• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some help--rear suspension

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
I will try and keep this as short as possible.

The sled is a 2006 Apex MTN with the stock rear suspension and a MMI 8" rear wheel kit. The chaincase is rolled. There is a Boondocker turbo on it but that isn't the problem. It had a 162" by 2.5" camo extreme track.

Last year I speared the track. For some reason my rail tip caps disappeared. I was travelling down the trail at about 50 MPH in soft loose snow. There was a couple wind drifts across the trail. I hit a couple and it speared the track. It locked up instantly and slid to a stop. We towed it out and hauled it home. As always I put things off and didn't work on it until a couple weeks ago.

I purchased a used track with the same part number as the one that was speared-9944M. I pulled the suspension out and installed the new/used track. Now the track hangs way down with adjusters maxed out. I thought maybe the used track was stretched out so I ordered a new track. In comes the 162" by 3" Camo Extreme. I installed it today and WTH. It hangs just as bad. I checked the tunnel and all seems good. Nothing has moved on the chaincase, driveshaft or drivers. The distance between the suspension mount bolts is 31.5" the same as another stock sled that my dad has. I have looked at this thing for hours comparing the two sleds. I am at a loss here.

PLEASE help and give me any ideas as to what could be causing this problem. I never had a problem adjusting the track before I took it out. Is there anything in the suspension that can flip or cam over and cause this problem?????

HELP!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
I will get some pics this weekend.

The axle is all the way back. I pulled the outside billet block off of the rail and it is all the way back in the slide area. This is a Mountain Machines 8" offset rear wheel kit.

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming. With all the knowledge on this forum someone is going to figure this out.

I posted on Totallyamaha and someone mentioned that if the front limiter straps are wrong that it could possible cause something like this to happen. Both of my straps broke when the track speared. I have always made my own. Is it possible that I made them too long this time????? Could this be the cause? I used the two broke pieces to get the measurement. Maybe they were stretched really bad before they broke???

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
My buddy had the limiter straps break a couple times and when that happened the flat bars that run on either side of the rear shock bent. He also lost some of the small locating links that connect the arms. I would suggest printing a diagram of the skid and look through it piece by piece to see if something is missing. Also, on the limiter straps make sure the plastic locator pieces are on the cross shafts that keep the straps in the right place. His were missing and it allows the straps to slide to an angle and they will break again. Good luck.

Last edited:
T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
Mtnxr,

Had that happen before and it sucks. The suspension is then totally uncoupled. Talk about pulling a wheelie.LOL

We dropped down into a hellhole one year and that happened to my sled. I tried numberous times to climb out and couldn't make it. Finally had to take a ratchet strap and lock the suspension down to make it out. Not much fun on the last day of a trip in a blizzard.

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
His track got so loose and skipped so bad we barely got back to the truck.

Premium Features