• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 KK carb, plugs won't fire in heads, ?????

T
Feb 8, 2013
Utah
I have a King Cat with a rebuilt motor I am trying to get running. Both heads are ported, had to have one repaired and re-niked. New pistons and rings. It has some kind of high compression head on it. When I put both plugs up against the side of the head they will both fire, but not until the third pull. I can put one plug in at a time and get it to fire, with a spark tester on it, again after the third pull. When I put both plugs in neither will fire, according to the spark tester, no matter how many times I pull it. This is driving me crazy!!
Anybody seen this before???
I tried putting some spray in to see if the tester was the problem, not even a hint of fire.
BTW, there is no gas in the carbs yet, still have to prime the pump. I'm just checking for good spark before I take that step.
I'm thinking maybe the compression is to high and blowing the spark out with both plugs in?
Any ideas?
Did I install something wrong in the stator area and somehow the timing is way off?
Why does it only start sparking after 3 pulls?

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
Try laying the plug on the head with the electrod grounded on the head. have a friend pull it over. Your spark may be weak and under compression not hot enough. Coil or stator weak ???

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I have an 06 M7, at 1600 miles I put the sled away for the summer ran fine when I put it away. Next fall went to start it, no spark. Could not figure it out, finally decided to send in stator to get re-wound, got it back and fired on first pull.

T
Feb 8, 2013
Utah
Thanks

Thanks for the advice, fortunately I had two stators. Put the other one in and it sparked right away. Got gas in the carbs and it runs!!!
Finally!

Premium Features