• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HID headlights on 2009 RMK 800 Dragon

2strokes_are_awesome

Dec 8, 2007
Flat and Boring
I read this thread and saw the photos and ordered two kits. I instaled one and was dissapointed by the results, first low beams don't work, but no big deal as I pulled the kit anyhow.

First, the photos posted are all "corona" meaning the light was too bright too even get a good picture of the bulb/beam.

This is because "we" are trying to put HID bulbs in Halogen reflectors.

Main difference, halogen bulbs have a frosted or shaded tip, to prevent the blinding corona that is a bright bulb, such as halogen or HID.

Purpose built HID reflectors have a bulb sheild that blocks the blinidng corona that HID produce.

So take a HID bulb, put it in a Halogen reflector and you get great light relfected, but also projected at you.

Have you ever traveled down a highway and had an oncoming vehicle have PAINFULLY bright lights, then you flash a reminder and then they actually hit the brights and your eyes burn? Most likely the operator has put an HID kit in a Halgen relflector.

This is what we are reproducing by installing this kit into our IQ Halogen Reflectors, unless you add a bulb tip shield.

I am going to use my kit in a project car that already has ahlogen bulbs in an HID reflector.

Please if you use these kits on your sled, car or whatever, consider the other guy and add tip shields.

nuff said, ride on.

What I am saying is, bright light is good for you, the rider, but think of the next guy, who might even be a forum rider, do you want to go around knowing yourhyper bright bulbs are burning th retinas of oncoming traffic?

This may all be true and I understand where you're coming from but I'd rather be the guy burning retinas and winning high-beam wars than be the guy who can't see because his lights suck.

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
The one beam is a halogen so if you meet someone all you have to do is hit the lights button so switch from HIDs to halogen lights. I just rode tonight here in Iowa and having the HIDS was a world of difference better. Plus if you are leading most of the time its nice to be able to see better to watch out for posts and culverts in the ditches.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I have tried to put HIDs on my 08 IQR and it didn't work due the stator not putting out enough constant voltage to keep the ballast happy. When I first saw this thread I was wondering If I was crazy when I tried everything possible to get these lights to work on my sled back in 07. I have HIDs in all my rigs and have had since they got cheap enough to afford. So when people were saying they were having issues with them not working on carbed sleds it made more sense to me, looks like the CFI Motor guys have a larger stator that can handle a constant 10-12volts for the ballast to operate correctly. All mine did was flicker like a strobe light at idle and then shutdown at higher RPMs. So just to clarify to people these will only work for CFI engines due to the larger stator and will NOT work on Carbed sleds unless you have a battery.

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
he has a capacitor in the system lots of sleds do.. but hey I dont know squat.. lots of misleading info in this thread..

whats misleading? harrysmith500 and i have had no problems with our hid kits in our CFI sleds when he made this thred it was for his CFI sled?

and whats misleading about saying ive had 1000s of trouble free miles? ive had 6 cfi sleds sence 07 all with hids in some of the roughest terrain you can put a sled thru and no problems here :D

snowswat

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2008
Brighton, CO
Exactly where is the "Dash air plenum" I should install the ballasts? Is that the panel that screws to the bottom of the hood, or is it further in behind the head lights?

Do you think they need to be riveted in, or would some heavy-duty double-sided tape work? I received notice that mine have shipped and on their way from China!

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
riveting is great, but you can just use some good double side tape, then silicone the crap outta them. If they fall off or any little parts and pieces fall off they'll get sucked into your intake.

Open your hood, look up into the intake hole on the hood, inside that hole is your air plenum. I riveted one ballast to the left side of that hole vertically, and one ballast to the right side of the hold horizontally.

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd
somebody tell me how to wire a 600 carbed rmk to run these. sounds like they will just go right in on the dragons but i ordered a set for every sled and didnt know the non cfi sleds werent the same

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
I have stabbed at this install twice now, on 09 800CFI.

First time, only one set of lights came on, and they were brighter than the sun,so I put them away. I then found some spare reflector "tips" to block the corona of the HID and had some spare time, and others have told me they have made them work, so I tried again.

This time I got both beams to come on, while they were hanging outside the plenum, so after finalizing the install, and making everything tidy, I tried them again, and only one set of bulbs, or one light from each side would come on.

So I pulled the kit and shelved it.

To testIi fired up the sled, and let it idle, switched the lights form High to Low, and then killed the sled. I did this before and after final install, only letting it idle for a moment.

So my question is,

Does the sled have to have a high power "charge" built up in the capacitor? Meaning, do you have to get some RPMS in the engine before the ballasts will "kick" off?

I am assuming the ballasts kicked off with a stored charge, and then there wasn't enough left the subsequent time.

BTW There is a servo controlled version of this kit, which makes the bulb move in and out of the housing, thus changing the light beam shape and reach. There was a dealer out here putting then into 2010 Polaris'. If I could just get this set to work......

Last edited:

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
BTW There is a servo controlled version of this kit, which makes the bulb move in and out of the housing, thus changing the light beam shape and reach. There was a dealer out here putting then into 2010 Polaris'. If I could just get this set to work......

that is the bi-xenon kit and is not tough enough to with stand the conditions the sleds put these kits through.

The bi-xenons are great for your car. we have them in my buddies tacoma's, They are great.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Ok well I will add my experience with these bulbs. I have about 500 miles on them now, in my 08 D8. And love them, other than the fact that I have a faulty ballast. (I think) One bulb will always come on when I start the sled, but the one side will only come on about half the time. It comes on quite dim sort of flickering, then with some time will recover and shine full strength. If it doesn't come on I have to shut off the sled, and restart, some times a few times before it will even try to come on. Ever seen this catkiller? Is it just my ballast?

M

MajorDirty

Dec 5, 2007
Kelso, WA
Ok well I will add my experience with these bulbs. I have about 500 miles on them now, in my 08 D8. And love them, other than the fact that I have a faulty ballast. (I think) One bulb will always come on when I start the sled, but the one side will only come on about half the time. It comes on quite dim sort of flickering, then with some time will recover and shine full strength. If it doesn't come on I have to shut off the sled, and restart, some times a few times before it will even try to come on. Ever seen this catkiller? Is it just my ballast?

I have about 300 miles on mine, 08 D8 and they do the exact same thing. Also have a buddy with 09, same problem. The day my VR fried one light was normal brightness, the other was on, but very dim.

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd
i installed mine on the cfi's and had one that only one bulb lit and seen that one of the wires had pulled from the connector before i even installed it. so might want to check that all the wires are pushed all the way inside the connector. i decieded not to mess with the carb sled and just have an extra set of bulbs and ballasts for spares

Premium Features