• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vohk built carls cycle 900 turbo pro

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I rarely chime in on threads like this, however feel there is a bit more to talk about here. First of all anyone who knows me knows I am a fan of power, period, it matter less who or how it comes as long as there is a ridiculous amount of it. That said, the Carl's build turned out great, the motor pulls with authority right off the bottom and got along well with the GTX 2860 at 11k'. It does however fall a tic short on the big end, which is consistent with what find on the natural aspirated units as well. Its a nice motor, and if it were a 1/3 the cost it would be a home run. The trouble starts and ends with the numbers, at more than double the cost of the RKTek 858 one would expect more, bottom line even the RKTek drop in will out leg the Carl's 900 and its less than $800. Generally budget is an important consideration to most riders considering any level of build, if one were to equate horsepower per dollar the choice is pretty clear... As Austin mention the RKTek 858 turbo with a GTX 2863 at a half pound less boost was MUCH faster than the 900 with only a minor sacrifice in bottom end punch due to the application of the larger turbo. For those wondering, the RKTek motor did not like the 2860 at all, it flows way too much air, we will be testing even larger turbos soon to explore the ceiling on this package. More on that later...Hope this helps to clear things up on this matter.

Wow, that's a big statement... Kelseys AC stuff always worked great for me and it looks like his Poo stuff is just as good... Haven't got it on the snow yet but it sounds like I gave my money to the right guy.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Your sled turned out awesome man, Erik got that thing tuned to the T.

Yes he did, after riding it hard for two day in the trees and a couple big pulls and not getting the sled to hiccup or bog one single time I am laughing at the people that think you need a $2,500 standalone

A
Dec 19, 2011
2860 would give snappy bottom end on a 800, decent mid and not as much 3 topend. Add to that a 900 big bore and 11,000 feet. Need a 3 series turbo. 2860 is wheezing to feed that 900 that high up.

Dream sled though. I guess boondocker specs its kits with a 2860? Maybe do a kpa 3071, or garret 3071. Kpa 3 series with oiless center section would be a sexy turbo on a high elevation 900 big bore.

Can someone explain how a rkt 858 or even his dropin kit can compare to a carls 900?

Im actually asking.

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
Net crankshaft horsepower is only loosely relative to engine displacement, though there is some truth to the old adage "There is no replacement for displacement" it doesn't always hold true. There is a tremendous number of variables that effect horsepower, and sometimes the right combination of things will produce a dynamic result. ie do you remember when Cat claimed to have a 140hp 700? that was considerably more power than some 800s being offered at the same time... Nobody believed that until they hit the snow. Current Formula 1 engines are 1600cc, rev over 15,000 rpms and build 750 hp. The Polaris engine is very compact and thus employs a monoblock style cylinder which maximizes the area available for port volume, this is just one possible reason why we see the results we do in testing between these packages. Another is simply a function of rpm, remember that horse power is a derivative of torque and rpms, that said the Carls engine revs 500 rpms less than the RKTek packages. Anyway don't take my word for it, go line them up :)

C
Jan 16, 2013
nothing special about that video, my sled would spank it any day of the week..post another video to prove your sled, that was weak

A

aus091

Dec 25, 2008
Net crankshaft horsepower is only loosely relative to engine displacement, though there is some truth to the old adage "There is no replacement for displacement" it doesn't always hold true. There is a tremendous number of variables that effect horsepower, and sometimes the right combination of things will produce a dynamic result. ie do you remember when Cat claimed to have a 140hp 700? that was considerably more power than some 800s being offered at the same time... Nobody believed that until they hit the snow. Current Formula 1 engines are 1600cc, rev over 15,000 rpms and build 750 hp. The Polaris engine is very compact and thus employs a monoblock style cylinder which maximizes the area available for port volume, this is just one possible reason why we see the results we do in testing between these packages. Another is simply a function of rpm, remember that horse power is a derivative of torque and rpms, that said the Carls engine revs 500 rpms less than the RKTek packages. Anyway don't take my word for it, go line them up :)

Yeah... what he said ^ lol

Premium Features