• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how many cat 800 (2010 to 2012 only please) motors have blown?

2010-2012 cat 800(only 800) engine failure rates

• Total voters
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
About the Polaris thread.

Why drive you sleds value down?
These polls will never be accurate.

Beacause hundreds of us are more interested in trying our best to find the truth about the reliabilty than fretting over our sleds resale value.

It's an effort to contribute something to make the knowledge available better for everyone who participates in the site. For better or worse.

Attitudes like the one displayed in your post are one reason these polls aren't more accurate...:wacko:
Sometimes you gotta be more than just a taker...

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
BC, dont you run the risk of loosing your warranty by doing the clutch mods too? I thought aksnopro lost his and had to fight to get it back?..the fix it kit does seem to be working good on the poo's though and its aprox 800 for it....

In theory I'm sure that's the case, but in reality I can't see that happening.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
3000 clicks and still boostin......did put in a new set of pistons at 2500 for preventative maintaince tho.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Guess we will see when they release the '14.
Cat is testing in Cooke. May try and get a peek.

Last edited:

Monty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wet Coast
2010 M8 3,000 miles, 2,000 boosted...never a problem changed pistons at 2,000 just for maintenance...damn good motor:)

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
Have a 2010 m8 with 2800 miles
Piston skirt broke at 1600 miles, new motor
2 primary clutches
2 secondary clutches
power valve cable broke
Other than that it has been pretty good. M-series was the most dominant chassis in the last decade.

I also own a 2012 Pro but found electrical problems to be the issue with it. New wiring harness in it now so hopefully that was the fix.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
IDK about you but when i see motors go to the dealer for motor replacement they are there a whiiiiiileee.... and atleast for 1.... ONEEE season i had belt problems so what went thru 7 of them... oh yeah THOSE WERE WARRANTEED....

Well, since this is the proclimb section, how did you get your sled's belts warrantied yet no one else can? Seems rather curious

B
Feb 12, 2010
Well, since this is the proclimb section, how did you get your sled's belts warrantied yet no one else can? Seems rather curious

I don't understand all this talk about belts. This is the M series section. I thought this thread was about the motor? If you want to compare 2012 pro belt failures to 2012 PC belt failures make a new thread..... not in this section. Clearly... cat's strong point is their motor. No one can argue that. That alone doesn't say it is a better investment, better buy, or better ride. Cat motors are just more powerful and more reliable. no biggy.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

Like beckwith said... this is the M section, and he was talking about an M.

That being said, quite a few people have had belts warrantied on a sled that is blowing them consistently, M or PC... it's got more to do with having a good dealer than anything else it seems. I've never tried so I can't say whether mine fits into that category or not!

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
I've only got 600 boosted miles on my 2010, no issues. But for what it's worth, there is an '07 m8 in Star Valley that had 7000 miles on it in March. The sled was bought new in '09 and boosted since day one. OVS turbo installed by OVS, new pistons every 2000, reeds every 5-600, he's on his third primary and 2nd diamond drive (BDX since 800 miles and going strong), and on his second Y pipe. All of this at 15 psi since day one. Yeah it's not an HO, but still something cool to talk about. Oh, and he's never logged on to snowiest once...... There could be many more.

D
Apr 17, 2008
M8 crank failure

Lost my crank gear at 350 miles. M8 2010. Thank god for the help cooper at Mountain Magic in talketna,AK . Engine was no where to be found and he got me one somehow days before Alaskas Artic Man. This man was willing to install his own M8 engine to allow me to go to Alaska's Artic Man for 5 days and not even worried about his engine. AWSOME !!!! Well worth the 95 mile drive from Anchorage. But with another 150 miles and tons of High marking this engine has held up.
Time will tell.
scott

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
See i dont know which one i should vote on, i had a motor seize .8mile from the truck on its first ride cause the dealership that set it up didnt bleed the oil pump and didnt pre-mix the tank when they told me they did pre-mix it! if i had to choose one id say number number but i just dont think thats fair to purpose of the thread because it was not AC fault. But now with new motor not an issue to speak of, she has been running solid!

Premium Features