• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hidden Gems Meeting Eagle County OCTOBER 28!!! Dont Miss this Meeting Sledheads!!

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
OK snowmobilers, this is your opportunity to voice your opposition to the hidden gems proposal. Meeting is October 28, 5-7pm in the eagle county building council chambers!!! Gather up all your fellow sledheads, dirt bikers, mountain bikers, hunters, 4x4, ATV, and anyone else who does not want to see 400,000 acres of colorado public lands locked up forever!!! Dont miss this!!! Come even if you dont live in eagle county because this proposal would lock up land all over the state.

Address is: 500 Broadway, Eagle, CO 81631- MAP: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Eagle&state=CO&address=500+Broadway&zipcode=81631

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
This one is big guys. We need as many people as possible. Hidden Gems is recruiting more people because they have been blown out so far. Come to this meeting, bring a friend or two, you don't have to comment but your presence will be felt. The Holy Cross Powder Hounds will be sending out an email tonight. Eagle County Commissioners are a group that is on the fence. They can be pursuaded if they are overwhelmed with the opposition!

L

live2ride

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
I know it is a huge contoversary with the Mtn Bikers, but we do need them there to voice there opinion. WRFA is trying to fight to keep the public land public for all users, not just the motorized crowd!!!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Can't make it to the meeting but I did post this on the mountain bike forum in the colorado section. Hopefully they have some reps show up that are local in the area.

Just posted over there a few minutes ago.
Funny how they all freak about one stupid little trail, but steal a half a million acres from us all & very few people say squat.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Getting some mountain bikers to this meeting would be great! So many people stand to lose from this not just snowmobilers. bring as many people as you can!!!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The meeting was interesting, a lot of good info & a huge amount of bias from both sides. The actual hidden gems people were less than useful, but the experts that they had brought along had a lot of good information that may have helped some on the fencers decide one way or the other. The person they chose to give the presentation gives me great hope as an opponent of the organization, she was a TERRIBLE speaker.

The overall bias of the attendees, was VERY strong in that the ratio was about 20:1 or better against HG. The room was full & a line went out the door quite a ways. It was rather obvious how most people felt, when a point was made against, the room exploded, when a point was made for, 3 people clapped.

The one handed wonder tried for about 3 seconds to speak & he was harassed away from the microphone, it was rather humorous. Funny that they bring a "celebrity" & he was the last person that anyone wanted to hear from. I do have to give Aaron SOME respect in the fact that instead of arguing & letting the attitude toward him get to his ego, he just shut up & sat back down.

From my perspective, aside from a few rude motorized folks & a few whack job anti motorized people (one guy looked like he was going to have an embolism right on the spot) , it was a productive meeting.

Thanks to paulharris for his comments & facts, he was a great person to have on our side, came with stats & useful info & had the smarts to position himself in the front of the room so he wasn't as easily dismissed as some others.

Also thanks to broken crank & snoww1 for coming, at least there were a few of us there. (may have been others I didn't meet)

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Thanks everyone for an incredible turnout! I hope the commisioners got a very clear message from this meeting that we dont want the hidden gems. Anyone who didnt get to comment please email or write the commisioners this is far from being over.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
A big thanks to people who came out. It's hard to get people that care to show up to this stuff. Our club was there strong in numbers and a couple of them even made the "No to Hidden Gems" shirts. Here is a link to the Vail Daily's article today:

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20091028/NEWS/910299999/1078&ParentProfile=1062

In the pick is several WRFA members. You can see the guys in the white "no Hidden Gems" shirts. The funny part of this picture is the old guy in the white shirt (opposition) sitting right next to the guy with the green hidden gems sticker (proponent)!

M

Mnt bound

Aug 16, 2008
Western Colorado
I was at the meeting last night. Great turn out. Thanks to all that came. It was a win in my book. I need to fill out one of those comment sheets the county had. They had run out by the end of the meeting. The county manager said there was a link printed on the back to fill it out online. If anybody has that link could they post it here.

Thanks,
MB

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
A big thanks to people who came out. It's hard to get people that care to show up to this stuff. Our club was there strong in numbers and a couple of them even made the "No to Hidden Gems" shirts. Here is a link to the Vail Daily's article today:

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20091028/NEWS/910299999/1078&ParentProfile=1062

In the pick is several WRFA members. You can see the guys in the white "no Hidden Gems" shirts. The funny part of this picture is the old guy in the white shirt (opposition) sitting right next to the guy with the green hidden gems sticker (proponent)!

I think Dominique did a good job on this article, it was the first that seemed to not be biased toward HG of all the press that I've seen so far.

It was good to see her there presenting an unbiased view of the meeting.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I think Dominique did a good job on this article, it was the first that seemed to not be biased toward HG of all the press that I've seen so far.

It was good to see her there presenting an unbiased view of the meeting.

Hostile crowd. Were you all hostile? I would have gotten a kick out of the group heckling boulder boy.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Hostile crowd. Were you all hostile? I would have gotten a kick out of the group heckling boulder boy.

He (Aaron) offered to take over once the crowd got restless. He jumped up and grabbed the mic like he was the messiah. The crowd booed him away before he could even say one word. It was priceless.

Another great moment was when the guy in the front row in the red shirt got mad at the majority and screamed "you're killing the trees!". Oh my god, I thought I was going to snot myself over that one.

L

live2ride

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com

Can you see them all yelling and jumping up and down being hostile?? HAHA, yes some were out of line on both sides.

Thank you all for showing up and your support!!! Paul, thank you for doing the COHVCO states, it was perfect. We knew as soon as the stats were done what HG was going to do. Shoemaker is famous for saying the numbers don't mean anything then he turns them into his own. It gave Jack (VP of WRFA) the perfect opportunity to comment. We will have more of these meetings unless HG decides to chicken out. AGAIN we will need you all there, to show the support, even though some were not in the room the Commissioners, and others knew you were there.

Premium Features