• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

question for those who clutched their D-8's

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Want to say thanks to AK for all his help. Ran my dragon today with a set-up recommended by him and what a difference. Was able to pull 8350-8400rpms at about 6500 feet and 8200 at 9500 feet. Here is what worked for me:
SLP MTX 68 gram weights with no rivets
60-38-.36 Helix
SLP Green Pink primary
Stock secondary with 2 delrin washers
This is with an SLP pipe and can.

Night and day difference.

glad the sled is doing better for ya now AEB,,..thats good news..so much funner when they rip huh?

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Roger that. Going to change to a pink exhaust valve spring this week and see how that shakes out as well. I noticed my orange ones were not opening fully at wot. Don't know how much difference that will make, but the SLP guys recommended it. Going to try and run mine with a PC3 from a friend of mines and the SLP map as well. Either way, the sled runs way better now than it used too. Crossing my fingers and hoping it will stay that way.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Maybe then it will run with the XP's :face-icon-small-hap
J/K

They sure disapear fast when ever we show up huh?

yes they do..that was funny when the one came over and hit it..on the left side where it was less steep, poached the first half of the hill and still didnt come within 20-30 ft of any of our dragons......

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Nice. I am just happy mine pulls rpms when under load. I rode my buddies 800 TURBO yesterday set at 10lbs, with the push to pass button. YIKES! That is an entirely different experience. Then again I have 5 grand more in my pocket and don't have to buy av gas. I guess a guy can dream for next year though. As Ferris Bueller would say "If you never have driven one, I highly recommend it, it is so... choice"

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Nice. I am just happy mine pulls rpms when under load. I rode my buddies 800 TURBO yesterday set at 10lbs, with the push to pass button. YIKES! That is an entirely different experience. Then again I have 5 grand more in my pocket and don't have to buy av gas. I guess a guy can dream for next year though. As Ferris Bueller would say "If you never have driven one, I highly recommend it, it is so... choice"

We were riding with johns D-7 with a hms turbo..9pds...very very impressive..as quiet as my slp single, totally smoooth...never a belch.fart..pop..just silky smooth ..on the trail, the hill or jumping..but man that thing would take me places I dont need to go....but way nice...

D
Dec 15, 2007
Washington State
Thanks Mike I have read the entire post and looked at the vids on youtube. I have a 09 D-8,155 with all the latest updates and flashes, stock pipe with an SLP can,Green pink primary with 62g polaris weights, black purple in the rear with washers. Stock gearing(19-41) The sled runs around 8300 on a climb at 5000 ft. In your opinion will I be able to pull MTX weight? if so what would you recomend for rivets?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Thanks Mike I have read the entire post and looked at the vids on youtube. I have a 09 D-8,155 with all the latest updates and flashes, stock pipe with an SLP can,Green pink primary with 62g polaris weights, black purple in the rear with washers. Stock gearing(19-41) The sled runs around 8300 on a climb at 5000 ft. In your opinion will I be able to pull MTX weight? if so what would you recomend for rivets?

you should be able too, 68 mtx's with 1 in the tip and 2 in the belly should be a good starting point..more helix might help as well....62/42/.46 is what I run..the steeper initial angle should allow harder aceleration and less trenching.....

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Thanks, Do you or have you run a fuel controller? do they work?

no fuel controller for me..I thought about getting one..but several peeps who have, have reported no performance change..and since mine shows a very very light tan/dark white plug with a pretty good piston wash I doubt a controller will help, other then for a very minor tip in hesitation at low elevations...I am working on a different way to slightly lean the top for those who would rather not buy a controller...

M

MNIQR

Feb 28, 2006
I tried the MTX 68's out today at sealevel.
Tried 3 belly 2 tip and 3 belly and 1 tip. the 3/2 seemed to work better, however i think i need to do some adjusting in the secondary. Im gonna replace my spring and washers as they have over 1000 miles on them and move my 64 helix from the 42 finish side to the 44 finish side.
Today i could get 8200 at 3/4 throttle and it wouldnt go any higher at full throttle(8200-8250) unless i held it WFO across a lake then it would slowly climb to 8300.
Im thinking i need more finish angle and a fresh spring in the secondary and see how she goes then.

T
Oct 8, 2008
i need a good clutch set up for my assault -09
I got PCIII, slp mtx 71gr weights with 3gr in the belly with a team spring 165-344, delrins washer i secondary, 19/41 gearing.
I dont wanna change helix!
now it revs up to 8400 and goes down to 8200..but it feels very tierd on top.
it pulls harder on 90% throttle then WOT. I have also tried empty weights then it revs to 8450 but feels very slow on top. what to do?
I am a flatland rider.

Thx / D

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
i need a good clutch set up for my assault -09
I got PCIII, slp mtx 71gr weights with 3gr in the belly with a team spring 165-344, delrins washer i secondary, 19/41 gearing.
I dont wanna change helix!
now it revs up to 8400 and goes down to 8200..but it feels very tierd on top.
it pulls harder on 90% throttle then WOT. I have also tried empty weights then it revs to 8450 but feels very slow on top. what to do?
I am a flatland rider.

Thx / D

try pulling the 3 grams from the belly and adding 2 grams to the tips and see if it wont pull harder up top...

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Seems odd that they pull harder at 3/4 to 7/8 of WOT. Just got my 09 D8 out of the breakin period and it will rev 100 to 150 rpms higher just off WOT
is this a TPS adjustment? or how they all run?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Seems odd that they pull harder at 3/4 to 7/8 of WOT. Just got my 09 D8 out of the breakin period and it will rev 100 to 150 rpms higher just off WOT
is this a TPS adjustment? or how they all run?

Adobe, it could be any of a number of things..fuel mapping, tps,clutching...if you run a standard style weight it is most likely not a clutching issue but the adjustables might allow you to get enough mid weight weight and have a light enough tip to cause it....I would have the tps schecked/set with a multimeter though(not with digital wrench).....

T
Oct 8, 2008
the tps is spot on, and mapping is the latest dynotech for slp singlepipe.. what else to look at?? I thought it should pull VERY VERY hard att 8400 rpm..but it seems to be powerless that high.. any difference because of low elevation? according to dynotechs dynosheet they seem to deliver most power at 8100?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
the tps is spot on, and mapping is the latest dynotech for slp singlepipe.. what else to look at?? I thought it should pull VERY VERY hard att 8400 rpm..but it seems to be powerless that high.. any difference because of low elevation? according to dynotechs dynosheet they seem to deliver most power at 8100?

I have run mine as high as 8500 since I bought it in dec 07(2008 D-8),,sled has always regardless of pistons,heads, or flashes pulled hardest between 8300 and 8450...I think its most likely clutching related..what exactly I am not sure of yet..let me think about it and see what I come up with....

Premium Features