• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Attention all polaris rmk iq raw owners

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
I'm in for a set and I don't care if they are stronger and heavier, stornger and lighter, or just plain stronger dang it!:beer;

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
Any updates? Christmas is coming and would look forward to putting these on my wish list.Thanks

B
Apr 2, 2009
Mt. Vernon,Wa.
Sorry to disagree with everyone, but mine have been bent since the first season and have'nt gotten worse nor have I noticed it other than the visual.Sounds like just something else to blow your money on and brag about all the MODS you got.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
We are currently ruining prototypes! Looking good...quite a ways from commercially available...if yours are bent run em (almost all are). If they are destroyed buy stock replacements as the season is too short to wait in order to save money.

Anyway please know that we are working deligently to make this happen. Very promising so far.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm surprised more people who are bending these rails are not considering the wide board kit from WRP.

http://www.wr-products.com/products/runningboards/polaris/Dragon-RMK-Wide/

I don't ride an IQ, but them seem to be a real bargain w/ new rails, snow elimination, and widening out those skinny running boards.

i thought if they mount on the tunnel side like the snow eliminator brand, they would bend the tunnel? maybe that higher part with the wrp symbol gets rid of that?

I alway thought that looks stronger but its all about which way the force is directed......

my rails arnt bent but my boards are sagged, i may have to get some BB's or meethookers............we just have no snow yet

Last edited:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I spend all of my time money and energy trying to make my sled perform BETTER in deep snow. Why on earth would I waste all of that money on performance mods and then throw out an anchor?

NOW HEAR THIS.....
100% proven and undeniable fact concerning how a sled moves through deep snow "anything dragging in the snow absolutely inhibits performance plain and simple". Wide running boards dragging along when the snow is deep enough or light enough that your sled can't maintain a plain on the track alone creates a drag and hinders forward inertia.

and...yes sledneck_03 it is absolutely a fact that you add no structural support on the IQ RAW RMK chassis by riveting support metal to the base and we have seen several occurances of metal fatigue damage by the front suspension mount bracket on sleds that have had an insert riveted to the bottom. The factory design calls for support to the outer edge from the front steering hoop the rear suspension bracket and the upper section of the rear tunnel section. Unfortunately for a large percentage of users of this application the outer support bar appears to be susceptable to bending. That is why we are talking about building a stronger bar with the added benefit that it can be brought to market cheaper then factory stock replacements for those that have suffered catastrophic damage to that part. It's early yet so we don't really know what the actual bend rate difference is going to be. It may work perfectly for some and then others might put enough force that even a heavier part may bend. That is what we have to experience in testing so that as we market this part sledders will have the information of how their parts will be "expected" to perform.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I spend all of my time money and energy trying to make my sled perform BETTER in deep snow. Why on earth would I waste all of that money on performance mods and then throw out an anchor?

NOW HEAR THIS.....
100% proven and undeniable fact concerning how a sled moves through deep snow "anything dragging in the snow absolutely inhibits performance plain and simple". Wide running boards dragging along when the snow is deep enough or light enough that your sled can't maintain a plain on the track alone creates a drag and hinders forward inertia.

and...yes sledneck_03 it is absolutely a fact that you add no structural support on the IQ RAW RMK chassis by riveting support metal to the base and we have seen several occurances of metal fatigue damage by the front suspension mount bracket on sleds that have had an insert riveted to the bottom. The factory design calls for support to the outer edge from the front steering hoop the rear suspension bracket and the upper section of the rear tunnel section. Unfortunately for a large percentage of users of this application the outer support bar appears to be susceptable to bending. That is why we are talking about building a stronger bar with the added benefit that it can be brought to market cheaper then factory stock replacements for those that have suffered catastrophic damage to that part. It's early yet so we don't really know what the actual bend rate difference is going to be. It may work perfectly for some and then others might put enough force that even a heavier part may bend. That is what we have to experience in testing so that as we market this part sledders will have the information of how their parts will be "expected" to perform.
i run my size 14s fine on my iq they are wide enough, i actually ride with my foot centered on the rail and never have fallen off from this. the only problem is snow build up boondocking in pow building up

i also highly agree with the wide running board part, i had a short tracked edge long tracked with wide running boards and it would get hung up on the boards all the time

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
i run my size 14s fine on my iq they are wide enough, i actually ride with my foot centered on the rail and never have fallen off from this. the only problem is snow build up boondocking in pow building up

i also highly agree with the wide running board part, i had a short tracked edge long tracked with wide running boards and it would get hung up on the boards all the time

Would agree with you and F-bomb 100% The new sleds and the running boards are part of the rideing configuration. We all use to cut the tunnels on the old sleds, (BEFORE BETTER BOARDS) until there where no more support in the tunnel to try to create less drag on the running boards. If a person is not use to the new style of running boards, it for sure takes a few times out to learn where to position your feet. Once a person figures that out it becomes very enjoyable to ride the new sleds. As far as the support frame bending I have not had that problem. Mybe I'm not rideing hard enough?

Just my two penny's

Last edited:
R
Apr 4, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
cool

Both my sled's running boards are bent. On my 07 I straitened them and bent them and straightened them and so on and so forth. Now i just leave them bent. I think it makes me look cooler because it is battle damage. I think that since they are somewhat flexible they absorb shock that would otherwise go to the knees or back.
I put the BETTER BOARDS on both sleds and I like them. The louvers might be a little high for just putting around the house but it is 100 times better in the fluffy snow.

:beer;:cool:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
PROGRESS REPORT:

OK prototypes came through coating testing very well.

I also installed a different finish run prototype set last night and I'll start to test them for rigidity and field durability tomorrow.

I think the real value of these will be an inexpensive replacement from a factory part with certain added strength. It looks like we will be able to bring these to market at a 30% savings over stock. The metal that we spec is significantly thicker in chromoly. I'll have exact specs when we get our absolute production stuff done. The prototypes weighed in 1.6 lbs heavier net on a complete set. Did these is blue for this sled...looks very nice! Another cool advantage will be the availability of first run colors.

I'll take some photos when we get the sled out of the shop but you wouldn't be able to tell any difference from stock...very cool!

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Well so far seems good. Fitment was good..seem rock solid. Now we just need some serious miles of woops and landings for field testing. Waiting on our lab reports for actual bend rates or distortion. No probs seen yet. I think it's going to be a great replacement part option for IQ RAW owners.

attachment.php

New Chromoly Better Bars test.JPG

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
replacement bars

I saw the "sneak" pics of the 2011 switchback or something, rush front end with raw rear, and it appeared to have different material for the bars, they looked like a natural fininsh??? I'm not sure if you've seen the pics but I'm wondering if polaris is looking at the same thing as you are?, by the way I have black better boards on mine and love them!

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
Keep us posted. When there available I'll order a set in red and my better boards at the same time.

Premium Features