• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why do a y-can on a m1000, when a stock 2010 m8 is just as capable and more reliable.

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
Staying in your comfort level.

Coming from someone that has ridden both sleds, I would say both have their benefits. The better half of people that sled don't even maintain their clutches properly, let alone stay on top of a fuel controller or risk damage to their engine by adding performance modifications. Not intending to speak ill of them.

The M1000 is a good sled out of the box and there are many people that are content keeping it that way...stock. There are those who wish to just put a can on them which really doesn't add any performance gain short of weight loss. Then there are those who wish to ride modified M1000 and thats fine as well, although usually its not someone that is new to sledding. The likely are experienced on working on sleds or adjusting a fuel controller.

The 2010 M8 on the other hand is a great out of the box sled that performs with semi modified M1000s. There will be those who only want to save a bit of weight, do some venting, maybe an intake. Even though I own an 2010 M8 I can't say that I'm smoking the m1000s but the 2010 M8 is defiantly the closest thing to it on the mountain.

Everyone is comfortable with modifications at different levels and I don't think they should be criticized for it. Based on my experience most people draw the line on modifications when they start to require a fuel controller.
I can't say I understand the logic of adding just a y-pipe when the can is far more practical but I can certainly see the logic in not putting on a full pipe setup if it requires a controller unless you are familiar with them and feel comfortable doing so.:face-icon-small-coo

Saddle sore

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Colbert WA
428PONY is a *** don't listen to him. : ) He is right I would bet money on his sled's any day of the week. They always rip.

V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
thank you wyoboy! i hate seein people half *** it. I have an 09 m1k and as far as "engine mods" i only have a speedwerx tunnel dump and cpc torsional secondary. I wanted to get rid of the bog and get the clutching right. I'm 265 so for me, i love the 1000. I see posts all the time of people talking about half *** pipe set ups. If you are going to do a can and y pipe and cant afford to get the pipe, fuel box, and egts, then dont waste your time. For me personally, if i was gonna go beyond the tunnel dump, i want to go all out (y pipe, pipe, egts, box) and for me its just not worth it. I love riding my sled as it sits, i'm gonna ride it another season and get it to 2500 to 3000 then find something newer to turbo. i love the excuse "i couldnt afford to do the rest." there are tons of things i want and cant afford BUT if i am gonna do somethin, i'm gonna save up and do it right. I feel like that is what you are saying and i completely agree!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Year before last My wife had an 08 M1000, Y, intake, can & weight loss.
people that rode that sled consistently said they were amazed at how well it did.

It's not about money, cause I waste ALL of it on our sleds... it's about simplicity. I know some of you guys have had pull & go piped setups... but with the 1000 that has not been my experience by a long shot. I think people put all to much emphasis on the pipe side of mods.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
When did the m1000 become undependable? I ride with nine of them and they are all pull and go. One is stock, all the others are piped and ported in every way imaginable. The 07 lost his crank in three hundred miles due to bad install. He ported it while it was apart and it has ripped since. We have had one tow home due to a cracked secondary, a few clutch repairs, but less than any other sled I have ever been on.

Last year we were looking at miles and cumulatively have over 15,000 miles with only the one engine issue. Oh, i did push my knee pad screw into the tank on a nasty landing.

Just my experience, so what problems, other than self inflicted are so bad?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Some are pull and go some are not, When I say pull and go it means setting it up and never adjusting. On my 07 m1000 I put the pipe on only (it had a m7 intake cone) and ran it hard (55-60mph track speed at 6k) it out performed every pipe 08-07 I went up against and I was the heaviest, some might have been due to technical skill. But after 800mile and some deep 4ft WA/ID wet powder I burned it down bad. Never had a clue what I was doing for sure but it worked great for a while. Then on my 09 I ran it stock, with a can, then y-can, then full pipe, then bdx intake, then bdx oil delete. Everything helped and made more power. But when I went to the y-can one day it was fine but felt like there was no more power than with a can. So I built a F/P reg and next ride my egts went way up, mind you I blew it up once right when my egts hit 1300. Well with the y-can I hit 1299 and lifted. I went up to 51-52psi to get the temps down and once I added the fuel the thing pulled the hill better, so in my opinion the y-can made no difference without the fuel. But then the next ride in a different location but around the same altitude I had to pull fuel because it was to fat. Same results with the pipe and other mods, I didn't get much time to work with the PC but it seems to be way more consistent than the bd box, although I like the on the hill tuning you can do with the bd box, PC need to make a plug in adaptor or app for phones so you can link up and make changes on the hill w/o having to bring a laptop.
I know it works for some of you but adding more than a can to a M1000 is a risk and must be setup right to run right. For you guys that have the sleds that beat everything else and know how to tune, you don't need more and what works, works, enough said.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
Gotta say though... if you don't want to dick with ANYTHING... the new M8 kills it. And is closer to my sled than I'd like it to be!!! :D

Thats where I was. My budget allowed a m7 w/ a 800BB, a lightly modded m8/m1000, or a screamin deal on a 2010 m8. All these sleds I think would have been in the same ball park as each other. This thread helped me make my decision.....
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214739

I am not an experienced tuner and I "commute" to the mts 1-3x /yr and don't wanna spend my trips learning how to dialing in my machine....I WANNA RIDE!

So I shopped and shopped and found the deal i needed for the 2010(stole a little money from the wife:face-icon-small-ton) I am hoping it will sufice.:face-icon-small-coo

If I lived out there, I would build a sled that was higher performance/maintenence and build my skills, (both riding and in tuning) but I don't so I did what I did.

I ride next to a m1000 w/ the y, can, and a fuel pressure reg, vforce reeds too i think. Good machine, and he did it over time. spent 2 yrs with just a can and it was a good machine then too. He says the y made a noticeable enough difference that he is glad he did it.

I think there are a lot of different options that all vary based on tuning ability, budget, desire to tune and ambition. Wyoboy, I think you make some good points but you did kinda start out like they guy in the bar who is just lookin to start somethin.....not all bad b/c that guy is usually fun to watch.....:face-icon-small-win

To each his own and here's to hopin the 2010 m8 is everything I dreamed it would be....:cheer2:

D
Nov 20, 2005
i have the 09 m1000 std w/153 track . i put the slp y pipe,pipe,can,air box, pc 3 and the slp clutch kit on it :face-icon-small-hap and this sled is a handful... i am so happy with it. and it is a pull and go.
the only thing u have to do is down load the fuel mapping to the power commander and if u dont know how to do it , slp will walk u through it.
according to slp the m1000 is starving for air and they said with this set up the results are : 22 more hp , 133 pounds of torque ,16 pounds lighter in essence the sled has 192 hp w/133 pounds of torque.
now they said if u did the same thing with the m8 it would only add 10 hp so imo its not worth it .

D
Nov 20, 2005
i saw burandt and some guys testing the m1000 on utube they showed the stock,stage1 (y pipe and can) stage 2 which is full exhaust which is what i have and stage 3 which is the turbo. just type in burandt m1000 testing and look around .i think u can even just type in burandt and u will find the test.. they show all four sleds from start to finish racing up a hill and the stage 2 is quite a difference from the other 2 . and the turbo does blow the stage 2 away naturally..

D
Nov 20, 2005
i do have a question to wyoboy or anyone who knows', I see wyoboy has a bdbox ,bdx intake ,shift assit and egts on his sled what do these mods do?

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
omg

omg the battle for m8 vs m1000 is still going on?

put me on either of them and i bet i beat most peoples marks up the hill.

no matter what mods.

(hehe im only 130 pounds)

i will say one thing, you cant get a m1000 in 153.

which to me is the perfect length for what i do. and if im in super deep powder going up a mountain i would seriously hope a m1000 with 162 inch track would be able to high mark me.....

other then that im lighter, land smother and the throttle response of the new m8 is insane!

there both badass but to compair them is the stupedest thing.

lets see here

a honda cbr 999 is so much faster then the 600rr...riiiight. but the 600 can turn tighter turns.. or.. or... or...

get on your sleds and ripppem,

i know in alaska if your in the backcountry 20 miles back the last thing you want is any tunning issues. so the m8 is way more common.

get what im saying??? everyone can only efford what they can efford. for me its the 200$ a month and if it breaks bring it back!!! i can efford 200$ but not a suprise blown motor.

plus whichever sled you endup picking is going to be the best one here on snowest the day after...

-Aksnopro

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
The 2010 M8 is just plain fun to ride. The throttle is snappy and responsive. Has great track speed with the 153. Granted I ride 0-4000ft and get to enjoy the 160hp it has stock.

I would not trade mine for M1000 of any year. Even though it would most likely beat mine up the hill.

Jason

D
Nov 26, 2007
hayden Idaho
i am 400 miles from the nearest dealer of any brand. I ride from 0- 6000 feet and cover that in about 2 hours. We do not have any trails here and it is all cross country up hill rideing with an average snow fall of over350 inches. I tried to read every post on here just to learn stuff.
350 inches of snowfall?? where the He LL do you live??:face-icon-small-sho

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Dry Powder,

BD box = Boondocker box. Used to add and subtract fuel from fuel maps.

BDX intake= Black Diamond Extreme intake, replaces stock air plenum which can be removed from hood for wieght loss. It is a large screen box in the nose of the sled which can deliver a higher volume of air in deep snow conditions with the included vent kit.

Shift Assist= some use a bearing, some use a poly washer behind the clutch spring to prevent binding.

EGT's= exhaust gas temp probes, used to monitor exhaust temp. to indicate changes needed in fuel delivery. Also alerts you of high temp near 1300 to prevent burndown.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I was picking a fight, a little bit, although I am not the one that usually does. I am more on the side of being informative. I think there are many that don't understand the big picture and to some this will help. I will also help anyone I can that wants to mod a little at a time on a m1000. I love the 1000 and would never go back. Just trying to inform people is all.

I'm not the guy in the bar picking fights, just the guy finishing them.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
300 plus reads, must still be an issue people have interest in.

As for the m-1000 reliability, no offense wyo, but it looks to me like you could have taken out an m-8 with the mods you were playing with.

I consider them both to be awesome for reliability, have read several times recently that the m-10 is unreliable, still curios to see some examples that weren't self inflicted. Belts have been an issue for some, but plenty of m-8's and an occasional xp have been known to carry the same issue.

I'm not looking to buy or sell anything here, just looking for some issues that may be headed my way that I am unaware of. As of now, my m-1000 has been the most pull and go sled I have ever ridden. Thanks Kevin at MMSPORTS.

Premium Features