• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New flash

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
Bolt a set of egt's on, add a fuel controller and forget about poo fixing these thing's. They keep trying but I want to ride my sled instead of hoping that the next flash will be the fix. Since adding the fuel controller I've ridden twice the miles so far than I ever did on the same set of pistons before! :tsk: Now all I have to worry about is the v.r. going out or my steering post breaking off :tongue1:

C
Oct 21, 2008
I haven't had the latest flash but mine was doing the same thing. I had a MBRP can on it then tried the stock one and that didn't help so I bought the slp and that solved it. I ride at 1600' and have only 100 miles since the new can but it is alot better then before. Slight bog at mid but thats it

P
Nov 27, 2007
new flash

i have an 08 800 163 with an slp pipe. - put the new flash that was supposed to get rid of the 6000ish lean bog or whatever you want to call it. I gave it two rides got rid of the cold bog but just moved the lean spot to a lower rpm?
I found when you let of the throttle from a higher rpm and then got back on it it would frapp for lack of a better word kinda like a fouled plug feeling.. but only below maybe 3000 ft. once you got up past that it ran fairly well. EXCEPT....
right off the bat I was down A couple hundred rpm's on the top. and when I did any tree ridding where I was on and off the throttle, and slowed down< I was almost passing out from the raw gas coming out the pipe. i had to change plugs at one point when I let it idle for too long.
WHEN it would idle!! ran it hard down low on the way back to the truck and pulled a plug at the truck it was black and wet??

got them to put it back to the flash before WAY better just have to warm it up to 100 before you take off and it's good, watch your rpm's till you get up a bit and all is fine.

I found no improvement or benefit from this flash.. again I do have the slp pipe on my sled so this may be A different result than one without??

Cardiac Kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2001
Dave 441
Thefullmonty indicated in one of his post to me that the exhaust valve opens in the 7200 to 7400 rpm range. I know you said they changed them out but what about the solenoid? If it isn't closing then the valves will not open and it would run very flat. Plugging the vent lines or changing out the solenoid would check this.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Guys the SLP pipe combo is no longer a match made in heaven on the newer flashes at low elevation, w/update, unless you use the pcv, just like our trucks if you want it to be it's best the pcv is the price you need to pay

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
Just put the PC5 on yesterday along with SLP can. Jim's set up works great. Jim told me that the latest flash is still not right and to just go with the PC5. I took his advice and my sled has never ran better. ( my sled has always ran great at altitude but has always had the stumble here in MN)

D
Feb 26, 2009
Dave 441
Thefullmonty indicated in one of his post to me that the exhaust valve opens in the 7200 to 7400 rpm range. I know you said they changed them out but what about the solenoid? If it isn't closing then the valves will not open and it would run very flat. Plugging the vent lines or changing out the solenoid would check this.

I have to ask the dealer, but if memory serves me correct, they pulled a silenoid off another sled and did not make a differance, bu thanks, will check it out. I am thinking i will change the MBRP can to SLP can and have them reteset the electrical and if no change, will buy the PCV. Have avoided it due to the thoughts of trying to learn how to use it.

Y
Jan 30, 2009
. I am thinking i will change the MBRP can to SLP can and have them reteset the electrical and if no change, will buy the PCV. Have avoided it due to the thoughts of trying to learn how to use it.

If you order one with a pre-loaded map, all you have to do is sign up at your local community or technical college for a box opening class. Then find a 12 yr old in your neighborhood to plug it in. Boom, your all set, you can tell people you know how to use it.:noidea:

Sorry this was not meant as a slam to you Dave. I guess it is just my own frustration that there are such knowlegeable people in NY and ID, for example, that take their time and know-how to help us make a new sled run. We should be seeing the aftermarket guys for performance gains, not runability. That said, I have been hoping the new flash would help everyone,myself included. But I found it much easier to buy a 5 with a map than it was to have a dealer tell me how minor my $10,000 concerns were. (det, hesitation, yada yada) you know the drill.

Last edited:
D
Feb 26, 2009
Sorry this was not meant as a slam to you Dave. I guess it is just my own frustration that there are such knowlegeable people in NY and ID, for example, that take their time and know-how to help us make a new sled run. We should be seeing the aftermarket guys for performance gains, not runability. That said, I have been hoping the new flash would help everyone,myself included. But I found it much easier to buy a 5 with a map than it was to have a dealer tell me how minor my $10,000 concerns were. (det, hesitation, yada yada) you know the drill.[/QUOTE]

If it is that easy, i will just do it, on the prairies our season is about 4 weeks long, i just want to ride. Will report what we find

800drgnplt

Jan 12, 2010
Rochester, MN
Sorry this was not meant as a slam to you Dave. I guess it is just my own frustration that there are such knowlegeable people in NY and ID, for example, that take their time and know-how to help us make a new sled run. We should be seeing the aftermarket guys for performance gains, not runability. That said, I have been hoping the new flash would help everyone,myself included. But I found it much easier to buy a 5 with a map than it was to have a dealer tell me how minor my $10,000 concerns were. (det, hesitation, yada yada) you know the drill.

If it is that easy, i will just do it, on the prairies our season is about 4 weeks long, i just want to ride. Will report what we find[/QUOTE]

Dave, if you are concerned about the operations of the PCV, I urge you to call Dynotech and speak with Jim. I spoke with him for about 45 minutes yesterday and will hopefully have my PCV by this weekend. You will soon learn early on in the conversation that Jim enjoys speaking with his customers and will take as long as necessary to make you feel comfortable using his products. He will also make sure and stress for you to call him back with feedback after running the unit. He is awesome and definately the epitome of customer service!

D
Feb 26, 2009
Thanks, i am to that point, I will call him. Extra horsepower anyway i guess. Thought i had a MBRP can (came with the sled) but dealer says it is a SLP so that is out. Dealer also tried both 87 and 91 octane fuel and no change. Everything else is checking out.

C
Oct 21, 2008
chjoga11,
Did you have the bog at 7400 (and dropping to 7000) becuase i also have a MBRP can and never thought about that?

Dave

Mine was at 7700 then dropping down to 6500 then it would climb back up again after about 2 seconds. Not sure if I should get the new flash or leave it alone

L
Jan 20, 2008
I am currently riding a 2010 D8 with 300 miles and have not had the new flash, the sled has been great other than the typical "bog" in the midrange, it has only done this 4 or 5 times but always occurs when I am at a low elevation approx. 2500', at elevation 5000'-7000' the sled has run flawless. After reading this thread I am not 100% sold on the new re-flash it seems to be getting pretty mixed reviews. The PCV seems like the way to go, I'm just really having a hard time with dropping $400-500(I live in Canada) on something I have zero experience with. What I am wondering is how easy is the unit to operate, do I just plug it in and ride or is there a lot more to it? What I am getting at is could someone please give me the Coles notes version of what all is involved with the install and operation of a PCV.

P
Nov 27, 2007
flash

well my 08 800 ran great on the first 2010 flash that came with the update. except at around 6000ft it was a ***** to start and would not idle?? this is a fuel injected machine are they not supposed to compensate for elevation changes. I mean if it idles at 1700 at my house it should be close to that in the mountains but instead I lose 700 rpms???
it seems to me that if a fuel controller can fix my problems then the experts at polaris should be able too as well but instead. they fix one and create another with every update??

just like the nerw flash to fix a lean bog on the bottom they added fuel everywhere wtf?

POLARIS you need to get your **** together!! my opinion lately is that the wrong people are working on this problem. and they need to make a change
or start losing allot of loyal riders..

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
fuel injection results

There are 2 different standards of performance here. The PowerCommanders can adjust the fuel mapping for optimum performance.:face-icon-small-coo Polaris must adjust the mapping AND stay within EPA exhaust emission specs. Herein is the controversy:face-icon-small-fro

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
There are 2 different standards of performance here. The PowerCommanders can adjust the fuel mapping for optimum performance.:face-icon-small-coo Polaris must adjust the mapping AND stay within EPA exhaust emission specs. Herein is the controversy:face-icon-small-fro

That is correct. I don't agree with everyone having to go out and get a PC V to ensure their sled runs right, but after 3 years of messing around I don't see the consumer has much choice. I think even the good running sleds should add one to help ensure longevity from the motor. No matter what stock flash you have I think it is dangerous how they are trying to meet EPA regulations.
The hole EPA thing is unfortunate, but a fact of the future. Their standards are going to get tougher. Just like our fuel is going to continue to decline in quality as more ethanol will be added. There isn't going to be a way around this so it is going to have to be dealt with.
Companies like Polaris are going to be tested and forced to work harder to make their sleds run properly and be reliable. They are going to have to think outside the box and come up with genuine technology or they will have to buy it from other companies.

Premium Features