• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 KTM 400XCW setup

w74bronco

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2016
So I've never snowbiked, but saw a few out this year and decided to snowcheck a Mototrax Enduro. I went with the Mototrax due to claims it could do more with less cc's. As I already have a 2009 KTM 400 XCW I hardly use in the summer anyways, I figured why not get some more use out of it.

I'm looking for any advice on parts/mods I should be making in the offseason now to create a more reliable machine come winter. I'll be riding primarily in Pacific NW, usually around Cle Elum, WA. I've seen mention of carb heaters, airbox mods, engine covers, etc. I haven't seen anyone running my exact bike, so those familiar with the sport might have some good advice to offer.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So I've never snowbiked, but saw a few out this year and decided to snowcheck a Mototrax Enduro. I went with the Mototrax due to claims it could do more with less cc's. As I already have a 2009 KTM 400 XCW I hardly use in the summer anyways, I figured why not get some more use out of it.

I'm looking for any advice on parts/mods I should be making in the offseason now to create a more reliable machine come winter. I'll be riding primarily in Pacific NW, usually around Cle Elum, WA. I've seen mention of carb heaters, airbox mods, engine covers, etc. I haven't seen anyone running my exact bike, so those familiar with the sport might have some good advice to offer.

With a 4 stroke I would get a good stat to keep it warm and then just cover the carb with neoprene.... its not like a 2 stroke... Then the airbox.... I would go with some type of dryfilter for sure and jet richer... Timbersled pod filer or something like it...

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Most days you can get by with just an Outerwears filter in your stock airbox. $22 from Slavens, it's not as good as going with the round can looking things, but I've run a whole season with one, and only have to clean out the airbox on super deep blower days.

w74bronco

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2016
Thanks for the feedback guys. Seems pretty minor to get ready for snow. I have an upgraded Trailtech Stator, so I'm at least adding heated grips as well.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Deferent longer and/or wider footpegs is about the only other maybe?

Barmits instead of grip heaters, or just good gloves?

I just ride with deferent gloves, depending on how cold.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
if you are too cheap to buy stiffer springs, cut some SCH80 PVC pipe down as preload spacers. Grip heaters make snowbiking much mroe enjoyable

w74bronco

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2016
Thanks for the feeback guys. I appreciate the input, hopefully it helps out others who might be looking. I ended up buying a leftover Husqvarna FE501 instead. Starting over on my research.

Premium Features