• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo oil out vent

M
Dec 3, 2007
After about 6 or 7 good pulls with the sled building boost I start to get oil coming up the vent line and out of the vent. Is it possible I just have to much oil in the tank or is there something that could be wrong causing to much pressure in the tank and pushing it out.

DSCN9777.jpg DSCN9778.jpg

M
Dec 3, 2007
It is gravity return. In the first pic that is the lower hose coming off the bottom of the turbo. The hose is bigger than the outlet nipple on the bottom of the turbo.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
What size is the smallest part of the drain hose? What is the angle of the drain hose? Ultimately you want the drain straight down.

M
Dec 3, 2007
The smallest part would be the 90 deg nipple coming out of the bottom of the turbo sense the hose slips over it. Its probably 3/16.

When the sled is idling the oil runs very slowly back down into the tank, about the same rate that the oil pump is pumping it into the turbo.

So your saying that under boost theres not enough oil going back into the tank?

The vent line in on the top of the oil tank so its like is pushing oil out of the tank and up the vent line.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Thats correct. You want a big line without elbows. If you look at Boondocker or Boost-it the drain is straight down. If you look at 2012 Silber kit it has a 90 off the turbo and a small drain. The Silber guys have these vent pressure problems. On his 13 kit he increased drain size.

M
Dec 3, 2007
My only option is to increase my drain size as there is no room under my turbo for the tank. Hope that works.

I still don't understand how the turbo pressurizes the tank.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Yes, you need a larger drain line. At least 1/2" port. As the turbo RPM increases, it creates pressure from the oil draining and if it can't flow quick enough out of the center section it will puke it out the vent...

Premium Features