• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 G4 850 Owners: GET YOUR FREE UPDATES

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As the season has kicked off early for some riders, I thought it was a good idea to post this up once again.

I just called my local dealer, gave him my VIN and got my sled upgrade parts on order, I would encourage you to do the same..

==============

https://www.ski-doo.com/community/ontrack/2018-ski-doo-summit-freeride-update-2017-improvements.html

2018 Ski-Doo Summit/Freeride Driveline Update and 2017 Belt Durability Improvements

You might recall that for Model Year 2018, BRP announced changes to Ski-Doo REV Gen4 snowmobiles proven to increase drive belt durability – these are recapped here:

• New gearing (Summit and Freeride)
  • New belt
  • Better cooling in CVT compartment - New Clutch cover with improved flow
  • Revised PTO and MAG engine mounts
  • Revised CVT Calibration
  • Finned fixed pDrive sheave
  • Frame reinforcement (directs air flow for better cooling) on mountain sleds
Also, as promised, we are updating you on steps we’ve taken for Model Year 2017 REV Gen4 owners that experienced early belt failure, and those are outlined below.

While the vast majority of 2017 owners did not experience an issue related to drive belt life, there was a considerable amount of buzz surrounding belts and heat last season. We want owners to know that Ski-Doo is being proactive and transparent in addressing any real or potential issue well before your next riding season. Furthermore, as the OEM it’s our job to deliver on our product promises - and that’s why we’re reaching out to you today.

For Summit 2017 REV Gen4 owners who’ve experienced early belt failure, BRP will provide the following updates:

• Gear ratio change (21 top/53 bottom)
  • PTO Engine Mount Shims
Those updates will be available at no cost for the customer on both 154” and 165” platforms. Combined with the new belt (part number 417 300 531), they will significantly improve belt life and lower driveline temperatures.

Note that other MY18 improvements shown below are backwards compatible and can also be installed on MY17 snowmobiles at the owner’s discretion and expense. Contact your dealer for more information.

Belt-first.jpg

=======================

I have been told that some dealers are also doing these two as part of the free upgrades.

-fuel butterfly mechanism bolt adjustment to prevent fuel hose damage
-tie wrap on fuel hose to fix them

Of course I expect all of us will move over to the new belt this season
And that leaves two major possible upgrades.

-replace clutch inner fixed sleeve with new vented version
-Install an engine compartment reinforcement plate.

While I haven't made up my mind on the clutch yet, I did go ahead and order a Grip-n-Rip 2017-18 G4 Brace Kit Bundle that I plan on bolting on in the next week or two. In my humble opinion, we all need to strengthen the 2017 E/S-Mods. They just don't like taking hits from rocks!:face-icon-small-hap

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
Why is the updated 17 gearing different from the 2018 models? And why is the 154 and 165 gearing the same. Up here in scandinavia they will stick with the stock gearing on the 165 (21/51). No shange there.

With the new gearing the 154 is lowered qite a bit while the 18 is at the old ratio.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Had my mini recall done 2017 165x3, changed bottom gear to 53T, installed PTO side shims, checked wiring harness chafing, replaced throttle body retainer nut and injector bolts, clip on fuel line, o ring on ignition coil wiring to hold it in place and lock washer on Egt exhaust pipe sensor to prevent backout; all at Brp's cost.
I paid for the brace and labor to install it. The clutches are now cool to the touch, but wait the sled is not running and is sitting on the stand in the garage in Edmonton. FYI.

Premium Features