• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 oil tank warpage

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
RKT kit is awesome i have used it for 2 years and not i drop has leaked out very good idea from kelsey.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I'm not certain which was the cause of the warping, but after reading all this and trying the Dano aluminum insert, I ended up calipering the oil cap and it was warped.

What I did was this - I used a heat gun and put the cap gently in a vice and heated it enough that I was able to make it round. It didn't take much effort.

Now, how to keep it round. Hmm. I think Schedule 80 3" pvc pipe, about a 1/2" or so slice of it slid over the cap would work. Didn't have any handy and neither did Menards or Home Depot.

I wrapped the edge of the cap once with duct tape. Next, I put a big hose clamp around it and tightened it down pretty snug. The duct tape keeps it from wanting to move around. After 3 days of riding, cap still fits great. I was using the cap without the aluminum tank insert.

Now, I must qualify this - at the same time I also went to an SLP silencer. My guess is the under hood temps are greatly reduced but I have no way to prove this. Since I changed 2 things at the same time, I can't be certain the hose clamp is the trick but for virtually nothing I tried it and it seems to work.

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
UPDATE on USPS PRIORITY MAIL rates

$16.00 each US FUNDS - FREE shipping in UNITED STATES
(one time $4.00 additional charge for USPS PARCEL POST to CANADA)

send cashiers check, personal check, or money order to:
DAN PARCEL
316 N. GARFIELD ST.
ALGONA, IA 50511

please add 5% ($.80 per part) to the total if using PAYPAL
my PAYPAL address is dan_03rev@yahoo.com

please let me know your full name, shipping address, and sled(s) year/model with payment

*** NEED EM FAST ?? ***
USPS PRIORITY MAIL FOR ADDITIONAL CHARGE ..
( maximum 20ct. order )
$5.80 -- USPS PRIORITY MAIL in USA
$19.95 -- USPS PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL to CANADA
$23.95 -- USPS PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL anywhere overseas

thank you .. DAN

Paul27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2008
Reno, NV
Bought two from Dan.

With a little heat from my electric heat gun and a little elbow grease, the aluminum ring slipped into my 2011 HCR oil jug and fit perfect.

My 2009 M8 oil jug required some trimming on the inside seams. Shoved in a clean rag on a wire and carefully used a razor knife to trim two plastic knobs that stuck in about 1/16" inch. Then the ring fit fine.

Caps go on better. More secure.

Thanks!

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
To smooth out the seams on mine before installing the ring, I used the round handle of my ratchet wrench, heated it up with a propane torch, and then pressed it against the seams to smooth them out.

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
Bought two from Dan.

With a little heat from my electric heat gun and a little elbow grease, the aluminum ring slipped into my 2011 HCR oil jug and fit perfect.

My 2009 M8 oil jug required some trimming on the inside seams. Shoved in a clean rag on a wire and carefully used a razor knife to trim two plastic knobs that stuck in about 1/16" inch. Then the ring fit fine.

Caps go on better. More secure.

Thanks!

On some sleds a little patience is required ... alignment in the neck opening has to be spot on sometimes to get it to drop into place ... I beveled the bottom of the sleeve just for this reason .. wanted to let Cat owners to know also that a larger diameter rubber oring maybe needed for a tight seal under the lip of the sleeve .. I provide a rubber oring with a sleeve that works on sealing gaps on pretty much all Doo, Polaris, and Cat .. just take a close look at that area on Cats to be sure .. the sleeve does the job of keeping the neck perfect round so the cap goes on secure .. thanks guys

Paul27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2008
Reno, NV
To smooth out the seams on mine before installing the ring, I used the round handle of my ratchet wrench, heated it up with a propane torch, and then pressed it against the seams to smooth them out.

Wish I'd thought of that!

On my first read, I had in my head you put your torch on the plastic. Reading more carefully, it's now clear you used your torch on the ratchet handle, and not directly on the plastic bottle.

That would be safer and easier that my razor knife method.

Thanks! Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
i have the insert, was one of the first to contact dan about this issue on the cats. the heat still messed with the threads and melted them BADLY. this season i wanted a permenant fix, and was going to put new oil jugs in. but, i called Kelsey at Rk Tek, talked to him, and bought his cap for the fix.

the cap is metal and only needs to be screwed on once and you NEVER HAVE TO DEAL WITH WARPED OPENINGS, OR MELTED THREADS AGAIN!!!

the machined cap is super high quality, and has ultra sharp threads that actually recut melted threads, if you work at it slowly, making sure the cap stays level as you "work" the cap down the threads to seat on the gasket on the new cap.

both products together work well but, the metal cap is THE fix. Ski

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
I am offering a cost effective fix at $16.00 .. if your tank neck has badly damaged threads, the sleeve I make won't help fix that .. I have heard most would rather delete the tank all together if damage is too extensive .. premix it and away you go

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
update

Well I bought Dan's product right as I purchased the sled and I've been happy with no warping. However, I went to put my lid on tonight, and after about 15 tries, I still can't get that lid to go on straight. Now I'm questioning whether I ever actually had it on straight and maybe that's why the inside of my engine compartment is polka-dotted all around the oil tank?

Anyway, needless to say, I've decided Kelsey is right, taking that lid on and off all the time is a joke. I want a flip top lid!!!!!

Kelsey, can you please tell me hopefully that the Edge still has some in stock even though the M chassis is now 3 years outdated? I would love to be able to pick one up somewhere local tomorrow and then put it on tomorrow night and be ready to ride for christmas eve. Otherwise, I'm happy to buy them off your website, but I don't see them on there anywhere. Am I just missing them?

Premium Features