• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountian max 600

scoop

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
idaho
I just picked up a 97mm 600 for my daughter. She is moving up from a indy trail 488 fan. I have not been around a yamaha much, so any help would be great...The skis are steal and the skins on one ski is a little rough. I was wondering if a set of plastic ski's from a newer yamaha would be a direct replacement, and a good idea? Also was wondering about the track. Deeper lug??? If so can I do this w/o a drop and roll, and what pitch should i be looking for. I want to set her up so she can be able to start to get off the trail more and learn to boondock and enjoy some off trail riding. thanks.......

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Yes with out a doubt get a new set of skis. Any of the newer yamaha oem mountain skis will fit with the correct hardware.

The track is the old school 2.52 pitch and I think that sled came with 7 tooth drivers from the factory so you should be able to put a 2" under it with no mods. Eric

M
Nov 26, 2007
I have read that those year (97-98-99) had a weak steering post.

On www.totallyamaha.com some guys are taking a peice of metal tubing, and driving that down the center of the stock steering post.

Might be something to look into.

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
They had the weak steering post and the weak driveshaft. I bought the steering post kit from MPI. It is easy to make yourself though. Just find a piece of pipe that fits inside the post (as tight as possible). There is a weld on the inside of the post. Take a grinder and notch the pipe to slide past the weld and drive it in as far as it will go. Cut off extra and it is done.

As for the driveshaft, replace it before it brakes. When mine went, it took the shaft, drivers, chaincase, bearings, seals, chain, gears, etc.. The worst part is we were 40 miles from the truck on the first day of a trip. The only good thing is that I was 20 feet from a trail and not in some ravine.LOL It ruined the trip.

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
If you are interested, I have a set of plastics skis off of my 99 Mtn Max. PM me and maybe we can work something out. I also have spare trailing arms when you need them.LOL

Lance

M
Nov 26, 2007
If she has a problem throwing the sled around. You can take off the swaybar link on one trailing arm.

It might be more tippy on the trails with out the swaybar, you can adjust the shock setting to a stiffer setting to overcome some of the handling

If that works, you can then remove the swaybar and both links.

scoop

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
idaho
600 mm

hey thanks for the info. My daughter and I will have to get busy working on this sled..........

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
Yes with out a doubt get a new set of skis. Any of the newer yamaha oem mountain skis will fit with the correct hardware.

The track is the old school 2.52 pitch and I think that sled came with 7 tooth drivers from the factory so you should be able to put a 2" under it with no mods. Eric

Yes get newer skies. You can get some off of any of the newer MMax's after '99. Your daughter will thank you.

I am not sure on the 600 but the 700 cam with a 9 tooth driver and a 1 1/2 track. I put a 1 3/4" polaris track under mine and kept the 9 tooth drivers. If you drop to the 8 tooth you can get a 2" under it. Double check the clearance between the track and the front heat exchanger that is the worst spot.

MPI has the stearing post inserts.

shortman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
newport nebraska
Updates

Got a 97 & a 99 8 tooth drivers with 2 inch lugs and skid relocate kits in both of them that changes the track angle at the front , makes a night and day difference.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Man I have forgot many things about those old sleds. Not sure where I came up with 7 tooth drivers. lol
I do remeber the relocate kit and that did help those sleds. If I was going to change the track I would put a 2x144 under it. Much better deep snow track but still very easy to ride and turn. Eric

shortman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
newport nebraska
skid relocate

If you do a skid relocate use hartmans ! Hartmans works the best and is easy to do .MPI sucks, takes more time to do and you will have to cut the bottom of the steering gate off to put the H-ARM bolts in . If I remember correctly I went 1 tooth bigger on the top gear to keep my gear ratio the same. This is the only difference between the 2 sleds I have and the one with Hartman's handles way better . Even the wife noticed the difference.

scoop

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
idaho
600 mm

Is this a drop and roll kit? I did one on my old 99 summit, it this the simular? Or does it relocate back, and then install smaller drivers?

shortman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
newport nebraska
No its not a drop and roll. Just relocates the skid. It moves it back in the tunnel to change the approach angle of the track that way it will get up on the snow . Otherwise it will treeeeench like a bastage.

Last edited:
M

mtnmax97

Dec 24, 2007
Yakima WA
Skis

I put some polaris sidehiller 2 skis on my 600 and they worked great.
You can find used ones. They bolt right on

scoop

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
idaho
600 mm

found a 136 by 2 inch track....still need a set of plastic ski's if anyone has some cheap ones laying around collecting dust....

Last edited:
Premium Features