• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions on my vents

S

Smoot

Oct 27, 2009
Garden City, UT
So i have been thinking I could do my own vents with this screen door type material that i found at home depot, so i went and bought it and got some black rivets and washers and borrowed my friends R&M stencil thing that came with his kit and started cutting.. i have only finished one of the sides but i think it turned out nicely tell me what you guys think?
SL380674.jpg

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad256/nsmoot979/SL380675.jpg
SL380676.jpg

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad256/nsmoot979/SL380677.jpg

S

smileyz

Oct 18, 2008
Lehi, Utah
Better then what I would have expected. But it looks like what you paid for it. Good job on saving some $$$.

L8Rz,
Mike K.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Looks good to me. If you ever want more, find someone to cut you out a aluminum bezel, to go around the outside. What kind of holes are behind the screen. Same size, or round holes?

Looks ok. I dont think I would trust the clutch side. Those holes in the material look to big. I would keep an eye on the clutch and belt to make sure they stay dry. I'm guessing when you get your sled on that side or in the deep powder you could have some problems. My old sled had 2cools vent kit and they use a fine inner mesh as well. It caught alot of powder. I'v never made any vents. If I did they wouldnt look that good. Good luck.:beer;

S

Smoot

Oct 27, 2009
Garden City, UT
wade, the holes aren't as big as the screen, as you can see in one of the pics.. but big enough to let in quite a bit of air. I was a little worried that the holes in the material would be too big so i doubled up and it is about the same size holes as the r&m kit on my buddies sled and he's never had any problem with snow in there.. just needs to snow 4 feet here so i can go find out! i paid about 20 bucks for everything..

T
Feb 14, 2008
Golden BC
the black rivets definately clean it up. i made some on my rev and put the mesh on the inside so it wouldnt catch on any thing. i cut some holes with a jig saw and some with a hole saw. i rounded all edges of the drilled holes with a small half round file as well. the heavy duty/pet door screen has stood up great i also used a hot glue gun around all the seams to help keep any snow out. and hey it was almost free. more money for gas and beer

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
Looks good and for the price great job!! If you didn't build a frame/skeleton for the screen material to wrap around first before mounting then I would put more rivets closer together around the boarder. If you are diving through powder the drag from the snow is going to stretch any gaps you have between rivets and cram snow past them, maybe even rip the material as well, this would completely suck if it is on your clutch side especialy.

Premium Features