• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

D800 Updates - Turbo tuning

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I have a 2008 D800 with Aero 66 Turbo and Attitude box. Steve Packer kit.

The dealer that is doing the updates is recommending that i go to a new single ring piston that has a thicker land (about 3x as thick as the one in it now) instead of the new 2 ring piston that Polaris is sending in the kits. Also recommending a boot retainer.

Does anyone have any feedback on that?

Also, does anyone know about any tuning issues on my turbo once these updates are done?

Are there any recommended settings for my Attitude box that will work best with the new fuel map done with the updates? Any experience or testing done on this yet?

Any info would be appreciated :)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If this is Jack Struthers "new" turbo piston... I'm interested in seeing how this works in this "beta test" season on the piston....

Single ring pistons have plusses and minusses (sp?) thicker ring lands... but less heat transfer from the piston crown to the cylinder walls/coolant.

Jack and the boys at Carls build stuff that flat out rips... From the small amount (2?) of prototype "Struthers turbo" sleds that hit the snow last year I hope they have a good idea of what is going on..."We'll see" is the best answer to this one, IMO.

I believe that Jacks piston is a forged piston I'd like to hear more about this from Carls though...forged pistons have certain operational concerns as well.

Most of the CFi turbos that ran last year were not troubled with the same concerns that stockers had.....piggyback fuel controllers played a major role in that!

Boondockers has done extensive testing on their Turbo 800CFi's with the new pistos and not had problems... their cheif tester, Jared Sessions rides the 800 Polaris as his personal go-to ride... and he beats the snot out of his sleds.

The Arctic Cats run a Double ring piston and the turbos even the race gas versions dont seem to have any problems putting up a fight!

Also, does anyone know about any tuning issues on my turbo once these updates are done?

Unless someone has moved sleds to the southern hemispere of this planet... the answers, for the time being, are purley speculation... even by the mfgs.... IMO...

IMO.. Unless you can get the update without the new head and the new reflash at this point... I'd hold off till you see how this sorts itslelf out... free pistons are tempting... but, by the sounds of it.... you will need to buy these "new" pistons anyway.

How many miles on your current pistons?

BTW...Is your "Steve Packer" Aero kits one of the units that Paul Hurley or Shane Hart installed last year?

My 2 cents

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Thanks Mtn Horse - this is very helpful info.

The single ring pistons are indeed the "Carls pistons". I had the opportunity to ride one of Jacks Pump gas turbos at the end of the season and was impressed with how strong it ran with only 7-8 lbs of boost. (mine runs 12-14 lbs and must use 110 octane fuel). I have always been completely satisfied with their knowledge and work they do there.

Yes, the pistons are something i would have to pay for myself and i was going to add a boot retainer while this was being worked on.

I have only about 350 mile on this sled so far. Since im fairly certain the whole update has to be done at the same time, I am thinking the same thing in that i should probably run this sled until someone has done the necessary testing on the Attitude box settings as it runs very good right now as is. Maybe by Jan or so, they will have it dialed in....?

This kit is from neither of those you mentioned. It was done by a guy locally that installls the Steve Packer kits. I would be interested to know if Mr. Packer has done some testing on this.

Again, thanks for the info, and if you think of anything else, i would definitely love to hear it :)

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
What are they gaining by going to this single ring piston? Just the cooling. Isnt there a train of thought about the single ring... will accelerate a little faster. I dont know if that is the way to describe it or not.

Unless someone would/could show me different, I dont think there is a big advantage to using the single ring. (Other than if Carls thinks it makes a difference... it makes me think a little. There could be a little more to the piston than just the rings though too.) Look @ all the old carb turbo motors, they were double ring. You can run the crap out of those without any issues.

Timbre ....... have you tried calling Packer? If anyone can answer your questions, it is probably him. He is one of the origanal turbo guys.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Outlaw,
I have seen both of the pistons side by side and the difference i saw immediately was the thickness of the "land". The land on the "new" single ring piston is more than twice as thick as those on the 2 ring piston that Polaris is sending in the kits. Keep in mind that i did not actually measure the thickness, but it was easy to see that it was over twice as thick in that area when compared to the 2 ring pistons. I was told that the land(s) is what blows out with too much detonation.

Just FYI...I was able to compare all 3 pistons side by side (the stock single ring one in my sled now, the 2 ring one that is in the kits, and the "new" single ring one that is available for purchase). What i saw was...the thickness of the land on the single ring piston in my sled right now (stock piston) appeared to be the exact same thickness as the one on the 2 ring piston that is in the Polaris update kits. And the land on the "new" single ring piston from Carls was over twice as thick it appeared.

There was no mention of there being any difference in acceleration...just of the land thickness.

I have not called Packer....does anyone know how to contact him? Is he on this site? I'm sure he could shed some light on this subject :)

As far as the attitude box your numbers should be the same to within a half of light. Polaris did more smothing and fixed there trouble spots then anything else. So you will be fine there. As for the head I have not personaly rode a sled with the new head since they kept that under wraps till the season was almost over. All's I know Is from testing this summer is it produces less HP then the head you used to have on it.

T
Dec 4, 2007
Turbo pistons

I will be using the new Polaris pistons and head since that is the standard for the 2010 sleds. Comparing the 2009 single ring and new 2 ring piston and based on many years of turbo riding and testing it looks like it will be a good improvement. The upcoming season will be the true test. My new intercooler option will add improved reliability and more power. Yes it will retrofit my older kits. Call for more info. 801-334-9140.

Steve.

Premium Features