• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mtn Tek turbo install help? Tips? Tricks?

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
Working with my dealer & learning about Mtn Tek as we go, as we are new to the turbo game. Ive read the Mtn Tek thread but at the moment I'm limited by my basic member status and we're neck deep into the first kit. Looking for a couple pointers....

We're installing kits on a brand new '16 155", a brand new '17 163" & a new '18 163"

We don't have the harness to connect & run the oil pump to get everything primed/bled. What's the safest way to do so?

We'll be running in Cooke first, wondering if anyone has any preferred clutching they have dialed in? We plan on running at 6 or 7 lbs, I believe how they were set at Mtn Tek

We'll be installing the injectors, rail, & turbo tomorrow, most everything is done up to there.

Please, bare with me, we're new to these kind of installs. We're trying to help our dealer out & be the guinea pigs here as they are getting more into the performance/aftermarket side of the business

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
pretty well agreed across the board TRS or Indy Dans kits are proven to put the power through the train and on the snow like a champ!!! as far as the oil.... I just primed all tubes and turbo with syringe of oil and watched and made sure any small air bubble ran through but it was not a mtn tek kit.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
That'll work. Shouldn't be much Guinea pigging with these though they really are pull and go assuming the install is done well.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
Right, haha, that's what I mean by guinea pigs, we have plenty of mechanical know how, but like anything, we have to learn by doing. We pumped the oil lines full before attaching them, will pump more into the turbo feed line before we hook it up. The quality & ease of operation is why we decided on mtn tek. Once again, just looking for advice from all of you with way more experience. We're pretty excited to be doing this & more excited to have them done & on the snow next week

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
Just dont place the vacuum reference in the side of the Reed valves like they recommend. Its a pretty bad spot, and the Rubber Cage blocks the outlet from the hole. Plus it also breaks the seal for the reeds when drilling thro the plastic.

Either put it in the Rubber boot pre reeds, or in the throttle body. Just place it on the right side ?

Its possible to drill n tap in a pretty good spot on the throttle body. And just loctite/glue the connection that comes with the kit.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
There's a procedure in the service manual on page 3.28 to prime the oil pump lines without using digital wrench.

ENGINE MUST NOT BE RUNNING TO PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE
1. Connect a power up harness to the ECM PWR AND and DC PWR test connectors and to a fully charged battery (I use 2 power up harnesses from SLP).

2. Lock parking brake

3. Push and hold the PERC

4. While pressing & holding the PERC button, press on the throttle lever enough to depress the throttle release switch. Hold for 15 seconds.

5. The ECU will cycle the oil for approximately 30 seconds. After the prime procedure is completed, verify there are no air bubbles larger than 1" in any of the engine oil supply lines.

In you case where the ENGINE oil lines are already purged, I'd start the engine and run it to ensure you don't pump too much oil into the crankcases if you have to run this procedure again to get the air out of the turbo oil supply line.

We don't have the harness to connect & run the oil pump to get everything primed/bled. What's the safest way to do so?

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
We got the harness to plug into the diagnostic port, ran it via laptop briefly. Filled turbo with oil to spec & was told by Mtn Tek that we need to run at least 15 minutes to get remaining bubble out of turbo line.

1st kit is running & seems all good. Not sure how to mount that bullydog monitor where it'll be safe though.

We're about half done with the second kit. Should go together fairly quick tomorrow.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
The '16 & '17 both ran great. Had them to Cooke City the 15th through the 18th, poor snow most places but got a few opportunities to open them up. Good break-in trip as the machines were both brand new. As far as I can tell these are very well thought out kits built for consistency. We need to play with clutching a little bit and get another good trip in but I think 7-9lbs is where we'll run until we're a little more comfortable. Other than the hot start issue that Mtn Tek is still working on, they just plain worked. Turn key & ride. No extra BS. Very eager to get out & put miles on this thing!

Premium Features