• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

running but not right

N
Jan 10, 2011
Flagstaff, Arizona
2006 RMK 900 purchased in 2010 with 1200 miles. Now has 1800 miles. We have had zero problems with it until yesterday.

Previous owner installed new Polaris crank and primary kit and SLP torque/push arms, exhaust, heads, air intake.

Sled was running fine until it stalled and back fired after about 30 minutes of easy riding up to our cabin. Started back up but was fussy, sounded funny, smelled like fuel was rich, had about half as much power.

Would not stay running without a little throttle.

No check engine light.

A video of start up and sound of the struggling/stalling motor is at https://youtu.be/KEFfntKDBfU

I honestly don't know much about sled motors in general.
Anyone have an idea where we should start looking?
Thanks so much,
Neil

N
Jan 10, 2011
Flagstaff, Arizona
Been a good year for riding so far :)

IMG_20170129_162037583_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170127_131322419.jpg

N
Jan 10, 2011
Flagstaff, Arizona
100psi in one cylinder, 58 in the other.

Anyone have a recommended/preferred parts list for rebuilding?

Any suggestions on our best way to approach the rebuild is much appreciated. There are a few shops in the eastern AZ/White Mountains area that I trust. Would it be best to ship this motor off to someone who is an expert?

Thanks,
Neil

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
100psi in one cylinder, 58 in the other.

Anyone have a recommended/preferred parts list for rebuilding?

Any suggestions on our best way to approach the rebuild is much appreciated. There are a few shops in the eastern AZ/White Mountains area that I trust. Would it be best to ship this motor off to someone who is an expert?

Thanks,
Neil

Send the Cylinders out to be checked or possibly have the nikasil replated. Most guys will say run only the 06 OEM pistons at which I agree with fully. Check your bottom end and make sure everything looks good if not I recommend getting a TM1 bottom end if you want to spend the money, $2200 I believe, but that gets you a fully rebuildable crank and comes with a clutch I believe.

While the motor is out if you pull it, check the motor mounts and make sure they are not cracked, checked the throttle body intake boots and make sure they are not cracked, check your exhaust valves to make sure everything is clean and the guillotine's are not worn/cracked.

Once you put it back together I would always run a premix of at least 100:1.

This is from Indy Specialty. Check out the bottom of the document and you'll see.

https://media.wix.com/ugd/b0a1ca_8acc53d75ab94fe68d81f2c569700731.pdf

N
Jan 10, 2011
Flagstaff, Arizona
Everything will be in a crate and shipped to Indy Specialty in the next few weeks.
Quite comfortable dealing with one rebuild before giving up on her. The rest of the sled is in 100% perfect shape...

pd4.jpg

pd7.jpg

pd3.jpg

pd2.jpg

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Wish u had an 05 chassis. I'd sell you a low mile TM3 IndyDan built motor. Complete ready to install.

You can install it in the 06 but need to adjust the steering Column.

I'll include the ecu also. Just need to change 1 of the main wiring harness to the 05 (mines jacked up)

Let me knw, otherwise good luck and hope it all works out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features