• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 800 Edge change Pistons Or Not??????

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
I'm getting ready to put my 02 Edge 800 back together after losing a magside
rod bearing. The pistons show very little blowby and look pretty good. They do have some minor cold seizure scratches.(1500miles) So I'm debating if I should replace or run them? I also was wondering if I had warning signs about my motor before it went. About 3 rides before it went I had to change my cold starting procedure.(Add throttle and choke to start it) I use to just choke it for a few seconds then let it idle. Also it started to idle higher than it use to then drop off to low. I don't know if these changes mean anything it just seems odd that things started to happen before it went. I will check for air leaks when I put it back together. It seems if it was running to lean and this was the cause for rod bearing failure, I would see damage to other parts(cylinders,pistons ect) Thanks for any thoughts!

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Replace them. Check your carbs and clean them. What you describe is a lean condition. Probably just some crap in your pilot jets, or need adjusted.

That shouldn't cause your rod bearing to fail though.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
I was under the impression that new rings were more important than new pistons. If you are installing new or reniced cylinders then you should use new pistons. But if you are using the same old cylinders, the pistons are already broken in for the existing cylinder scratches. If you have to add throttle to start it, your fuel pump may need rebuilding. Or at least taken apart and flip the nickel sized diaphragms so that the outer smooth side is now in contact with the metal.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
I was under the impression that new rings were more important than new pistons. If you are installing new or reniced cylinders then you should use new pistons. But if you are using the same old cylinders, the pistons are already broken in for the existing cylinder scratches. If you have to add throttle to start it, your fuel pump may need rebuilding. Or at least taken apart and flip the nickel sized diaphragms so that the outer smooth side is now in contact with the metal.

Until your fatigued piston skirt breaks and takes out the cylinder, case, and crank. Bottom line if they are scuffed, replace them.
If you have scratches in a Nicasil cylinder it needs renicked. There should be no evidence of piston scoring on the Nicasil.

Fuel pump isn't going to affect starting unless its so bad it isn't pumping at all. The fuel is already in the fuel bowl when time to start. The pump doesn't come into play at that point.

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Nickelsil-Looks great I think I'll justs do a very light hone to take glaze off. I was looking on Babbits for a Piston set and they listed them for $75 each, this seems alot cheaper than what I paid the last time. I just hope after I put another $400 in to this motor it doesn't shellout again!!!

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
When the engine has not been running for a week or so, and you are then doing a cold start, the number of pulls is the single most important indicator for whether you need to rebuild the fuel pump. The gas tends to evaporate from the carburetor, when the engine has not been run for awhile. With no gas in the float bowl and a weak fuel pump, it then may take 20 pulls to start a cold engine that should take no more than 2 pulls. Some people attempt to compensate for the weak fuel pump by giving it 1/2 throttle while pull starting it.

Premium Features