• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

165 2.5" or 3" lug?

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
If I was buying an Axys I would choose the 2.6" lug
I have only seen 4 deep powder days this year.. None last year..
And my trusty tractor sp154 goes where the T3's go
I had my mind set on the 3"
Starting to waffle..
I ride 10-15 days out west
Live in midwest, ride some trails here few days out of the season

2.5" better on hardpack/crust
Better cooling?
More reliable?

Thinking 165 sp 2.5???

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
I've never owned a 3", but have built and ridden with a number of them. I ride a very similar schedule to you - a few weeks out West, more time in the Prairies.

Last few times out, in hardpack spring conditions, the 3" tracked machines, even with scratchers, were heating to the point where we had to stop and dump snow on them on the side of the trail. 2.5" machines had no issues.

3" owners mentioned they were changing slides regularily, where they previously owned 2.5" machines and rarely touched slides.

In these conditions, the traction of the 2.5" - 3" isn't noticeable.

Previous ride we had in Feb, conditions were less setup and much deeper, 3" had a obviously clear advantage over the 2.5", although the 2.5" still went most everywhere the 3" did, it just took a little more work.

In my experience, I would not consider a 3" for any type of crossover machine. It's a deep snow machine with compromises in anything but deep snow compared to the 2.5".

Nov 28, 2007
Do not go with the 3" if you ride mostly in flatland conditions. As was said above, you will be changing slides and dealing with overheat issues more often than not. Your only way to make it better is to add wheels back into the suspension but that won't be 100% effective either.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Yep, just put hifax on my buds 15 174
200 miles all he got out of them this season
My XM still has original hifax @ 2000 miles
My track still looks new..
The 2 T3's I ride with are missing lugs
Island park last march was very hard on the T3's

Last edited:

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Yep, just put hifax on my buds 15 174
200 miles all he got out of them this season
My XM still has original hifax @ 2000 miles
My track still looks new..
The 2 T3's I ride with are missing lugs
Island park last march was very hard on the T3's

I just turned 4000km on my 2016 174, same hifax, it is more user than the product. But for the original poster, go with the 2.5 it runs very impressive and for your intended use it will be awesome. saves money to, not more reliable, you just don't need the 3 inch.

Premium Features