• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Performance new air box tech discussion.

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
I have been working on different ways to get air to a boosted motor for alot of years. I have a big old pile of part that have been offered up to the gods of speed . Well here is one that has been working very well.

We have tried it on our Polaris and skidoo products.

The concept is that when you are off boost. the gate will open giving you the na feel on the bottom end. By sucking in air just like a na sled . Then when boost rises the gate will shut and the air box will become sealed letting the box be pressurized.

Now there is alot if back and forth chatter here at the shop about this. Here are the comments
*it adds to much cost to the kit .
* It works good and that is all that matters .
* my Turbo is spot on without all that mess.
*get a bigger box and you are good .
* You have stopped all the velocity of air movement
* Bryce you better get some papers drawn up.

Well I have decided that I am a sledder. I love my job . I build stuff to help everyone have a better riding experience. That makes me feel good. So I wanted to get some input here for the real life riders. While releasing this product to the world wide web.

Now, I have my own devices and I have my own thoughts, I have data logged how it works. I have data on down falls and I also have data on the up side.

Take a look discuss it and tell me your thoughts. If you are a manufacturer or another turbo system builder I want to hear from you also.
The concept or idea is not new. But as far as I know. No one has ever put a system like this Into production. I think have found a stepping stone that might open up other ways of thinking .

0c78b5a43f91bef9d453fa58401fc474.jpg

ba4107804ce0ce28699b67ea17868a20.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Few years back I was thinking the same thing, I added a few check valves that did the same idea, to the stock aero airbox, they were designed for the xp plastic air boxes that allowed extra air in if restriction.. So I had thought it could help at initial stab of the throttle where motor would make a vacuume before boost hits..

But the design I used also would not hold the pressure under boost and started to leak, so I had removed them, if you had used a stronger check valve, this could very well work... Worth a try

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I've seen a similar concept used in the past... that used a small reed block as the valve.... from what I recall, It was an effective system... with the concern being a clean air supply to the valve.

If the sled is making boost at engagement, this... IMO... would be less concern.

Fast spool and efficient compressor design would, to me, lessen the impact of this.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
idea looks good but tuning in the spring load looks like a pain. I suppose there is a sweet spot for it to find the right tension for the specific amount of vacuum being drawn.
is there more vacuum pressure the closer into the engine you go? like could you run a hose from the banjo on the "blow in valve" to a double barb and threaded fitting to exit the air box then tap the other side into the crank case like old fuel pumps to make your intake "blow in valve" more responsive? I imagine theres a little dead time there where throttles cut bov exhausts and vacuum starts so every little thing makes big differences

Premium Features