• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Free Ride Down!!! (Seized motor) salute to ski doo

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
I blew up my motor on Friday after an absolutely trouble free year. I had 1700 hard kms on it, went through 1 belt and have beat the hell out of this thing. I took it into the shop on Friday around noon and my new motor (short block) went in today. To be safe they are replacing my injectors which should be done tomorrow and I’ll be back riding this weekend. If that isn’t customer service I don’t know what is…

On a side note, over the last 2 years I’ve gone through 4 motors, every time I was back up and running in 2 weeks with no questions asked, full warranty and a smile on my face. :face-icon-small-hap

THANKS SKI DOO!!!!

146ev

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
My freeride detonated the clutch side piston at 338 miles :behindsofa: no worries was up and running in 2 weeks to ride the hell out of it on the next trip and ran like it did before full warranty also.

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
I cant belive how far the factorys has pushed this!! Its mindblowing to read that buyers of the latest 2strokes are satiesfied even if they blow up the engine the first season.

How the hell did they get us there?

They should atleast last a couple of season. Just my 2cents.....

J
Jan 15, 2010
Four motors in two years, down for 2 weeks each. Next post says piston gone in 338 miles. No wonder they can replace a short block in a few days, I'd have em in stock too if they blew this fast. Cant believe you guys are thanking skidoo for this, you should be cursing them...Does anyone actually buy another one after blowing four motors in two years?

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
what about when the dragons were puking pistons 2 yrs ago and wait a month for Polaris to doo anything

didnt see many poo folks thanking poo!!

Yeah no chit, took a month and a half to get a new oil pump put in under warranty this season on my dragon. :face-icon-small-dis

O
Jan 30, 2011
Black Hills
I cant belive how far the factorys has pushed this!! Its mindblowing to read that buyers of the latest 2strokes are satiesfied even if they blow up the engine the first season.

How the hell did they get us there?

They should atleast last a couple of season. Just my 2cents.....

As our 583 ends its 16th season untouched and our 670 celebrates 13 years of trouble-free, now that's progress.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Four motors in two years, down for 2 weeks each. Next post says piston gone in 338 miles. No wonder they can replace a short block in a few days, I'd have em in stock too if they blew this fast. Cant believe you guys are thanking skidoo for this, you should be cursing them...Does anyone actually buy another one after blowing four motors in two years?

Or maybe changing gas stations???? Not saying this is the case here, I find more failures are caused by owners, bad fuel, poor storage, engine condensation, kids borrowing (unknowingly) etc. than manufacture defaults. Alot of years behind that find.
Because a few engines go down, it always surprises me how it the asumption that they all go down and not just a small percent.
The owners realized that this can happen and are happy that there was a manufacter and dealer there that stands behind there product. My hats off to them to say this and not put the normal negative crap on here.

146ev

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
My piston could of been for a number of reasons and was my first problem in the last 4 years of owning a doo new every year so no complaints and i pushed all of them hard. New motor it happens was one of the first freerides out the door any new sled will have it's bugs let alone a whole new motor look at the PRO's and their electrical problems.

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
I think that you also have to take into consideration that we are hurling these machines up and off mountains, they are a high performance 2 stroke engines running at full RPM for long pulls under heavy load and getting rat bagged on. This isn’t like your truck that you drive carefully every day or even like your moto that you are constantly changing RPM. My Machine looks like it was hit by a tornado, I’ve had it hung in trees, in ditches, upside down, and off more cornices and hucks this year than I can remember. I have no problem at all with going through a couple of these engines a year as long as I’m taken care of when I do.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
I blew up my motor on Friday after an absolutely trouble free year. I had 1700 hard kms on it, went through 1 belt and have beat the hell out of this thing. I took it into the shop on Friday around noon and my new motor (short block) went in today. To be safe they are replacing my injectors which should be done tomorrow and I’ll be back riding this weekend. If that isn’t customer service I don’t know what is…

On a side note, over the last 2 years I’ve gone through 4 motors, every time I was back up and running in 2 weeks with no questions asked, full warranty and a smile on my face. :face-icon-small-hap

THANKS SKI DOO!!!!

LOL. 4 motors in 2 years ..... thanks SkiDoo !!!!!. Sheesh, and some say if we comment on this we'd be quilty of promoting negativity. Wow, no wonder they don't get better, we don't even expect em to. Yeah , 4 motors...but its ok, cause I had fun...when it was running. LOL.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
slick are you not on your second poo motor this year, it happens, but over all it was taken care of quick

LOL. 4 motors in 2 years ..... thanks SkiDoo !!!!!. Sheesh, and some say if we comment on this we'd be quilty of promoting negativity. Wow, no wonder they don't get better, we don't even expect em to. Yeah , 4 motors...but its ok, cause I had fun...when it was running. LOL.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
slick are you not on your second poo motor this year, it happens, but over all it was taken care of quick

What slick is trying to say is that we are being programmed to think blowing up motors is normal and to be expected. I don't believe he is singling out Skidoo as being worse than anyone else. So what if he's on his second motor this year?

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
I have haywired cans together that have completely busted apart. Scraped plastic off of clutches that have rubbed through the side panels. Taken clutch guards home in my pack. Tie wrapped tracks that have ripped. Tied rope to the skiis to steer. Wired exhaust pipes together that broke the springs. Heated recoil springs so I could bend them to get them working again. Used borrowed or low octane fuel. Bled oil injection systems and added oil to fuel because the sled was upside down. Tie wrapped intake boots and carbs on. Dumped pop and beer in cooling systems. etc. etc.
All this and more on the trail and on newer sleds because they are run so hard and neglected, none that I can think of were towed home. Many rode the rest of the day. Many of these things can effect the longevity of and engine.
Lots of things can be the cause of engine failure and if reported to a dealer, would probably void warranty. It is nice to be taken care off............Thats what I think this is about.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007

Nope sorry freddy, no Poo motors for me this year. Retiredpop is on track wth that thinking. We are being played, especially by the 3 supposed mountain specific brands. one's no better than the other, all subject to lots of failures.
And yeah freddy , I know, in your world theres never been a Doo motor fail or get bested on any hill or any drag. I was more talking about the real world, where the rest of us have to exist in reality.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado

Poo Riders? Yeah, those POS sleds have never had an engine failure. The 900s and the Dragons were spot on! Oh, and I don't have any friends that have had the PRO fail either. :director:

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
I had some 800 engines that had pistons that would crack on the intake side. Got them covered by warranty every time. After the warranty came off....
Same engine, same cylinders, same part number, BETTER FUEL....never cracked again. The next year the deto sensor came out?????????
Can the manufacters keep up with the emisions and fuel quality(and factor the rider putting in 3 week old fuel) with no problems...NO! IMO

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
I would like to leave a note about 800r engines,I have four 08 summits,one has had three engine repairs,two short blocks and one of which i paid for myself.One of the other ones had apiston failure at 352 miles in the back country of Sonora Pass,it made it to the trailer on its own.New engine 3weeks later,knoock sensor went off all the time on thre of them.Now number four has abad cylinder on pto side 2150 miles,dealer has no short blocks and Ski-doo will not give him a release date on it,Ski-doo also has pistons on back order asof 4/14/11.Maybe a class action suit is in order for the 08 owners.But the thing is my dealer said no one forced me to buy them,He is correct on that fact.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
OMG a motor went down. Call Omama

This forum has become nothing but a playground of cry babies.

I guess nobody around here experienced the days of when dirt bikes and snowmobiles didn't come with waranties.

Premium Features