• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just weighed a New "2010" Cat seat "WOW"

F

FASTRAC

Nov 27, 2007
Helena,Mont.
I just got done weighing three seats from Arctic Cat.

Seat #1 Stock 2009 M series seat 13.6 pounds

Seat #2 2010 M series seat 10.5 pounds

Seat #3 2009 Preseason Cat/Boss seat 5.5 pounds

Can't believe the differencein weight of the new 2010 seat! Fastrac

N
Nov 2, 2004
Michigan Flats
I was hoping someone would do this.
You wouldnt happen to have a crossfire seat to throw in the mix?
I have to believe the Crossfire seat is probably a pound or two even heavier than the standard M seat.

B
Dec 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
how come people are putting the new cat seats on when the weight savings for the money are not really that substantial and they still soak up water? for the money I think the new boss would be the better deal.

JFro50

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2009
Hamburg, MN
I put the new M seat on an 09 X-Fire SP and it feels way better IMO than the snowchek boss seat on my bros sled. I bought the X-Fire as a holdover thats why I didnt get boss seat but I think it worked out better

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
how come people are putting the new cat seats on when the weight savings for the money are not really that substantial and they still soak up water? for the money I think the new boss would be the better deal.
its a lot to do with the comfort, possition, and how much its sucks to get a boss.. the '10 cat ones are like $200 cheaper then boss, and you can actually get them, so for most of the people i know, the weight is a plus, but they want it for the stance, i ahve sat on the new ones and man, they are a LOT more comfortable to stand and sit on then the old ones, which are WAY to low IMO. also, the storage on the new cat seats is DARN impressive for the size. very easy to get to, stuff cant disappear under the seat like on the old cat ones.

I just have a hard time wondering how people can still take it so hard from boss and still buy stuff from em.

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Cat claim that they "fixed" the issue of the seats soaking up water? The new ones are supposed to be completely sealed off from moisture. I havn't been around them yet but I do have one ordered so I guess that I will find out...

Boone

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
i just pulled the boss high rise flat top w/ pouch off my 09 m8 153.it weighed 6.0 on a bath scale. swapped out w/ the new cat seat, and it weighed 10. the reason i switched is i went from a 153 m7 w/ the dbx rear kit and had plenty of room still for gas and my skins tunnel bag.but when i put the boss seat on my 09 and it left me no room. the tunnel is like 4" shorter on the 09. then the rear tail light takes up a lot of space.i just felt it was my best option.

the cover fits very loose, unless they changed foams, the water is still getting in there.....mm

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
its a lot to do with the comfort, possition, and how much its sucks to get a boss.. the '10 cat ones are like $200 cheaper then boss, and you can actually get them, so for most of the people i know, the weight is a plus, but they want it for the stance, i ahve sat on the new ones and man, they are a LOT more comfortable to stand and sit on then the old ones, which are WAY to low IMO. also, the storage on the new cat seats is DARN impressive for the size. very easy to get to, stuff cant disappear under the seat like on the old cat ones.

I just have a hard time wondering how people can still take it so hard from boss and still buy stuff from em.

a couple of seasons ago i ordered a boss in oct. waited until almost the end of jan. got no seat. finally just got my money back and bought more gas:) ordered my new 2010 cat seat oct. 2nd got it the 14th, a day before it was even supposed to ship:)

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
That's great to know, thank you FASTRACK.

I guess I'll go ahead and keep my rock hard 09 Boss seat now since it's nearly 1/2 the weight of the new Cat seat, and it will be much less than half the weight once the 2010 seats start soaking up water.

It's really too bad that Cat didn't seal off the foam from mositure intrusion like they did the storage compartment.

I must admit, it's a great first shot at building their own seat though.

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
I was looking at the 2010's today and was just wondering why the hcr and le sled seats seem to be wrapped tighter than the sno pro and standard seats? The difference was real noticable.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I have to say, as a hardcore low weight fanatic, that the 010 cat seat is impressive though. It looks like it will keep yer junk dry (never had that with a boss) and it has a good clean look & lots of storage. Oh yeah, it's held on by something more permanent than snaps & velcro....

Still gonna stick with a boss seat for the weight, but if the cat was 3lbs lighter it'd be a simple choice.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I'm with you Backcountry!

"Still gonna stick with a boss seat for the weight, but if the cat was 3lbs lighter it'd be a simple choice".

Maybe next year they will correct the issues and I'll have one too? For this season I'll ride the "board" my 09 Boss High Rise. :beer;

bamb800

Premium Member
Oct 25, 2008
Fountain City, WI
Boss

I didn't price the 2010 cat seats, but I just got my new boss seat for less than 400 bucks, 2 weeks after I ordered it, with no problems. I count 8 zippered storages pouches, and one contains a tow strap. I can't say for sure that it'll keep my stuff dry, but it's gonna hold a lot. No complaints from Boss here.

C
Jan 24, 2009
Labrador, Canada
When I went to the dealership to set everything up for the purchase of my '10 M8 there was an HCR on the floor with the boss seat and right next to it a '10 Sno Pro with the cat seat.

While I like the idea of 5lbs less then the cat seat, it was like sitting on a cinder block.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
From what I have heard you can't compare the snow check Cat Boss seats to a regular Boss seat. Everyone says they are a lot harder. I know my regular Boss is soft and downright comfy. I know what sitting on a cinder block is like.......I ride a KTM.

R
Mar 25, 2009
Palmer,AK.
My 09 Cat Boss seat is wayyyy comfy. Not near as hard as some regular hi-rise's I've seen.
Wouldn't trade it for anything. Best thing I've ever done to a sled.

New Cat seat is $300

New Boss is $370 (shipped) and half the weight.

Easy math to me.

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
Boss has gone to just making one standard seat for most of the sleds.No more custom everything...The people I have talked to this year that have ordered seats all got them in under two weeks after ordering. Smart move by boss to just make one seat and make alot of them so they are in stock.

Premium Features