• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dealers checking for ethanol fuel on engine failures.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
First you would have to actually be able to get decent pump fuel. Unless your real lucky or going your premium from a Marina where its required to not have ethanol good luck on pump gas. You could think you have premium and get some 15 percent ethanol blend crap and not even know it under the premium label.

Anyone that knows how to test ethanol levels, start testing the gas in your area. Last year I had some gas that I got from a Casey's general store that my lawn mower wouldnt even run on... 19% ethanol... So far from what I have tested shell is about the best typically pretty close to whats advertised.

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
we also got a free test kit from polaris. They want us to check the fuel in all the failures. to me if your stupid enough to run fuel with ethanol in it or old fuel then you deserve to pay for it. Expecially the people that think they can run purple gas.

K

kbl6z

Mar 8, 2009
auburn,wa
Dave have you had a chance to use the tester on ethanol fuel yet?

Last edited:

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Yeah I have tested the fuel from our local fuel stations around town. I am seeing 10% to 15% ethanol content. The fuel that is being sold as non ethanol has no ethanol in it as of now.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
we also got a free test kit from polaris. They want us to check the fuel in all the failures. to me if your stupid enough to run fuel with ethanol in it or old fuel then you deserve to pay for it. Expecially the people that think they can run purple gas.

Not all premium fuel is ethanol free...

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Am I the only one that finds this thread disgusting?

I mean instead of addressing their design and engineering issues Polaris throws it into their customers laps? They want us to either sue the gas station for falsely advertising a specified amount of ethanol or test our fuel every time we fill up? These are pump gas motors that should be able to run on the same fuel that Doo's and Cat's are running on. You better believe there's issues with these motors if Polaris is starting this. No warranty claims (ethanol) have been denied yet but I have to believe this is the way things are headed.

Another fine example of corporate greed.

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID

It's a fact that in many parts of the country all pump gas that's available is a 10% ethanol mix. :face-icon-small-con

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
maybe the 12s will have a big colorfull sticker saying no ethenol,in spanish too.im thinking thats the only way they could enforce it.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
Maybe if enough of you dump your polaris and make a statement, polaris will see some light.. its been excuses after excuses after excuses for about 10 years now... now it official excuses, wtf polaris !!!!!!

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Sorry PolarisRocks but people are loyal to polaris no matter what they do or happens to there sleds.The past is the future wrapped in a different blanket. We basically have very little control over the fuel were getting. I'm sure people will be driving around town with there testers trying to find the fuel that meets the requirements of polaris. Kind of like musical chairs.Polaris has been pushing some of there responsiblitys onto the consumer for a long time as you have stated but they are still making good money from them so why change it.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Or I suppose what someone could do is find a station with good fuel. Buy a 5 gallon can of it and put it in the garage. When you blow up your Polaris, siphon the tank into your grocery getter, dump the 5'er in and take it to the dealer.

I'm just saying, there are more than a couple of ways to play this game.

Or buy a Doo or Cat and not worry about it.

sled_guy

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Or I suppose what someone could do is find a station with good fuel. Buy a 5 gallon can of it and put it in the garage. When you blow up your Polaris, siphon the tank into your grocery getter, dump the 5'er in and take it to the dealer.

I'm just saying, there are more than a couple of ways to play this game.

Or buy a Doo or Cat and not worry about it.

sled_guy

I bet if it was an oil issue that the oil bottle would have exactly 1 quart of oil in it to.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
maybe they should stop warrantying bent tunnels from fattys hitting whoop dee doos and start covering their engines

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
wow, and I almost thought I wanted a pro. What a freaking joke, if the sled says it will run on 87 then at elevation its over kill in reality. All the failures I heard of around here really couldn't be attributed to octane anyway. I'll stick with cat until poo makes a real motor, or I stuff a cat in a pro.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
The pro I rode last year had the deto light come on mutiple times with the ethanol resistor in it on a cold day. I put 87 octane 10% ethanol in it when it did this. This was on long wide open runs and the engine was overreving slightly. At 8000+ ft that most everyone rides at out west I would think that 91 would be overkill with the 91 octane resistor. Either way, this is why I went 4 stroke and am not coming back. Also why would a guy put 87 in if they knew they had the 91 resistor in it. I also didn't find much gain to to 91 resistor. I would bet it was within 3 hp of the 87 resistor.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

You can no longer buy non ethanol fuel in CO.

I'm usually not that biased, but perhaps you should have rephrased it...

"if you're stupid enough to buy a motor that can't keep from blowing then you deserve to pay for it."

Now, I don't believe that, but that's similar to what you're saying.

Fact is, other companies aren't having the same issues, and for a reason. Why is it so hard to simply add a knock sensor like doo & cat? (if I'm missing something here, feel free to let me know) I run against my knock sensor here & there, and it keeps me from having issues, I just turn down the boost a 1/4 turn... to have to worry so much about fuel on a stock sled is asinine.

Btw... if it says "87" on the tank... and you're running more than that... who's the stupid one?:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features