• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anyone looked at their Diamond S can lately?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I know the 2 cans I got were a couple of the first ones last year... Noticed the one on my 154 when I put the TKI belt drive on so I went and looked at the other one I took off my turbo and it's blown out too ��

IMAG1202.jpg IMAG1201.jpg

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah. They know of the issue. He is going to fix them. Not a big deal.

not a big deal? huh..I think it is, had an original can on my xm and put roughly 30 miles and sold it. New owner went something like 5 miles and blew out and melted side panel. This new version was not supposed to do that. So a $600 can needs to be fixed/patched. Sounds a little crazy to me. Its not like you can weld it at the local shop unless they do TI work.Its not a $200 can...its $600 freakin bucks..

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world. Stuff happens. I wasn't sitting crying about a weak bulkhead or some blown belts. They are taking care of it so that's all that matters to me.

not a big deal? huh..I think it is, had an original can on my xm and put roughly 30 miles and sold it. New owner went something like 5 miles and blew out and melted side panel. This new version was not supposed to do that. So a $600 can needs to be fixed/patched. Sounds a little crazy to me. Its not like you can weld it at the local shop unless they do TI work.Its not a $200 can...its $600 freakin bucks..

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
How many miles those you had go bad? Didn’t pull mine off but running my head across the bottom of it, feels normal. All good.

300 miles on the least cracked one and 650 on the more cracked one. Does yours have big flanges like the picture? Scott said that is the problem. Too much vibration. They went to a thicker bottom he said as well. I think they cut the bottom of the can off and then weld a new one on minus the big flange.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
300 miles on the least cracked one and 650 on the more cracked one. Does yours have big flanges like the picture? Scott said that is the problem. Too much vibration. They went to a thicker bottom he said as well. I think they cut the bottom of the can off and then weld a new one on minus the big flange.

I think it does have the big flange, I’ll check tomorrow

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Maybe it is the type of titanium used? There are many types and maybe it is not acclimated to severe vibration with heat/ cool down, I am sure they will come up with a cure/replacement if needed! Mike

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Not to rain on anyones parade, but ti fatigues and cracks easier than steel by a mile. I got into it knowing that when I bought my Diamond S can. But they are pretty and light and cool. MY last one was still good after 2 seasons on the XM Anytime you get anything titanium fatigue is an issue from sailboats to suspension parts. That is why we do not see it used much more. Never mind cost.

Turtle

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Mine did it on my last sled. He replaced it with a new one and the new one did the same thing. Moved onto an 850 and went another direction. Yes they replace them but for the price and its happening more than it should.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
I know the 2 cans I got were a couple of the first ones last year... Noticed the one on my 154 when I put the TKI belt drive on so I went and looked at the other one I took off my turbo and it's blown out too ��

The entire bottom pipe fell off my 850, melted the bottom, the side panel, the vent above it, and quite a bit of the airbox. In addition everything in the sled was brown after.

I have the fixed can sitting in a box, I did not put it back on, now I am not sure if I will at all, may go a different route.

Had one on my 15 etec, did not have any problems with it.

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
My Titanium one is cracked on my Polaris as well. Might have to try the ssi titanium cans I know there not as quiet.

I
Jul 5, 2001
Ti can

Yep mine did the same, melted bottom plastic, I welded it back up myself with a reinforcement plate......

Hate waiting in the middle of winter for repairs.....:face-icon-small-fro

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
I think it does have the big flange, I’ll check tomorrow

b00b6cc987ea8215271ba9194314a76f.jpg

This is what mine looks like, a bit over 500 miles

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Looks like you left all that useless foam in there. That probably helps dampen the vibration. I'd still be suspect if you got your can early last year. The part where it started to crack on both mine isn't in your picture. It would be farther right than the picture shows.

Titanium 375

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Ephraim, Utah
www.diamond-smfg.com
The entire bottom pipe fell off my 850, melted the bottom, the side panel, the vent above it, and quite a bit of the airbox. In addition everything in the sled was brown after.

I have the fixed can sitting in a box, I did not put it back on, now I am not sure if I will at all, may go a different route.

Had one on my 15 etec, did not have any problems with it.
A couple of our first releases had an issue, they have been redesigned and if you send it in we'll take care of it. Diamond S

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Premium Features