• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 Recall

K
Nov 29, 2007
kelowna bc
Just got done reading the bulletin, all low altitude dragons/rmks/assaults will have to purchase a service silencer from polaris at reduced cost(as of now no cost available)....wont be included with the kit.........at high altitude only polaris stock can or slp replacement can is ok to run..any other can voids warranty...ECU reflash will have an agressive Det sensor..retards timing..adds fuel..if it cant stop the det it goes to limp mode and will only run 6000 rpm until restarted...will flash the service engine soon lite when it senses det.... parts listed are new head, new 2 ring pistons and the reflash...also when the kit is done if customer doesnt have proof that the fuel filter was changed at 1000 miles and again at 3000 miles the dealer must install a new filter(at customers expense) and polaris requires their new polaris gold plus oil to be run to honor the warranty(during first tank of fuel must premix 1 qt of semi synthetic blue oil for break in).... as of now there is no parts released yet..and customer notifications are to be mailed within 2 weeks of today.....

so wonder why we are to buy the parts to make the sled run right? hope poo reads this...you ever buy something thats a peace of $61t.. and when you take it back some sales guy talks you into spending more on something you didnt really want??? this kinda feels like that..or maybe its just a bend over feeling...looks like poo needs to man up and fix the their bad and not costing us anything ...if they ever want us to buy a polaris again..all sled have bad years.. what makes one sled better is to man up and fix it..:beer;

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
so wonder why we are to buy the parts to make the sled run right? hope poo reads this...you ever buy something thats a peace of $61t.. and when you take it back some sales guy talks you into spending more on something you didnt really want??? this kinda feels like that..or maybe its just a bend over feeling...looks like poo needs to man up and fix the their bad and not costing us anything ...if they ever want us to buy a polaris again..all sled have bad years.. what makes one sled better is to man up and fix it..:beer;

oddly they are replacing the can on the short tracks since they are built for low altitude...I am sending slp a email right now to see if the slp can and pipe will still work at low elevation...my guess is it will with the resistor reinstalled to richen it back up....

XPWY

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
WY
Hopefully the SLP pipe/can combo will not void the warranty at ANY altitude. Someone chime in if you've heard the official word.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Hopefully the SLP pipe/can combo will not void the warranty at ANY altitude. Someone chime in if you've heard the official word.

polaris will void the warranty for the pipe...always have and will continue to do so...the slp can is ok at elevation(looks like over 3000 ft. if I read it right)

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
So this is for real right? Not just internet rumor real? I bought my sled in Washington and had it shipped to me in MN, that shouldn't be a problem right?

its for real...all any dealer has to do is enter your vin into their dealer computer and it will list the service bulletin........and any dealer should be able to do your sled..you might call the new dealer and give them your info and vin so polaris can send you a formal letter to get it fixed.......

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Just got done reading the bulletin, all low altitude dragons/rmks/assaults will have to purchase a service silencer from polaris at reduced cost(as of now no cost available)....wont be included with the kit.........at high altitude only polaris stock can or slp replacement can is ok to run..any other can voids warranty...ECU reflash will have an agressive Det sensor..retards timing..adds fuel..if it cant stop the det it goes to limp mode and will only run 6000 rpm until restarted...will flash the service engine soon lite when it senses det.... parts listed are new head, new 2 ring pistons and the reflash...also when the kit is done if customer doesnt have proof that the fuel filter was changed at 1000 miles and again at 3000 miles the dealer must install a new filter(at customers expense) and polaris requires their new polaris gold plus oil to be run to honor the warranty(during first tank of fuel must premix 1 qt of semi synthetic blue oil for break in).... as of now there is no parts released yet..and customer notifications are to be mailed within 2 weeks of today.....

Glad to see they figured out that the fuel filters were part of the problem finally. I found that issue late last season.

XPWY

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
WY
Wow. I have an 08 with the SLP single, and was told by my dealer back in 08 that the single would not void the warranty since no ecu reflash was required (high elevation). I had no idea that I have been running with no warranty.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Wow. I have an 08 with the SLP single, and was told by my dealer back in 08 that the single would not void the warranty since no ecu reflash was required (high elevation). I had no idea that I have been running with no warranty.

X2! I thought you could actually get the pipe from Polaris?? I think we will be ok though, I had mine redone last season and I had the pipe and can on at that time. Nobody said squat! They didn't cover the V-3's though. I had to pay for those myself after the cylinder skirt took them out! Whatever, I just want my sled back to reliable so I don't have anymore days on the heavy 9. No offense to any who still have one, the D8 is just waaaaaay easier to ride!

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City

Thanks for posting this AK.
Ok, for starters no manufacture by law can deny warranty for the use of a different oil as long as the oil used is of proper grade/standard. Talk about being in bed with someone, good for SLP! I would sure like to see where a Skinz, HPS, or any other silencer effects how these run. Sorry to sound negative, but I'm not sold on getting this done. My sled has never had running issues. I would just like some tighter pistons which the 2 ring should help. I just don't want to hand over a perfectly running sled and get back something that may or may not run right. I'm glad I didn't get last years update. Look what that accomplished. I think I may pass....

S

Super B

Dec 26, 2002
Monticello, MN
www.rooost.ca
So let me get this straight, I ride my '09 D8 RMK at low elevation (953 ft) and high elevation (7000 +) and I will have to buy the short track can just to ride my sled here in MN, and switch it back out before I ride out west? And to top it off, I have to purchase this "low elevation" can?

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
AKSNOW,
I find the pipe/warranty comment interesting. Polaris sells the pipe as a factory installed option on the "build your sled" program on-line and I know that mine was installed right at 0 miles by the dealer when it was purchased new. I know in the past a simple aftermarket pipe install would void but I figured with this marriage between SLP and Polaris that this would be an exception. Comments?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
AKSNOW,
I find the pipe/warranty comment interesting. Polaris sells the pipe as a factory installed option on the "build your sled" program on-line and I know that mine was installed right at 0 miles by the dealer when it was purchased new. I know in the past a simple aftermarket pipe install would void but I figured with this marriage between SLP and Polaris that this would be an exception. Comments?

most of the good dealers have been standing behind them....polaris wont unless it is slp's can only...my slp single has been sitting on the shelf collecting dust for quite a while now...as long as a part doesnt cause problems or directly cause a blowup it should be ok to run without voiding warranty is what I think.........mine will stay stock until I can determine that the pipe wont cause a problem .........

I
Nov 26, 2007

So I'm a short track low elevation rider and Polaris has sold me a sled for $10,000 that has an exhaust can that they have found to negatively effect the performance and reliability of their product. My sled is still under it's original factory waranty and they want me to purchase a new exhaust can from them to make my sled perform properly?! Are you kidding me?!!!

Also, fuel filters only last 1,000mi? What the heck's up with that???? I've got other rec vehicles that I've owned for 5-10yrs and never had to change a fuel filter (not saying that's proper maintenance - just saying WTF)?

This should get interesting for sure...

M

Mikew5j

Aug 3, 2008
Namao, Alberta
oddly they are replacing the can on the short tracks since they are built for low altitude...I am sending slp a email right now to see if the slp can and pipe will still work at low elevation...my guess is it will with the resistor reinstalled to richen it back up....

I sent SLP an e-mail too. Lets see if we both get the same answer.

M

Mikew5j

Aug 3, 2008
Namao, Alberta
So I'm a short track low elevation rider and Polaris has sold me a sled for $10,000 that has an exhaust can that they have found to negatively effect the performance and reliability of their product. My sled is still under it's original factory waranty and they want me to purchase a new exhaust can from them to make my sled perform properly?! Are you kidding me?!!!

Also, fuel filters only last 1,000mi? What the heck's up with that???? I've got other rec vehicles that I've owned for 5-10yrs and never had to change a fuel filter (not saying that's proper maintenance - just saying WTF)?

This should get interesting for sure...

Short tracks get the can for free. It’s the RMK owners that will have to pay.

Premium Features