
I am always disappointed in the power to weight comparisons for the same reason because in the real world you will add approximately 50% of the sleds dry weight in fuel, rider & gear. This added weight changes the % numbers tremendously, but are never included in anyone's example because it diminishes their findings (agenda).

Last edited:
Premium Features