• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2nd ride observations...The break in gas is finally gone!!

C
good work on the insurance, i am very lucky i insured mine the day i took it home!

Called my agent on the way up the hill!

not saying your a retard at all man!

I know...I said it. Dunno what I was thinking. Straight newb trying to ride alone in poor snow conditions? I'm a tard for sure.

invest in a snobunjie.....the one with the long strap to go with it and then when you get stuck by yourself like that, you can stretch it out to a tree and then just blip the throttle and you will be up on top with no digging.....

So they work then Eh?

I saw one on Flea-Bay durty cheap....I'm gonna buy one. I thought it was a gimmicky deal but after that mounumental solo struggle yesterday to get unstuck? Count me in on the gimmickery!!

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007

I know...I said it. Dunno what I was thinking. Straight newb trying to ride alone in poor snow conditions? I'm a tard for sure.

So they work then Eh?

I saw one on Flea-Bay durty cheap....I'm gonna buy one. I thought it was a gimmicky deal but after that mounumental solo struggle yesterday to get unstuck? Count me in on the gimmickery!!
They work best when you have another sled along. Typical scenario is that the free sled poaches the stuck sled's track, passes by a couple times to make a packed out exit line and then parks slightly to the side of the exit line in front of the stuck sled. Attach the SB from the bumper of the free sled to near side ski loop of the stuck one and stretch it by pulling the free sled forward. Fire up the stuck sled, aim for the packed out exit line and floor it to get back out to the packed exit line. In my experience, they're pretty worthless when you're really stuck good without a packed exit track. There's no avoiding the shovel in many of those situations, like when you nose dive into a deep hole (e.g., your stream) and your skis are pointing down. A good rule of thumb for avoiding bad stucks is, hammer the throttle if you're starting to bog but still moving, but let off the throttle once you've stopped moving. If you stay on the throttle, the track will dig a trench and the shocks will fully extend, which shifts all weight off the track. Then you'll be high centered and have to dig way more to get out.

C
don't mean to hijack your thread ...but where do you get straight Toluene ???
PIC00394-1.jpg

I own a Lot Striping Company and order the stuff in massive amounts from Sherwin Williams as my crew paints with Rubber Chlorinated paint during the winter months and its the hottest solvent available for cleaning that sticky paint out of our striping machines.....

$8.89 a gallon. I use it in my modded Harley that pings like crazy in the hot summer months as well. Thousands of miles on the stuff. It works well.
Picture368.jpg

Toluene as an octane booster:http://www.elektro.com/audi/toluene/

C
thanks for the info ...race gas is a little hard to get here and the buggers at the airport cut me off for av gas. This is just the solution I was looking for, for my sled and bikes !

It works. I would prefer to use a race gas mix but its a hassle to go find and store the stuff.

Toluene comes in metal containers at that $8 bucks a gallon and its convienent. I dont do more than 10-15%. I'm not looking to try and make 100 Octane race fuel with the stuff. I just want the security of knowing I'm running 93-94 Oct using that 10-15% mix to safeguard my pistons.

My Harley pings so bad on straight 91 Ethanol fuel that its a must. Half a gallon of Toluene to 4 gallons of 91 takes what sounds like 1000's of wine glasses shattering n my jugs to a quiet stead thump.

On my Skidoo I'm running Kelseys 14.8-1 "Jug Buster Edition" head. I wont leave home without a load of Telly in me tank or the 5 gallon can in the back of my truck!

So far so good....I found a station up on the way to my primary ride spot that has non-ethanolated fuel as well....Score!!

Nice setup on the XP! I have been a big dirt rider since I was 6 and loved my REV and the XP I now have, they are the closest thing in sleds to a dirt bike.
Welcome to sleddin, your gonna get stuck but ride all the time and you can get really good in a short amount of time.
Sleddin Rules!:face-icon-small-hap

P.S. if you want a really good sled bungee P.M. me.

R
Nov 15, 2009
Spokane,wa
I see what I am in for!

I too am new into sledding! I am a dirt bike guy also and need to feed the addiction of riding longer through the year! I just picked up an 09 800 xp 146. I also ride ktm 2 strokes and love high mountain single track riding!

This is all new for sure but can't wait!

M
Jan 1, 2008
I wouldn't change anything on the settings until you get into some real snow and have 400 miles on the sled. Heck you haven't even got the rings to set yet. About 400 miles is when the real power starts and then it is hang on tight or get flipped off the back. 8300 RPM is a GOOD thing.

Mark

B

bmiller

Nov 26, 2007
stuck in the flats of ND
I will confess to being a retard!!

I figured the answer for my retardation was Progressive full coverage ins....$510.00 a year. $250 deductable.:eek:

I hit a rock yesterday not very hard and was almost pitched when it snatched the bars outta me hands. I then ended up in an undersnow creekbed.....I stayed the trail after that chit.

Its still early for trying to have off trail fun up here. Way early.

Man that is expensive ins. $270 full coverage $250 deductible where I am. But that is Nodak Mutual and I have been with them since High School.

P.s. Get the sno bunje, they work awesome. I had my apex mtn. stuck pretty bad once and all my buds were saying we'll never get that tank out. It popped right out with snobunje. I was jump in the front of the track and pack the snow under the track and the front of the sled.

We still don't have Snow in ND. I hope I get to break in my sled before trip to Cooke at end of Jan.

Last edited:

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA

So they work then Eh?

Sno bunje = NEWB

sorry to break it you guys that have them. The only time i suggest a sno bunje is if you ride with a smaller gal that can't help get the necessary pull when you get stuck. if you need a bunje and you're riding with normal men that have muscles, they are totally unnecessary.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
PIC00394-1.jpg

I own a Lot Striping Company and order the stuff in massive amounts from Sherwin Williams as my crew paints with Rubber Chlorinated paint during the winter months and its the hottest solvent available for cleaning that sticky paint out of our striping machines.....

$8.89 a gallon. I use it in my modded Harley that pings like crazy in the hot summer months as well. Thousands of miles on the stuff. It works well.
Picture368.jpg

Toluene as an octane booster:http://www.elektro.com/audi/toluene/

ha ha - i used to run that stuff as a mix in my modded WRX back 2002/2003. It's a bit dry though...

C
I too am new into sledding! I am a dirt bike guy also and need to feed the addiction of riding longer through the year! I just picked up an 09 800 xp 146. I also ride ktm 2 strokes and love high mountain single track riding!

This is all new for sure but can't wait!

This XP is the hot ticket when coming off a KTM300 smoker...I feel almost at home?

Man that is expensive ins. $270 full coverage $250 deductible where I am

I think it must have something to do with the mountains and the XP loss rate up here? I dunno I had called geico and they were even more.

I wouldn't change anything on the settings until you get into some real snow and have 400 miles on the sled. Heck you haven't even got the rings to set yet. About 400 miles is when the real power starts and then it is hang on tight or get flipped off the back. 8300 RPM is a GOOD thing.

Over Anxious maybe?

We were ready to head this AM when the snow we thought was supposed hit...never did. Arrrrggghhh...I'm thinking a run up to Togwotee is gonna be in order if we cant score some real snow here soon!

J
Feb 11, 2009
california
Sno bunje = NEWB

sorry to break it you guys that have them. The only time i suggest a sno bunje is if you ride with a smaller gal that can't help get the necessary pull when you get stuck. if you need a bunje and you're riding with normal men that have muscles, they are totally unnecessary.

well there you go:D

Premium Features