• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris clutch change over

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Could offset by selling your Cat clutch, seems someone is always looking for one on here.

LOL, there ya go.

Babbits online $397.53 uncalibrated
And then put the old weights and spring in? maybe... but lets assume that 70% of the time one would need to replace the weights and sacked out spring. Then throw in shipping.

Clutch $400 (oops, $397.53, sheesh!)
Shipping $30 (ish from UPS)
Weights $60 (ish) maybe shipping on top of them??
Spring $20 (ish) shipping??

(ish: means about)

I can tell this is going no where. This thread has turned from answering a guy's question to a meaningful discussion of "how many trees are in the forest" type of relevancy.

Prediction, this thread will continue on about the "trees"...... LOL

Last edited:

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
i applaude fasttrax/union bay for trying to come up with something for us when cat wont.

BUT....

the pricing seems like alot.

not bad mouthing fasttrax just showing them the consumers point of view.

one question i do have is... are these two clutches (p85 and the 3 tower cat) the same diameter????

i ask this wondering if the poo clutch is smaller in diameter will you lose some top end/full shift/overdrive ratios.

will fasttrax machine someones p85 if they own one? and offer the bolt, washer, alignment bar and puller as and accessory item kit??? if so how much???? ski

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
i applaude fasttrax/union bay for trying to come up with something for us when cat wont.

BUT....

the pricing seems like alot.

not bad mouthing fasttrax just showing them the consumers point of view.

one question i do have is... are these two clutches (p85 and the 3 tower cat) the same diameter????

i ask this wondering if the poo clutch is smaller in diameter will you lose some top end/full shift/overdrive ratios.

will fasttrax machine someones p85 if they own one? and offer the bolt, washer, alignment bar and puller as and accessory item kit??? if so how much???? ski

You Bet-happy to set up a clutch you supply, as long as: it is NEW! it is pointless to put all this effort and coin into a hashed out clutch--if you want best bang for the buck, start with a new clutch and stay on top of the maintanence! AND, it has to be a CFI clutch-the older style clutches are made for a smaller crank dia and do not leave enough meat after the machining to have faith in!

Yes it is expensive, in part because these(clutches, bolts, puller, alignment bar) are custom made --we are building this stuff-not buying it from China and re-selling it. We are putting a ton of time and effort into each clutch to produce taper surface finishes comparable to or better than OEM so there are absolutely no fretting or runout issues. If you've ever seen some of the re-tapered clutches out there, you'll know what I mean!

We are using new clutches and they aren't cheap!

Yes, there is a diameter difference although we have seen zero issues from it-the ratios work out very well. The older sleds with taller gearing are considering gearing down a bit to obtain a bit more shift and the folks with the newer (lower geared) models are considering gearing up a tad-there will be a happy middle of the road gear ratio found.

If you send us a new clutch, the cost for machining, balancing, setting up/machining for the b.s.c. and supplying the bolt assy, puller and alignment bar/shim kit will be $380.00.

I'm not going to argue to convince anyone of the value-the guys that have had serious durability problems with the OEM Cat primary will see the value on their own. The performance gains have been a side bonus-longevity was the intent here.

Great questions-thank you!

Curt

Feb 10, 2010
Food for thought
You can buy a pipe, can, turbo or whatever
You can then make all of the power in the world
but if your clutch is junk then all of that new found power is worthless
We all know that the Polaris clutch is a far superior clutch when compared to the cat clutch.
I am going riding this afternoon I will let you know how this current stock cam arm setup works out, again.
You guys also have to remember that Fastrax has already done all of the measurements for a very precise and correctly aligned clutch setup, in my mind this makes the kit more than worth it.
I currently have a handful of BACKUP tour sleds showing 19,xxx miles on the factory Polaris clutch, the only wear items have been cam arm bushings, every now and then a roller will stick.
I understand that my tour sleds are 550 fans, but I have never seen a mountain sled clutch make it for than 5,xxx miles, my spider broke on my 2010 at 250 miles, the moveable sheave bushing is as loose as can be at 715 miles.
Just my crazy thoughts

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
I get around 3 years out of a set of weights 1 year on a spring 3 to 4 on rollers If I keep it clean 5 years out of bushings the present asembly 6 years with around 214hp . I think its a good op a new cfI clutch is around 450.00 weights 100.00 spring 25.00 #### labor to machine 45.00 for the taper ??? on the sheve angle the corect spring and weight whithout buying 4 or 5 sets hmmmmm ==== good job FTX

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
LOL, there ya go.

And then put the old weights and spring in? maybe... but lets assume that 70% of the time one would need to replace the weights and sacked out spring. Then throw in shipping.

Clutch $400 (oops, $397.53, sheesh!)
Shipping $30 (ish from UPS)
Weights $60 (ish) maybe shipping on top of them??
Spring $20 (ish) shipping??

(ish: means about)

I can tell this is going no where. This thread has turned from answering a guy's question to a meaningful discussion of "how many trees are in the forest" type of relevancy.

Prediction, this thread will continue on about the "trees"...... LOL

to be fair, the fasttrax set up will require the purchase of the springs and weights too. plus their will be a learning curve and no databse to gather info for set ups for any mods, or elevations until more set ups get on the snow, and the data provided by those willing to share.

the avg guy with no tuning experience needs to know this is not a full bolt on and go, and the set up is going to work for what they have. they will need to test and adjust for rpm and track speed. i am sure fasttrax and the testers will be glad to help out down the road. but we are getting in on the ground floor here and their will be some changes needing to be made.

i really hope this works out. the theory is there, the polaris clutch is at least serviceable. and it appears to be more durable as well. and as fasttrax stated, the performance gains are just icing on the cake. losing 3 pounds of rotating mass, should help these sleds rev faster and pull harder cause you can throw more weight in the arms of the clutch.

sending a pm to fasttrax. ski

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
I absolutely agree, as with any "mod" there has to be some sort of knowledge either already there( or quickly absorbed and learned) on the end users part. I've yet to see any significant power transmission related products in this industry that worked with exactly the same calibration set up for everyone-it just doesn't happen. Heck, even the OEMs can't (or won't?) supply solid clutching info that works for everyone!!

Curt

Last edited:

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Fair enough.
At the end of the day..... value it in the eye of the beholder...... and for everyone else........ "these are not the droids you are looking for...... move along"

Cheers!

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
So, just to be clear.
The $880 does or does not include a ready to bolt on and ride setup?
Do I have to buy a spring and weights on top of the $880?

Great info, thanks all.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
So, to answer the questions: In the kit we are supplying a NEW CFI P85 primary, custom machined for the M8 both in taper and belt to sheave areas, then it is balanced and assembled. We also supply a custom primary bolt and step washer, alignment bar and a custom puller. The kit sells for $880.00

We can also supply calibration components at comparable prices to anyone else if you would like.
it appears you will still need to buy weights and springs for your application, on top of the 880. ski

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Cost....it is what it is!!! this sport is not cheap and I pick my sport and spend that money wisely. I will watch this thread and see how the clutch performs in the long run but will seriously consider this option when my clutch on my 09 M8 craps out. Heck I've already spent 340 on the secondary for the RKT kit and more on shift assists, springs helixes etc. Spent a grand on a Kmod suspension and probably 300 more on venting etc. If you are a performance minded individual then it is going to cost period. These aftermarket guys can't be expected to do it for nothing and I am very thankfull they are doing it at all. Now I expect a 10% discount for the positive defense of these aftermarket folks.... what do you think Fastrax???:face-icon-small-hap

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Correct-$ 880.00 NOT calibrated.

$999.00 calibrated with oem weights/spring. we have 3 solid general calibration combos from 4000' up to 11,000' that will satisfy most and are currently working on some aftermarket combos to see whats left performance wise (mds, heel clickers etc).

If you aren't a tinkerer, stay away from the adjustable stuff-its that simple--you have to be willing to tinker and learn to optimize the performance from the adjustable weights.

Desperado-good points, thank you for your input! we'll talk when you are ready:face-icon-small-win

Guys, don't forget the fact that we are supplying all of the custom tools and hardware you need-consider the fact that a good quality common mass produced clutch puller will cost you $60.00......Just imagine what it costs to build custom pullers at lower than mass production volumes! Same with our alignment bar and primary bolt assembly-we can't buy this stuff from WPS or anywhere else for that matter! So. we have to custom build it all.

Its not just the cost of machining the clutch here my friends....

M

m7ryder

Sep 26, 2009
Curt with FTX

Can you or have you got one of these clutches to fit on a m7?

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Thank you Rotax-

We will need to know the year of the sled(or engine, if its a custom motor swap) to set up and machine the clutch for proper alignment--there are a bunch of variations over the years, so this is very important...no guessing at years please!

Curt

Premium Features