• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEW TUNNEL CONCEPT FOR THE 2007 -2010 RMK'S w/pics... WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I think this is an awesome idea. As a guy who is currently putting a new tunnel/bulkhead on my 07 RMK 600, this concept would have saved me a ton of time. Awesome idea, and I think they would sell like hot cakes.:D

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Thats the idea... make them so that the average Joe will want to buy/install it... then it makes sense to make them.

Also, these could be made for typical setups (155 or 163) and be made for stock rather than one at a time custom orders!!

The functionality of a bit wider running board, stronger drop bracket, more natural feeling running board that has the snow elimination feature built in .... PLUS a very cool look and great deep snow performance.

All in a package that does not require stripping your sled down to near nothing.

These should be a home run!!

Last edited:

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Stripping it down to near nothing, yea, I was at that point this morning, I just put the steering hoop/handlebars back on the new tunnel.

Tunnel replacement 011 (Medium).jpg

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Yea... that "sled" in the foreground is what you need to do for a tunel replacement...

Nice work Sxrlar

This concept avoids most of this!!

attachment.php

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
I would be interested in a couple but have a couple of concerns
1. Is there enough meat around the front suspension mounts for various suspensions such as ez-ryde and other after market suspensions?
2. Have any of these been tested with that big of webing? The sides of these tunnels are extremly weak without the strength of the running boards. I know the top of the tunnels are strong but mine still buckled the side and shoved the suspension forward 2 inches. Any way just wandering if it's enough material to be strong enough for the added width.
3. Is there a possibility that the rear would start to crack with an open web design like that from us turbo guys always packing gas on the extension. Of course it won't do it right away but over time from hard riding with a gas can back there. Maybe I am way off but I have just seen some cats that have put lightning kits on and over time the tunnel cracks so you go to lift on the rear of the sled and the back half breaks off. I know the poo coolers are tough as he'll this just came to mind when I first say it.
Maybe I am way off but that is just some thoughts. Great concept and hope you guys can pull it off would be a good seller. They can't make these for all the models because they won't sell any full tunnels anymore!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Poophead... good questions.

Much more than stock than the stock tunnel... which is what The EZ ride mounts to .. they put a plate on the inside ... I'm sure that custom orders could be handled on a special order basis.

The Holz, timbersled, K mod, Fabcraft mount to the stock location in front...

The rear can be left undrilled.

The 1/4" thick VE tunnel sides with integrated drop brackets are very strong...

This concept would be as strong as any previous VE tunnels and certainly stronger than the stocker that is made of .063 aluminum.

If you are finding that you pack crap loads of gas... upgrade to the Trail tank 15.5 gallon tank... carry a 2.5'r behind that for 18 gallons total... keeps it centralized.

The Cats have weak tunnels to start with... the lightening kit you talk about was a bumper from BDX... it made an already weak tunnel weaker.

The VE design is to increase function, deep snow capability and sure footedness... this kit would continue that tradition.. a pound or so weight saving is a side benefit but not the purpose of a kit like this.

Again... the 1/4" thick tunnel sides are what really adds the strenght... positioned correctly.. the webbing will not detract from the strength.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I think if you compare it to the cr racing sides you will need to make some improvements IMO. unless its alot cheaper

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I like this concept a lot more than the CR concept. That one you were replacing the tunnel sides... which IMO, all the work it would take you might as well replace the whole tunnel.

I would say gold star on this.... great concept and idea. Wish this would have been out a couple months ago, when I was looking for an extension.

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I think if you compare it to the cr racing sides you will need to make some improvements IMO. unless its alot cheaper

Jkinzer on here did the CR Racing sides last season, he is not a big fan of the CR sides from what I have read.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
for the guys questioning strength, Mr. Van Amburg wont put something on the market unless it will hold up.

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
I have dealt with mike before and he builds an outstanding product every sled Ive had has had one of his tunnels on it. I am not questioning ve's work I am questioning the weak weight saving of polaris side panel. Anyway thanks for the answers MH just thought it had to be asked. So if this does go to production are you guys thinking this year or will it be next year. Usually VE is a couple weeks out when you order a tunnel. That's what was killer for me last year since they build to order it was faster for me to order a complete bulkhead and tunnel assembly from Polaris. I really wanted a VE tunnel but didn't want to wait during the best time of the year but hey I now have a bulkhead to put a tunnel on. But if this is availabe then I could save myself a whole lot of work and maybe save about 5 to 800 dollars? Am I close or no. At this point I think it will come down to availability. Please keep me posted fingers crossed that it will come before snow flies.

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
so MOUNTIANHORSE, i know its in production still but do you have any idea when it might be out for sale to the customers ?

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I didn't look at all the pics before. so does it replace the running boards also? if so I could be interested in them. I don't think my aftermarket boards are holding up and I will have to fix my $200 mistake. so if they do and the price is good I will be all over it. will he have something at the puyallup show that we can look at?

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
Yo MtnHorse,

Get me some measurements or a hand drawing and I can model it up in CAD. I can then run some FEA on it to analyze the webbing design to find out where the weakest and strongest areas are. See the picture below of the FEA I used to confirm that my spindle design will not fail while trying to be as light as possible.

-John

rmk-fsu-010-fea.jpg

Premium Features