• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Roest Racing Skid Plate for Yamaha Nytro

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Mike, thanks. Glad you like it. I like the full length version as well, although I am finalizing the design of a shorty version .The tape idea is not a bad one. How's the weather there? My sister lives in Riverview.

graham_r

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
British Columbia
Glad to hear that you like the product. I chose not to use Rivnuts for 3 reasons.
1. They are not self aligning.
2. Often, over time Rivnuts will start to spin in the holes are installed in. Then have fun removing skid plate.
3. U nuts are very easy to replace and are just as strong as Rivnuts.

The Rivnuts that I use seem really good. They are steel and are knurled. I also use red lock tite when installing them.

I kept my U-nuts incase my rivnuts f-up.

Again awesome product. A must have for Nytros.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
I'm sure they'll work fine for you. I was actually considering using them initially but most people don't even have the means to install them.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Mike, thanks. Glad you like it. I like the full length version as well, although I am finalizing the design of a shorty version .The tape idea is not a bad one. How's the weather there? My sister lives in Riverview.

Wow...small world!

I think Riverview, like Bathurst is getting rain....but...I took the picture below off our plant site camera a couple of minutes ago. Its around 1200 feet above sea level....and voila...snow! I guess its part of the October Nor'Easter that dusted DC and NYC.

In our neck of the woods, the ground is starting to freeze up so this snow might be this years base, and even if it isn't, I would expect something is going to start to stick in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Now all I have to do is avoid testing your skidplate too early!

OTM

October30_2011.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You should have NO trouble selling them.
Your plate is awesome.
Has never caused me any grief at all and has been ROCK SOLID since the day I installed it.

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
im buying every other aftermarket part for my nytro, i may as well get me a good skid plate today!

Last edited:

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
I'm on a weight reduction quest, so can you tell me what one weighs. I would like to compare it to my old setup.

thanks

About 4 lbs. There is next to nothing protecting your engine sump and front heat exchanger so take that into consideration. A lightweight sled is useless without those 2 components.

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
:face-icon-small-ton
About 4 lbs. There is next to nothing protecting your engine sump and front heat exchanger so take that into consideration. A lightweight sled is useless without those 2 components.

ya when i opened my package up i was surprised at the heft of the plate, it was a good thing though as after i took off the plastic one for the first time i realized that i could poke through that thing with a fork. if anyone has any reservations about this product, they will be put to ease when you get it on your sled. 4 lbs? heck for me that is a few less pizzas a month!

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana

Don't misunderstand me, I have a skid plate, but its the plastic one you buy from Yamaha, that covers the OEM smaller plate.

4lbs is pretty heavy, but since you remove the OEM plastic plate to install yours, that may not be that bad. I'll let you knwo today.

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Just weighed the OEM/yamaha skid combination and it just shy of 4 lbs.
Looks like your aluminum skid plate is right on track ---Kool!!

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Don't misunderstand me, I have a skid plate, but its the plastic one you buy from Yamaha, that covers the OEM smaller plate.

4lbs is pretty heavy, but since you remove the OEM plastic plate to install yours, that may not be that bad. I'll let you knwo today.

Your plastic skid plate is probably 1/4" plastic. My skid plate is 3/16" aluminum. They are fairly comparable weight wise but mine is far superior in almost every aspect. You won't be disappointed. It is a very necessary addition to every Nytro.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Your plastic skid plate is probably 1/4" plastic. My skid plate is 3/16" aluminum. They are fairly comparable weight wise but mine is far superior in almost every aspect. You won't be disappointed. It is a very necessary addition to every Nytro.

VASTLY SUPERIOR!!

Premium Features