• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 EdgeX Exhaust pop at idle

P
Hey fellow snowester's, need a little help here. Buddy has an 01 Edge X with 375 original miles. He got it from a guy that rode it twice parked it and it sat of 7 years. He cleaned the carbs, filled with fresh gas and fired it off. Had a little pop out he exhaust every few seconds for a little while but first time he rode it it went away and machine ran great all winter. Parked it come spring and this fall went to sell it( his wife and kids decided they don't want to ride anymore so he's gonna buy a Ranger) Fired it off and this poping is back. He brought it over to me because I tinker with sleds and wheelers in my spare time. This popping sounds like backfiring so after I looked at the carbs( nice & clean )I richened up the pilot circut on the carbs and it went away till he came over to pick up the sled( of course) and it started again. Richened it up a bit more but it's still doing it. Once off Idle it runs great, but just sounds bad at idle. So he's worried about trying to sell it with this condition. I'm not sure what else it could be so any help is appreciated.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Usually its a lean pop so you are on the right track. How did you richen it up, by adding fuel or taking out air? The 01 has both an air screw and a fuel screw. What does it idle at for RPM?

sled_guy

P
Looking in the 01 Performance manual I have and it only shows the fuel screw. It say's it can be turned out up to 5 turns, I've got them turned out 4 1/2 times now. The overview talks about the pilot air jet but doesn't say anything about an air screw. Are the carbs different?? If you could enlighten me on another adjustment I'd be happy..

On edit: I don't remember the exact rpm for idle but it was right around where it should be. Also I forgot to mention what led me too a lean condition was if I gave it a slight bit of choke it goes away.

Thanks

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
The pilot air jet is right in the throat of the carbs, you'll see them easily if you pull the airbox. They flow air so as the #'s get bigger they get leaner (more air) a 2000 800 rmk has a .9 so for example if you want to go richer put in a .8 Sled_guy knows what he's talking about, if he will give you some advice listen to him more tham me. :face-icon-small-hap

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The XC carbs for 01 have the air jet not the screw, you are right. That is a LONG way out on fuel screws.

2 things to check at this point.
1 - Carb sync. It should be ok because they are set from the factory and are hard to change, but that doesn't mean they are right. :) If they are out of sync that could be what's going on.
2 - Back the fuel screws all the way out and inspect them. They have a very sharp point on them. I've seen those points break off and get stuck in the passage and then no matter how you adjust them they never change.

sled_guy

Premium Features