• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Ski Poll for M sleds with more options

Best M skis

• Total voters

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Not looking for any opinions on other sleds. M-SERIES ONLY! I have had different sleds with different skis. I bought a 09 M8 this year and after my first big trip with it I decided I hate the skis. Since I live in MN I ride about 50/50 trails and boondocking, so I need a ski that can do both. If you guys are running something not listed let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
i voted for the simmons 2 just to keep the poll even (and I run them), but for your situation I would try and get a pair of outlaws. :)

S
Feb 12, 2008
Soap Lake, WA
Simmons but you may find those a little sticky to steer. I like em.08 M8 162
I have a set of Powder pros they are great in powder and near impossible in any crust or windblown. I don't think they are an all around ski.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
It comes to personal preference...

My choice of ski on the M-series is MODS. Second place: tie between SLP SLT and USI Triple Threats. Third place: tie between Simmons and Slydog Powderhounds. C&A Outlaw XT's are heavy, and steer heavy. We have two M's in the household, and have bought all of the skis listed above - Only the MODS and USI Triple Threats are remaining - sold off the rest.
As a side note, I've not tried the gen II (wide) Simmons, or the Powder Pros - I think the Simmons are too damn heavy. On the other hand, lots of guys run Powder Pros and like them a bunch... good luck with your decision.

S
Feb 12, 2008
Soap Lake, WA
My choice of ski on the M-series is MODS. Second place: tie between SLP SLT and USI Triple Threats. Third place: tie between Simmons and Slydog Powderhounds. C&A Outlaw XT's are heavy, and steer heavy. We have two M's in the household, and have bought all of the skis listed above - Only the MODS and USI Triple Threats are remaining - sold off the rest.
As a side note, I've not tried the gen II (wide) Simmons, or the Powder Pros - I think the Simmons are too damn heavy. On the other hand, lots of guys run Powder Pros and like them a bunch... good luck with your decision.

MODS who makes those? They are not on the poll.

S

Samurai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
CALGARY
Not looking for any opinions on other sleds. M-SERIES ONLY! I have had different sleds with different skis. I bought a 09 M8 this year and after my first big trip with it I decided I hate the skis. Since I live in MN I ride about 50/50 trails and boondocking, so I need a ski that can do both. If you guys are running something not listed let me know.

Ski selection is very much influenced by the way the sled is set-up suspension wise. Couple turns of a shock collar , a couple pumps of air , a adjustment here and there all influence selection.Rider style and rider body size make a difference.
If you ever see the pimple faced kid who sets up your new sled at most A/C dealers. If you have the first thing that pops into your head is ---When I get home I'am checking the Ski- Toe alignment.

We have a rider in the family who has tryed simmons and slp. She has gone back to stock skis with ohlins shocks all around. So many variables and combinations, sadly it costs alot of money to find your personel sweet spot.

F
Apr 25, 2008
Ski selection is very much influenced by the way the sled is set-up suspension wise. Couple turns of a shock collar , a couple pumps of air , a adjustment here and there all influence selection.Rider style and rider body size make a difference.
If you ever see the pimple faced kid who sets up your new sled at most A/C dealers. If you have the first thing that pops into your head is ---When I get home I'am checking the Ski- Toe alignment.

We have a rider in the family who has tryed simmons and slp. She has gone back to stock skis with ohlins shocks all around. So many variables and combinations, sadly it costs alot of money to find your personel sweet spot.

I also have tried the simmons skis. I found way too much ski pressure to the point of breaking steering assembly(spring conditions). I have since just went back to the stock skis.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Simmons - dangerous!, and push in the POW
SLP - dart on the trails
SlyDogs - dont steer for crap in the POW

USI Triple Threat - Best ski for me, but you need to get both the stage 1 and stage 3 fins, the stage 3 will be hard to steer when the snow is setup and a dream to steer in the deep POW....use the stage 1 fins when the snow sucks:beer;

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I am with Samurai...that being said I have tried various suspension set ups with both stock M skis and USI Project X 301's on an M7 and my current M8. In both cases I prefer the USI PX's. I would love to try them all, but am short on time and $$.

USI dropped the PX's so I'll take Hatcher's recommendation for my next experiment.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
I rode one last week set up the same as mine with Powder Pro's on it and it seemed alot better than mine. Didn't plow in the corners and more control in the deep stuff. Just looking for more ideas. Thanks.

S

Samurai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
CALGARY

You running Floats or Coil overs?
Coil overs handle a variety of situations better than the floats, especially if you use a aftermarket titanium spring.
You have checked your ski alignment?
If you say you hate the skis. I'am pretty sure you have issues that skis alone wont cure, maybe make better but not get you to ultimate result.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Zero Pro's. I will double check the ski alignment but I didn't like the stock skis on my 06 M7 either. I don't think it's an alignment issue...I think the stock skis just suck! I know when I went from stock skis to Powder Pros on my old 1M it made a huge difference on trail and off. I'm sure any of these suggestions are better than stock.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I've got powder pros, and would have been better off keeping my money and my stockers, as the performance is about the same. They both suck on the road, the slp are much harder to turn under slow speeds when the snow is firmer, and in the powder they are equal.

HELLCAT7

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Central Colorado
Another vote for usi. I got 200 miles on a set of powder pros and i cant hardly stand them. I cant pinpoint what i dont like- they just dont feel good. Thank god i kept the usi's to put back on. Anybody want a fairly new set of powder pros cheap???

Premium Features