• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 diamond drive

A
Oct 8, 2009
eagle river, AK
So i took my dd out today to open it up and flush it and do an inspection and found that the center bearing had the cage come off but all the ball bearings were still in it! Man did I get lucky! Put it back togeather with the new double wide bearing, Hope this one lasts :face-icon-small-dis

D

dragon12

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I think this issue is becoming more and more common. I had exaclty the same thing going on in my diamond drive and am in the process of putting it back together. Hopefully the new bearings last more than 450 miles.

Here is a picture of the shrapnel floating around in mine

2010-10-23142621.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
S
Feb 21, 2009
sad

Glad you got it before it blew up. Pretty sad they build a 1200.00 dd and can't fix the 10.00 bearing problem over the years..

Last edited:
W
Jan 7, 2008
Any issues getting the cover on with the double row bearing?

Shouldnt be any problem w/ the bearing, have heard sometimes the cover is hard to get tight, if this is the case do not try pull it tight with the screws, they will strip. Loosen the 16mm bolt on the brake side. this should make it easier to put the cover on.

C

Crusty82

Jan 27, 2010
I'm about to change my stock broken bearing with either 4203 or 5203. Why does it help to loosen the 16mm bolt. Want it just put pressure back on when you tighten it? What moves when you loosen it?

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
Where is the best place to get this bearing. I haven't pulled my diamond drive yet, but I would just rather replace it even if its not bad yet....

C

Crusty82

Jan 27, 2010
Without knowing what happens if you loosen the 16mm bolt on the other side. I would think it was a bad idea to use the 5203 without taking 1,5mm of the shoulder.
Is it any reason why people don`t use the 4203 that is 16mm thick instead of 17,5mm?
I would think another good replacement was 7203 that is 12mm thick and therefore a direct replacement for the 6203.
The 7203 is an angular contact bearing.

D

dragon12

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I used a 4203-2rs bearing in my diamond drive but haven't put it all back together yet as I am waiting on some seals. The 4203-2rs is the same width as the original bearing and spacer. They are relatively hard to find but I called Impact Bearing (do a google search) and talked to Scott. He said he had about 30 in stock. The brand is NBR. Not sure about quality but they are around $23 each and they require a $50 minumum order.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Bearing replacment

OK well I have see a few of these go but not an epidemic like the clutch springs.So I just figured it was a fluke that some had problems and some did not. Well I was talking to a buddy that has a rental business and rents Cats he got a recall letter from cat on the bearing on all of his 2010. So I did some research and it must have only been to commercial accounts "rental" because joe consumer did not get this letter.

So with this information it tells me that Cat has found this to be a definite defect and you must change it out. They will probable not do a consumer recall because they will last for most untill warranty expires Way not cool.

So I would recomend that you replace all of them on all of your DD on the 07 and 08 get the gasket kit and then the bearing will fit. I will get part # later

T

troyburt

Mar 29, 2010
Newfoundland
i replaced mine. everything looked good.

still think its a little "cu*tish" on cat's part if you ask me!
(Pardon my French)

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
OK well I have see a few of these go but not an epidemic like the clutch springs.So I just figured it was a fluke that some had problems and some did not. Well I was talking to a buddy that has a rental business and rents Cats he got a recall letter from cat on the bearing on all of his 2010. So I did some research and it must have only been to commercial accounts "rental" because joe consumer did not get this letter.

So with this information it tells me that Cat has found this to be a definite defect and you must change it out. They will probable not do a consumer recall because they will last for most untill warranty expires Way not cool.

So I would recomend that you replace all of them on all of your DD on the 07 and 08 get the gasket kit and then the bearing will fit. I will get part # later

So, I wonder what Cat is doing for the 'fix' for these commercial accounts?

C

Crusty82

Jan 27, 2010
After taking the DD out of the sled i think i understand the problem.

What I notice about mine is that when you put it back togheter on the workbench with the stock bearing, everything seems okay.

But when you put the DD back in the sled and tighten the 16mm bolt from the others side, you will put pressure on the bearing.

This is also why it`s hard to get the cover all the way inn without loosening the 16mm bolt.

So the way I see it, it`s 2 problems: poor quality bearing and 1mm to long driveshaft.

So removing the stock one and spacer and repleace it with the 5203 seems like a bad idea. You will put even more sidepressure on the 5203 that is 1,5mm thicker than the stock with spacer.
But maybe it can handle it.

The best would be to take out the driveshaft an take off just enough to remove the sidepressure on the bearing.

Correct me if I`m wrong.
Haven`t ordered the bearing yet, but i think I`m going for the 4203, and ride with my fingers crossed:)

T

troyburt

Mar 29, 2010
Newfoundland
i have read every article on here, HCS, BC Rebels and other sites. there are alot of people going with the 5203 bearing. now i'm not saying your wrong at all but the way i see it. this has been a problem since the 09 year sled's. so this topic has been out there for people to try and think of better ways on doing it for going on 3 year's now. i went with the 5203 bearing. everyone says get the 5203 and put it in there and they are some reputable people that are a hell of alot smarter at this then I am. not saying your not smart or your idea is bad but if you have this many people saying go with "X" bearing to fix your problem, i would listen to them.

this problem is alot more then the dilema of what can sounds best on a M8, and has drawed alot of attention from some smart people when it comes to a CAT. its had 2 full winters to come up with the best solution and people are saying 5203.

correct me if i am wrong but thats my $.02

C

Crusty82

Jan 27, 2010
I see what you meen, and I`m not smart at all, espceally not when it comes to bearings.
But in my case I already have 1mm to little space for the stock bearing. So I`f i put on the 5203 without doing anything else, I would have 2,5mm short of space.

I agree that the 5203 is the best choice it it fits or you make it fith.

I only say this so maybe people can convince I`m wrong or right so I can make the best choice.:)

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
I just put the 5203 bearing in two 2010 M8's. This is the bearing the dealer recommended that use. Everyting fit perfect, no problems.

Premium Features