• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SPOT Connect - New In Jan

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Just noticed this new solution coming from SPOT. Looks like they are taking their GPS service to the next level....pretty cool. Provides all the same functionality as today with SPOT 2, but using your smarphone you can send text messages, email messages, update FB etc.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

connect_prod.png

Today’s smartphones provide a level of social connection far beyond what we imagined just a few years ago. But when you go beyond the reach of the grid, your smartphone needs the help of SPOT Connect to keep you in touch with friends, family, and emergency personnel. Simply pair your smartphone with SPOT Connect, and get connected to a global satellite network that lets you send messages and GPS coordinates from virtually anywhere on the planet. Update Twitter and Facebook. Send email and text messages. Request non-emergency help from professional service providers. And in the case of a critical emergency, send an SOS message requesting emergency assistance.

connect_tech.png

Last edited by a moderator:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
That's exactely what I've been waiting for. The ability to communicate through the Spot. Really cool. Looks smaller too. The service is still in the $99 range.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Now they are starting to talk my language.
I have the original SPOT. Now it's getting closer to upgrade time.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I called them today. It would be sweet if you could recieve and send emails and texts. so far you can only send texts and emails out. I've got the delorme unit.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
I saw the spot connect this past weekend at the Outdoor Retailer show. The release date is scheduled for mid-february. Just a note about it, you have to have either an iPhone or an Android smartphone for the spot connect to work. Later this summer (july?) you will be able to use the spot connect with a blackberry.

This is exactly what I have been waiting for! Really cool stuff!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Brian and I have both been waiting on this one and plan on upgrading to it now that Verizon is Finally supporting the Apple iPhone.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
yeah cool stuff...only small issue is that you are limited to like 40 characters in the messages you can send...which is not major, as you can send multiple messages...

I did not see if you can send the messages to a specific email address or txt, versus our predefined lists...if you can that is killer...

will definitely be getting one...

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I WILL wait until we start getting user reviews on this one...but it looks like the right one to upgrade to.

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
I just saw this on their website too. I have the original spot and if the service cost is similar, I'm upgrading! Being able to send a message that says "out of gas" or "motor blew up" is alot more useful than only being able to send a predetermined message. They were really thinking when they made the SOS button functional on the connect without needing the cellphone. My only concern is that the sos on the cellphone is possibly too easy to activate?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If you dont have a smart phone.... new phone $200.... Data plan $$??... Learing how to use it all $$$-1/2 day of work.... plus the cost of the unit $$??....

Will I get one... probably... but it will be an investment.

Premium Features