• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BDX Bumper Cracking Tunnel

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Fixed ....

VEBumper.jpg

P.S. You know there's ~90 rivets to put on a new tail and bumper kit .. glad Ive got a pneumatic riveter! :eek:

Last edited:
K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
is there a difference?

So I read most of this thread and I didn't see where anyone asked if this kit actually helps out the performance in deep snow or just the fact that it looks bad a$$...I have an 08 m1000 with the stock boards and one of the guys we ride with has an 09 le m1000 (no side flare on stock boards) and I honestly can't say where it was any difference in float on the snow. I know they say it helps by letting you get down to the "good" snow and gives better traction, but aren't we all trying to stop the trenching when climbing in deep snow. I honstly think they look sweet but for the guys that changed can you let us know if performance wise there is a difference. I am not trying to diss on Mike and BDX by any means, it sounds like he is going to help you out, just want to hear what you guys think.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
One side of mine cracked out already, but I wasn't carefull how I radiused the transition like the OEM. Either way, the tunnel is buckling on both sides, and one side is cracked. There is a deficiency in the design as there is a substantial stress riser there, but it looks like the update may help. Attached is how I bandaided mine to get me through the rest of the season.

attachment.php

Nobodys talking about this yet, but my bumper extrusion is wasted too. Its been getting pointier every time I pull another sled, but after the last extraction its pretty much toast.

attachment.php

I do believe this is a good product, especially when BDX is so willing to update it as the consumer finds faults, but it probably isnt up to par for those of us who really ride hard. Great for 99% of consumers, not so good for the 1% who really push the limits?

P1040393.JPG P1040284.JPG

Last edited:
U

Uller

Nov 26, 2007
Greater NW
Drastic Difference

So I read most of this thread and I didn't see where anyone asked if this kit actually helps out the performance in deep snow or just the fact that it looks bad a$$...I have an 08 m1000 with the stock boards and one of the guys we ride with has an 09 le m1000 (no side flare on stock boards) and I honestly can't say where it was any difference in float on the snow. I know they say it helps by letting you get down to the "good" snow and gives better traction, but aren't we all trying to stop the trenching when climbing in deep snow. I honstly think they look sweet but for the guys that changed can you let us know if performance wise there is a difference. I am not trying to diss on Mike and BDX by any means, it sounds like he is going to help you out, just want to hear what you guys think.

Knzee,

This bumper kit makes a drastic difference in how the M rides through the deep snow. I can even count the number of times that I haven't been stuck this winter when I should have/would have if I hadn't done the bumper kit. It just cuts through the snow to the firmer layer and provides traction when you need it.

The bumper kit doens't cause additional trenching it just allows the tunnel to trench deeper and not get held up above the snow when you need that extra traction.

Look at it as being high centered with a 4x4. If you go through a mud bog with 31" tires you will get stuck because the chassie contacts the mud but, if you add 44" tires to your rig they go down to the firm mud below and allow the truck to pull through it. Not exactly an accurate analogy but close enough.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
I too had done some pretty good extractions before the bumper showed the damage it does now. The latest that did the most of it was pulling an M7 with a blow diamond drive out of the mountains with my sled hooked between it and an HCR. We used a snow bungie to dampen the shock, but thats alot to expect from a thin extrusion.

Its not a 163 bumper on a 153, but I did leave my bumper a bit long.

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Got tired of being the first-to-have-it guinea pig in the automotive mod world. The pointy diamond (no pun intended) bumper is one of the big reasons I've been in wait-and-see mode for nearly a year.

Hook up two Bunjes in parallel with 100 WFO yanks and let me know how it works. With the riding skills of my friends, my M8 is first and foremost a tow truck. :beer;

Last edited:
Premium Features