• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why do a y-can on a m1000, when a stock 2010 m8 is just as capable and more reliable.

S

shanny

Dec 4, 2007
Colorado
Not basic anymore!! Watch out BCIL, just upgraded to premium......Continue on.:face-icon-small-win.

BTW, Eric is building a sled with my same mods to test on the hill and try to tune that bog out. Now that's customer service!!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Wyoboy are you talking about hard pack snow drag up a hill when you keep referring to kicking everyones azz or deep powder hill climb? Two different worlds of clutching here. Or are you beating everything all the time on both snow conditions before your sled took a chit.

yeah I have a M1000 to ride hard pack, this is where I go back to me first post and at the bottom says I will sit back with my popcorn and watch everyone defend their decisions.
How many of you are running a y-can only and nothing else, and I mean nothing. people are taking this way to personal and are missing the point.

Just to be clear,

Most of what is written above is exactly the opposite of what myself and the guys we run with have experienced. Altitude must make quite a big difference...

What part are you referring too. I've been told a lot of stuff and proven a lot of things wrong, I am giving the best of my knowledge. After hearing this and that for 3 seasons and proving what I have, I'm not going to just buy into it and say your right, you may be right and everyone should listen to both sides and take it all into consideration. But as for me I say prove it. Not to start chit but just to get new accurate information that I will know as factual and not what someone told me. If you prove me wrong I will tell everyone I was wrong and update the information, my goal is to inform and help, unlike many I know that when you beat them you never see or hear from them again.

Again how many of you only have a y-can, at elevation it is less likely to have problems but you are still getting to the point of having to do some tuning. I would almost bet theres not one person that responded to this thread that has only a y-can and everything else has been left alone.

Last edited:
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Reread what I quoted, that part:face-icon-small-con

Yeah I don't want any part of the internet tough guy conflict b.s., just putting the facts of my experience out there as backed by those of Shanny and BCIL posts as well, not that they need to be backed by anyone... I own a 2010 M8 and I am saying the 1000 is better in most cases (always, climbing long pulls in the deep) lightly modded, so if you think I am in it to win or lose a hill climb and then go away or something you must be cornfused...
And seeing as my experience is opposite in the quoted post I am out to be sure that people get the facts as well, which is in fact why I posted on this. As referred to above I suspect elevation may have quite a bit to do with it.

I will say the only thing different that I can think of is the intake added to the can and Y-pipe, just like I said in my previous posts.

Hope that doesn't ruffle your feathers too much...our experiences are different.

Last edited:
S

shanny

Dec 4, 2007
Colorado
Again how many of you only have a y-can, at elevation it is less likely to have problems but you are still getting to the point of having to do some tuning. I would almost bet theres not one person that responded to this thread that has only a y-can and everything else has been left alone.

Again....1500 miles, BDX intake, y-pipe and can. Absolutely no tuning with the exception on BCIL's ECU (Thanks again Kaleb!) No lean condition here...as you can see:face-icon-small-coo

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
:mullet:
Again....1500 miles, BDX intake, y-pipe and can. Absolutely no tuning with the exception on BCIL's ECU (Thanks again Kaleb!) No lean condition here...as you can see:face-icon-small-coo

That looks familiar.

Thanks for helping to keep things factual

Dosey Wales

Lifetime Membership
Mar 10, 2009
Big Whiskey,WY
??? about m-1000 intake mods--

have o9 m-1000 ,stock head cut,speedworks y+can,w/DD LITE DRIVE,
stock pipe,all parts swain - tech coated , 57/63 gear w/all lite parts
belt issues before all this so have added all this,so am changing to diff helix +clutch springs/all black190/330
anyway thing has run fine at 8500-10500 except for belt issues no box ever, ??bd-x intake on
this as an addition are they worth change or stay stock air

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
M1000

How do the modded M1's run against the well set-up BB800 kits? It sure seems like the only mountain sled is in an M chassis in these conversations. Do any of you guys have any ridding partners with well tuned Ski-Doos? How do they compare?:face-icon-small-hap

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Reread what I quoted, that part:face-icon-small-con

Yeah I don't want any part of the internet tough guy conflict b.s., just putting the facts of my experience out there as backed by those of Shanny and BCIL posts as well, not that they need to be backed by anyone... I own a 2010 M8 and I am saying the 1000 is better in most cases (always, climbing long pulls in the deep) lightly modded, so if you think I am in it to win or lose a hill climb and then go away or something you must be cornfused...
And seeing as my experience is opposite in the quoted post I am out to be sure that people get the facts as well, which is in fact why I posted on this. As referred to above I suspect elevation may have quite a bit to do with it.

I will say the only thing different that I can think of is the intake added to the can and Y-pipe, just like I said in my previous posts.

Hope that doesn't ruffle your feathers too much...our experiences are different.

Not getting ruffled and am all about people voicing there opinion, or what others have found. Still have to have it proven in person to back it, no offense. But others can take the info if they want and I have no prob with it.
BTW The bdx intake makes a huge diff in my opinion. More air up where there isn't much and what 7-10lbs less weight. Thats putting you pretty close to m8 weight with more power.
You don't have a y-can only. I agreed that elevation has a factor as well. Just because I myself want proof does not mean I disagree, just not going to back another mod without proof.

How do the modded M1's run against the well set-up BB800 kits? It sure seems like the only mountain sled is in an M chassis in these conversations. Do any of you guys have any ridding partners with well tuned Ski-Doos? How do they compare?:face-icon-small-hap

They don't, we'll have to see about the poo pro. at its wopping 143hp :blah::blah:
At least not from what I have seen from the local sled, But others might have better info,

Last edited:

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
I spent the morning on my first ride of the year (it was awesome) and I was the only 1000 today. The snow pack is awesome, great base and the powder was heavy, not wet, just a heavy powder. Just what we want for early snow. 3 feet at the snow pole at 9200' and even more at 9500+. We rode up to 10130 today and the snow was sick!! (Don't ask where b/c I'm going back on Friday and I want good snow) Anyhow, on long pulls, it's clear that a well setup 1000 (SLP full exhaust and intake pulling 7800-7700 RPM's) has a huge advantage in the power department over the 800's. But it should have. The snow had the weight to really work the motor today and the 1000 will hold the R's and maintain track speed to keep it on top, whereas the 800's would have to turn out much earlier.

I'm not going to get into a which is better debate here b/c the 800's was a hoot to ride through the powder and sidehill around. I've got 30 lbs off my '09 M1000 and the weight is still noticeable when tossing the sleds around. I think it must be the gyro of the motor or something b/c it just feels heavier.

We did have a new Pro with us today and man was that a fantastic sled. I rode a Pro last spring in the hard pack, but it's a jewel in the powder. After coming off a piped 1000 it's obviously down in the power dept. but what a sweet sled to play on. They will be sick with a turbo!

Reading over this post I can see most peoples point of view. I do have to agree with Wyoboy here. Being one that has had a great running M1000 and I've had 0 issues with this sled, I'm all about the full pipe setup. Y pipes and stock 1000's have not been impressive to me and I've seen far to many 1000's with a poor setup that have been dogs. I do have a friend with an '07 M1000 with y pipe and can (with BD box) and it's running 7200-7400. He's happy with it until we ride together and then it's obvious that their is a lot more juice to be had going to 7800 :).

To each their own. Good luck all....

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Everything I here about the pro makes me want one, until I remember its still a polaris. If I had the money I think I would have one (with a powerclaw). wonder if you could stuff a 1000 in it :flame: Have to see what cat has for 2012.

Last edited:

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Everything I here about the pro makes me want one, until I remember its still a polaris. If I had the money I think I would have one (with a powerclaw). wonder if you could stuff a 1000 in it :flame: Have to see what cat has for 2012.

The chassis is sweet. Very responsive, almost effortless. Polaris did a great job. I wasn't as impressed last spring, but after a ride in powder, I'm a fan. I bought a 2010 M8 and it's got 12lbs of boost just waiting for some race gas to get here :). I can't wait to ride it. That should get me to stop thinking about the Pro. But the Pro on boost is going to be wicked.

Pro is a sweet sled. But going back to an n/a 800 just ain't gonna happen :)

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I want to see the comparison of the pro and 10 m8 or piped 1000 in the kind of riding I do, I know the dragon felt like it was very responsive to rider input but wouldn't do half of what the cat would.

Premium Features