• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone ever install a Mountain Performance 144" kit??

T
Dec 10, 2007
Corner Brook
So I've recently started to strip down my stock 04 Viper and piece together the tunnel extension kit, rail extensions and also relocate the skid. I've ran into a few issues along the way and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same....

I installed the Tracks USA rail extensions, these were a piece of cake, just took some very minor adjustments with a file to achieve a perfect fit.

I've drained the cooling system and removed the seat and rear section of the tunnel along with the rear heat exchanger, here's where the issues start.

I now have the tunnel extension riveted in place and it is not designed to accomidate the rear heat exchanger, it is designed to accept the rear corssover tube which I would rather not use. Should I get the heat exchanger modifided (which would mean cutting off the aluminum connecting ends and shortening them up and getting them welded back in place) or should I just use the crossover tube? Also, Mountain Performance gave me hoses that have a smaller diameter than the system on the Viper.

My next concern is, I ordered a set of 8 tooth anti-rachet drivers, there are only two and the original driveshaft set-up has four drivers (includes two outer ones) Is it OK to use only two or should I order two outer 8 tooth drivers from Yamaha???

I would greatly appreciate any help/tips/ino that anyone has to pass along my way

cheers

M
Nov 26, 2007
Not sure on the rear heat exchanger. Most just rivet right one.

When using the anti ratchets you only nee the 2 (only 2 windows in the track). THey will need to be pressed off, and the new pressed on. Pm me your E-Mail addy and I will send you a diagram with measurement that shows where to place the anit-ratcher drivers on the shaft.

While you doing all of this, if you sled has higher milage now is the time to replace the bearings on the shaft.

If you can post some pics of the heat exchanger, and tunnel ext.

GOOD LUCK

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
The heat exchanger needs to be modified just like you said...it will be worth doing. Any good welding shop should be able to do this for pretty cheap. The hoses should be the correct size, call them up and have them send you the right ones....and as stated above, the anti-ratchet drivers only require two drivers vs. Four stock.

T
Dec 10, 2007
Corner Brook
I've checked it all out, if I use the rear cooler that I have it will hang down about 1.5 inches from the rear and it will take a lot of modifying. I'm thinking right now that the easiest route may be to order a mountain max rear cooler, I checked out the one on my 02 Mountain max and it is much smaller and would fit right in, any thoughts?

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
check out the tech pages on totallyamaha.com under the home page. then look under snowmobile tech. then look under chassis, rear suspension and drive. there are two articles on how to do this. one for the rail extension (i wrote) and one for the tunnel extension and heat exchanger. the latter is listed under tunnel and extension and m10 install. i beleive the owner of TY tom (mrsled) wrote that article.

the hoses will seem very tight, you need to heat them to stretch or spray them with carb clean, or something to soften them up and they are a pain in the *** to get on. but they do fit and work.

mountain perf used to make u shaped tunnel roof coolers for the viper, MM and sxR chassis. you might check with them to see if they have any layin around.

do you have a tracks usa tunnel extension or a mountain performance extension? your title for your thread is alittle confusing. ski

Last edited:

scmurs

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
I've done this same project. I used a rear cooler and the OEM rear hoses from a Mountain Viper. Much easier than trying to cram on those little tiny hoses that MPI gave you. I can still remember the directions. Soak the hose in WD-40 to soften them up. Not the best idea IMO.

scmurs

Premium Features