• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'05 RMK 700 Tach reading wrong

M
Feb 21, 2009
Went riding today and I jumped on my wife's '05 RMK 700 for a bit and I noticed that the tach is reading all wrong. Says it ideling at 700 RPM but it's ideling normal (higher than that), and it reads 5000 RPM full throttle. I know its reading wrong because it flat hauls butt full throttle, if it was only pulling 5000 RPM it wouldn't get out of its own way. What would make it read low like that?

M
Feb 21, 2009
Have seen moisture get inside and cause similar issues.

Inside the tachometer itself? Or the RPM sensor where ever that is located? I wouldn't think that it got moisture anywhere, first ride for that sled this year and it was stored in a warm shop in a dry climate. Only a couple of hours into the ride is when I noticed it.

M
Feb 21, 2009
TTT, tach now sits at 0 till you hammer it and then it might get to 1000 RPM then falls back to 0 when you let off. Is the tach junk or is there a possibility that whatever sends the signal to the tach for RPM has failed?

S
Nov 26, 2007
ND
tach

The only thing that sends signal to the tach is the electricity coming off of the stator, so if your sled is running you should be getting alternating current off of that. My guess is your tach is shot, it is a 6 pulse I believe if its an edge chassis so you can try another tach or if you have an autometer tach laying around you can set it to 6 pulse and see what that reads.

M
Feb 21, 2009
The only thing that sends signal to the tach is the electricity coming off of the stator, so if your sled is running you should be getting alternating current off of that. My guess is your tach is shot, it is a 6 pulse I believe if its an edge chassis so you can try another tach or if you have an autometer tach laying around you can set it to 6 pulse and see what that reads.

Had the same idea today, swapped it out with another off of the same type of sled and it worked fine=Tach shot. I really want to take it apart and figure out what went wrong internally, but I've got every screw out of it and it is still sealed tight. Must be glued together from that point on. Thanks for the help, I'll order one up.

Premium Features