• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Get your FIX for the RMK 800

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T

timbo

Dec 8, 2007
edmonton
500 miles on the Fix with a new 2010 cyl on a 2009 block.Pulled head to switch to the high comp Polaris head.Any thoughts?

047.jpg 048.jpg

darens

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Morgan, Utah (pronounced HoooHaw)
Four corner score

Mine did this. I attribute this to failing to do 2 things.

1. I did not gap my rings properly.
2. I did not give the topend enough heat cycles. (I talked with wisco and they said before you ever hit the throttle you need to let the sled warm all the way up and then cool all the way down. At least three cycles.)

The wisco's tend to expand and contract much more than stock pistions.

hope this helps.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Got the Fix Kit in the mail

The Fix kit arrived last week and all of the parts in the box look good. Plan to tear the engine down in a week or two to start the rebuild on the top end. Will updatethis thread on the install as it moves along and if there are any issues.

akrevrider

Last edited:

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
Just wondering what head would be better on the fix kit 09 high compression or power addiction 13.6.1 head. I will have the ecu flashed back to the original 09 mapping still going to run the PCV. any advise.

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
My squish tightened to .065 with the 2010 head. I have heard they were in the .075-.080 range stock, but didn't check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
The Fix Kit w/2010 cylinders?

The top end is off mine and was thinking about installing 2010 cylinders; but will have to split the case and bore it to fit the 2010 cylinders...Don't know if it is worth the effort or the $.

Either way the Fix Kit is going in after I make a decision on which cylinders to re-install...

akrevrider

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
The top end is off mine and was thinking about installing 2010 cylinders; but will have to split the case and bore it to fit the 2010 cylinders...Don't know if it is worth the effort or the $.

Either way the Fix Kit is going in after I make a decision on which cylinders to re-install...

akrevrider

Akrevider, I have been very happy with the kit from pms polaris and with the a little higher compression head and the power commander has been the answer for me.

IMO if you were going to split the case and then have it bored you might as well buy a big bore kit from Carl's or SLP where the piston tolerance would be with in spec and you will obviously get more bang for the buck.

You should look close and reconsider the right repair kit from MTNTK sold at PMS Polaris it has made all the difference for my sled to run good, strong and more reliable. I have also heard there are some other kits now available from others but this kit is tried and proven. I brought my sled to PMS and had the kit installed and they are a class act.

Good luck with your decision and whats the hurry it is still the middle of summer.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Updating an IQ with The Fix Kit

R44guy,

I plan to follow a similar install to your's with a kit from MtnTkDyno.

Akrevider, I have been very happy with the kit from pms Polaris and with the a little higher compression head and the power commander has been the answer for me.
Will look to see if I can find one of the 2008/2009 pre-update heads with more compression than the Polaris updated head.

IMO if you were going to split the case and then have it bored you might as well buy a big bore kit from Carl's or SLP where the piston tolerance would be with in spec and you will obviously get more bang for the buck.

You should look close and reconsider the right repair kit from MTNTK sold at PMS Polaris it has made all the difference for my sled to run good, strong and more reliable. I have also heard there are some other kits now available from others but this kit is tried and proven. I brought my sled to PMS and had the kit installed and they are a class act.

The kit that I have is from MtnTk Dyno sold at PMS Polaris. Really looking forward to a season of riding without worrying about the skirt breaking off one of my stock pistons.

Good luck with your decision and what’s the hurry it is still the middle of summer.

Appreciate it,

akrevrider

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Akrevider, I have been very happy with the kit from pms polaris and with the a little higher compression head and the power commander has been the answer for me.

Good luck with your decision and whats the hurry it is still the middle of summer.

R44,

What map in the ECM did you run with your set-up? What map in the PC5?

I can't remember...was your sled a 2010 or 2009?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

akrevrider

Honestly, I would lean to running the 09 Monoblock and here's why. We didn't see the amount of piston skirt and/or cylinder skirt issues with the original single ring pistons in 08 and 09.

2 things seemed to have happened with the update: Excess clearance issues and the fact that a 2 ring piston will transfer more heat to the cylinder than will a single ring piston.

Another piston option would be to run the Carls single ring turbo piston and some Carls porting with head mod. Then you could leave your bottom end together.

T

toehead

Aug 18, 2009
Bozeman, MT
power commander and the "fix"

Any body running a PCIII with this fix? What polaris map are you running and what map you running in the power commander? I am considering getting this kit as i have a 2008 800 dragon with slp single/can, power addiction 14:1 head running 20% 110 fuel, custom clutching and PCiiiusb w/ slp map. The guys at PMS Polaris said they do not recommend running a controll box as the original polaris 08 map is great, and they don't support any tunning for the power commander. But what about the lean mid range that caused so many problems? Thanks for any help.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
can't help you on the maps but one answer would be to run a wide band and see what that tells you. that's probably what i would do...

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
PCV

Any body running a PCIII with this fix? What polaris map are you running and what map you running in the power commander? I am considering getting this kit as i have a 2008 800 dragon with slp single/can, power addiction 14:1 head running 20% 110 fuel, custom clutching and PCiiiusb w/ slp map. The guys at PMS Polaris said they do not recommend running a controll box as the original polaris 08 map is great, and they don't support any tunning for the power commander. But what about the lean mid range that caused so many problems? Thanks for any help.

ToeHead,

I have a map from Jim at DynoTech that was tweaked on the dyno at Bikeman Performance. Jim's PCV map was very good just a little too rich in a few spots and on the top of the rpm band. The orignal 08 Polaris map is pretty good just too rich and not every sled motor is created equal based on how loose the piston is in the jug.

I can tell you after PMS installed the fixx it kit with the 08 factory map the sled was way faster then ever before with the pipe and pcv. My sled has never ran so well and the dyno numbers showed a considerable increase with the 08 polaris map, orignal 08 head, and bikeman pipe.

I am sure PMS is afraid of the self tuners who do not have access to a dyno and will want more and will lean it out too much and then burn down the motor and blame it on their kit.

Earlier in this thread I posted my dyno numbers as well as on another thread that can be found on this 4m. I am not sure if the pcIII and PCV maps are interchangable or not? I suspect Jim at DynoTech or SLP can give you that answer. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Chris

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
ToeHead,

I have a map from Jim at DynoTech that was tweaked on the dyno at Bikeman Performance. Jim's PCV map was very good just a little too rich in a few spots and on the top of the rpm band. The orignal 08 Polaris map is pretty good just too rich and not every sled motor is created equal based on how loose the piston is in the jug.

I can tell you after PMS installed the fixx it kit with the 08 factory map the sled was way faster then ever before with the pipe and pcv. My sled has never ran so well and the dyno numbers showed a considerable increase with the 08 polaris map, orignal 08 head, and bikeman pipe.

I am sure PMS is afraid of the self tuners who do not have access to a dyno and will want more and will lean it out too much and then burn down the motor and blame it on their kit.

Earlier in this thread I posted my dyno numbers as well as on another thread that can be found on this 4m. I am not sure if the pcIII and PCV maps are interchangable or not? I suspect Jim at DynoTech or SLP can give you that answer. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Chris

Ordered a PMS kit a week or so ago. Waiting for it to clear customs. My '09 RMK is my second of the bad motor machines. The '08 was crap, but the '09 has held together. I contribute that to heat sinking the motor 3/4 times, not using the old VES oil, and ALWAYS warming the engine to 100* before I move it. It has 1250 miles over the last two years and I would bet dollars to donuts that the pistons will look great when I pull them. However, I still feel that it is a ticking time bomb and that is why I went with the PMS Kit. Need to keep this thing for at least 2-3 more years. Will keeps everybody posted as changes take place.

Gerry

t stone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Bend, Or.
Hey Guys, I have an 08 800 Dragon. Went thru 2 engines on Polarises dime. They finally put an 2010 complete engine in it at the end of the 2010 season after the crank broke. Well at the end of last season I stuck a piston. Im going to order the Fix hopefully to cure my problems. My question is where should I send the cylinders to get redone to match up with the new kit? Or would I be able to hone the cylinders even though the piston seized in the cylinder. And what does that usually cost to have done? Thanks for any input. Also how are he engines holding up in the Pro? I dont want to dump 12k into another pile of sh!t.

Stone

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Hey Guys, I have an 08 800 Dragon. Went thru 2 engines on Polarises dime. They finally put an 2010 complete engine in it at the end of the 2010 season after the crank broke. Well at the end of last season I stuck a piston. Im going to order the Fix hopefully to cure my problems. My question is where should I send the cylinders to get redone to match up with the new kit? Or would I be able to hone the cylinders even though the piston seized in the cylinder. And what does that usually cost to have done? Thanks for any input. Also how are he engines holding up in the Pro? I dont want to dump 12k into another pile of sh!t.

Stone
Do you know why you "stuck" a piston? Just checking.

t stone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Bend, Or.
Do you know why you "stuck" a piston? Just checking.

I am pretty sure I didnt get it up to temp. I stopped to help a guy get unstuck and had a beer or two. About 20 minutes. Then like a dumb *** I fired it up and hit it hard in a surf turn and baaaaaaaa. Stuck it. It had been running strong all day. Im running a PCV auto tuned.

Stone

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Inspecting cylinder damage

Have you pulled it apart to see what the top end looks like? Can you still turn the ckanshaft by turning the primary clutch?

If it is still stuck try shooting a couple ounces of Marvel Mystery into the cylinders so you can lift the cylinders off after it breaks free.

Give Shawn a call at Mountain tek (MTNTK) at 208-652-7738 to see what he recommends based on the damage to the cylinder wall.

Please post back up here on this thread so we can offer any further help.

akrevrider

Premium Features